Change to Hopper or stay with 622 with distant networks?

Crickee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Virginia
We currently have a 622 with no available locals, we purchase the distant networks from All American Direct. We also have the system set up so we can watch TV 1 or TV 2 in any room with the exception of TV 1 can only watch TV 1. We love this set up and I am not sure how the H/J set up would be advantageous to us other than obvious increase in DVR space. We don't want to give up our distants and haven't seen anything here about them with the H/J setup. I have been reading here and think the new setup is very interesting especially since I mostly watch the dvr anyway.

Thanks for all the great info on here!

That is fantastic news!!!! We have been waiting to upgrade, the 622 is 6 years old and has been doing funny things lately, maybe this is the time.

Just like any receiver it has nothing to do with what programming you get other than HD or 3D. Any current dish receiver will get the AAD distants. It's the satellite that matters and obviously you already get the programmimg!

I assume that the PTAT will work wwith Dish DNS on the East Coast channels on the WA satellite becuase they are HD. All of the AAD DNS channels are SD and everything stated about PTAT says HD only.

It also says your local channels. I'm not sure that it will recognize "distants" as "locals". Also, if they're not all on the same TP then it won't work. Personally, I would plan on it not working, and be pleasantly surprised if it did.

The below assumes a Hopper only setup.

The Hopper only produces one output so all TVs will be watching the same program. This is probably a show-stopper for your application.

With the Hopper, you lose the RF modulator so you'll need to acquire an outboard modulator to drive all of your other TVs with that single program.

As AAD isn't HD, I suspect it will not work with PTAT which seems to demand HD (or more likely, the multiplexing scheme that is used with HD channels).

Also, if they're not all on the same TP then it won't work.
The Dish DNS channels are grouped on single TPs: for the WA East Coast SDs (119:20), the WA West Coast HDs (110:17), the EA East Coast HDs (72.7:32), and the EA West Coast SDs(72.7:22).

but you're confusing the two

you have distants through Dish via the RV/semi-truck waiver
the OP has distants through AAD which are only in SD so they wont record on PTAT (HD Only)....AAD doesnt carry HD locals anymore

I will assume the OP cant get distants through Dish ;)

Correct Iceberg! As of last year we could get a local set of channels, but the CBS station is based out of DC, we chose to keep the AAD distants because of the dvr functionality. The PTAT isn't that big of an issue for us. We don't want to lose the functionality of the setup we currently have, it is very parent/kid friendly. We wired our house when it was built for Primestar, waaaay back and when we switched to Dish in 1998, we only had to change the setup outside for the Dish 500 DNLR.

So if we don't want to lose/change functionality, we should rule out the H/J set up. If you had to update a DVR receiver which would you go with the 722? Is the 922 not available anymore? I don't see it on Dish's site. Thanks for educating me!!!!

The only thing I'd be worried about is with Dish ANY changes to the account will force you into locals. This includes upgrading receivers. You could keep the AAD (separate company) but you'd have to get "locals"

Crickee-

I recommend looking at the ViP722K. And don't let them tell you the ViP622, ViP722 & ViP722K are all considered the same. Tell them a quick consultation with your money assures you they are NOT. You'd do best to deal with a local retailer, if you can, to ensure you get the K model.

Why the K? Mostly due to one thing: You can save your timers to the remote, and restore to a replacement receiver one day if your receiver goes bad. Others like the second OTA, better chipset, new remote, etc.

premiums are exempt. But if he changes receivers I've heard of the system forcing you to get locals

Correct from posts here. If you have a package that does not include locals, you will and will pay for them if you make changes, not just receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)