Change to Dish Headlines channel?

Altitudinous

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 6, 2020
Northern NM, Northeast FL
I like to monitor channel 207 (and 151), the Headlines channel. Normally, it contained CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, Fox Business, Bloomberg, and C-SPAN in various combinations depending on whether the stock market was open or not. Yesterday, MSNBC was gone. Today, still gone. It's Fox, Fox Business, CNN, and Bloomberg, even though markets are closed. Anybody have any inside info on why MSNBC is gone from the mosaic? Perhaps some kind of "dispute" with Dish? :biggrin

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I like to monitor channel 207 (and 151), the Headlines channel. Normally, it contained CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, Fox Business, Bloomberg, and C-SPAN in various combinations depending on whether the stock market was open or not. Yesterday, MSNBC was gone. Today, still gone. It's Fox, Fox Business, CNN, and Bloomberg, even though markets are closed. Anybody have any inside info on why MSNBC is gone from the mosaic? Perhaps some kind of "dispute" with Dish? :biggrin
Actually, yes.
As a result, do not expect to see either MSNBC or CNBC on the Dish Headlines channel at all, until some time after a long-term contract is eventually reached.

do not expect to see either MSNBC or CNBC on the Dish Headlines channel at all, until some time after a long-term contract is eventually reached.
Interesting...thanks. But yet MSNBC and CNBC are available in their normal places, at 208 and 209, with guide data, while MSNBC is missing from the Headlines channel. Maybe somebody on Dish chat would know for sure what the deal is. On second thought, probably not.

• Sad
Interesting...thanks. But yet MSNBC and CNBC are available in their normal places, at 208 and 209, with guide data,
Yes, that would be expected, until the channels actually get pulled. (If they get pulled.) I only remember one really nasty dispute (AMC in 2012) when Dish moved the channels to new channel numbers before they got pulled, to make them harder to find. However, Dish is not going to use their apps (such as Dish Headlines) to promote channels that may soon be in dispute, or are still in negotiations even if the negotiations are actually going well. This was a routine practice in the Premium Showcase app (when Dish still had a Premium Showcase app) where certain premium packages would disappear from being listed there for awhile. At the same time, Dish would stop offering promotional discounts on those packages, and stop advertising them to new customers. Then, after a long-term contract was finally reached, those premium packages would show up in the app again, and promo discount offerings would resume.

MSNBC has been replaying old Dateline episodes over the holidays, so that might be why they pulled it from the mosaic. If you're looking for news on the Headlines Channel, you're not going to want to see Dateline.

Last edited:
Dish is not going to use their apps (such as Dish Headlines) to promote channels that may soon be in dispute
Good point. With these guys,
1609533326792.png

Reactions: SandFarmer
MSNBC has been replaying old Dateline episodes over the holidays, so that might be why they pulled it from the mosaic. If you're looking for news on the Headlines Channel, you're not going to want to see Dateline.
They let everyone off. They did have someone on when they had updates and news conferences on the Nashville bombing. They always do that during the holidays.

Reactions: dishdude
so let me understand this.... is msnbc / cnbc gonna be pulled from their regular channel slots or just kept from the headline channel? is there a dispute coming? what other channels would be involved besides those 2?

so let me understand this.... is msnbc / cnbc gonna be pulled from their regular channel slots or just kept from the headline channel? is there a dispute coming? what other channels would be involved besides those 2?
For now, they will stay on their regular channel numbers. I would not expect to see them in the Dish Headline channel, since Dish is preparing for a dispute with the NBC Universal channels. At a minimum, this dispute may involve NBC Sports Network, all of the regional NBC Sports channels (the ones Dish is still carrying, anyway), Golf Channel, NBC Universo, and all of the local NBC and Telemundo stations owned by Comcast/NBC.

For now, they will stay on their regular channel numbers. I would not expect to see them in the Dish Headline channel, since Dish is preparing for a dispute with the NBC Universal channels. At a minimum, this dispute may involve NBC Sports Network, all of the regional NBC Sports channels (the ones Dish is still carrying, anyway), Golf Channel, NBC Universo, and all of the local NBC and Telemundo stations owned by Comcast/NBC.
Never fails . NBCSN is just getting ready for hockey!:mad:

Even though I am not a fan of MSNBC (even feel the same for Fox News lately), I still think it should be included on Dish Headlines. It's nice to go to one channel to get various perspectives without actually physically changing the channel (just have to highlight which channel's audio you want playing).

Even though I am not a fan of MSNBC (even feel the same for Fox News lately), I still think it should be included on Dish Headlines. It's nice to go to one channel to get various perspectives without actually physically changing the channel (just have to highlight which channel's audio you want playing).
That is an appealing capability, if for no other reason but to avoid commercials... Unless these news channels all synchronize their ads. Do they?

That is an appealing capability, if for no other reason but to avoid commercials... Unless these news channels all synchronize their ads. Do they?
I've actually done a little testing on that over the years. Most of the time when I leave one channel for another due to a commercial break the next channel is also doing a commercial. So, yes, I believe they all break at exactly the same time. And it is not just the news it is regular programming as well.

Unless these news channels all synchronize their ads. Do they?
No, they don't. I very often have the mosaic on in my home office, with FXNWS, FXBUS, MSNBC, CNN and they break at varying times.

Of course, now we have the all-important Weather Nation taking up space. At least even during its commercials, you can look at the temperatures in places where you don't live.

I don't think I checked yesterday, but today the Headlines mosaic is back to normal for a market-open day.
FXNEWS, CNN, MSNBC, FOXBus, CNBC, Bloomberg

So maybe a NBC potential dispute was not the reason for MSNBC being missing.
There is this election going on today. That might have something to do with it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)