Change which receiver is the Remote TV2 receiver

billash

Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Set up:
Receiver 1- 522 to 2 tv sets…initial install was direct input of cable to both TVs.
Receiver 2- 322 or 311 to 2 tv sets…initial install was direct to one tv and then remote to TV2.

Now, I want to have the 522 use the remote TV2 . At first I thought I could simply take the splitter (or diplex) from the 322 and hook it up to the 522 and then feed the TV distribution back and that would work. I was wrong. I changed all channels, etc (air, cable), and the remote TV2 will not pick up from the 522 receiver.

Dish says that the installer must have hardwired this cable outlet and will not allow full home distribution. Am I missing something or is TV 2 home distribution not supposed to work for every in-home cable outlet?

I suspect the answer from Dish is correct, that at least one of your receivers were hardwire to the TV or TV's; but more specifically, all of your receivers are not feeding a home distribution system, particularly those that are feeding a TV directly.

Depending on which receivers you have, you may not be able to put all of the "satellite receivers TV1 and TV2 outpus" on a home distribution system.
Reasons...
- The 311 has a single output on either Channel 3 or Channel 4.
- The 322 has two outputs, but TV1 can only select Channel 3 or Channel 4.
- The 522 has two outputs, and I believe it is also limited on which channel TV1 can output on.
Someone may clarify this, or I may check the 522 documents later and then edit this.

Now if you had 2 ViP622's, you could use 4 different channels and put all 4 outputs (2 TV1's and 2 TV2's) on a home distribution system and they will not interfere with each other, as long as there is a blank channel in between.
- Ex: Ch 61, Ch 63, Ch 65, and Ch 67.

In any case...
It will be hard for anyone to give you an answer since it appears that you do not know what type of receivers you have. Also, a "splitter" and a "diplexer" operate differently, and diplexers operate in pairs or in conjunction with a home node.

EDIT:
If you take another look at your hook-ups to try and figure this out, go to the below link and you will find a lot of info that might make this simple, especially the documents titled "Distribution Examples".
DISH Pro 500 & DISH Pro 500 Plus Information Documents | Solid Signal

Last edited:
Ok…I will try better. For clarification purposes I will name the TVs.

I have a 322 dual rcvr downstairs. It runs Sony and Phillips. It runs Sony as the direct input TV1. It runs Phillips as the remote TV2 (i.e. not directly hooked to the TV…it runs through the in-home distribution).

The 522 dual rcvr is upstairs. It runs Apex and RCA. It runs Apex as a the direct input TV1. It runs RCA as the TV2 with a direct input (i.e. cable straight from the rcvr to the tv). RCA is going away.

I have bought a Vizio and am putting it downstairs where Phillips use to be (Phillips is going away).

I know will only have 3 TVs in the home. As of now, I have Apex upstairs hooked up directly to the 522. Sony and Vizio are downstairs and running from the 322 (again, the Vizio is running as the remote TV2 from the 322 rcvr).

I want to have to have Vizio run as remote TV2 from the 522. However, when I hooked the 522 up (i.e. put the diplexer on this rcvr instead of the 322) to backfeed in to the home distribution it would not work. I tried changing the Vizio channel to 21-69; 73-125 and changed the modulater on the 522 TV2 to match. Nothing happens.

Dish tech sup tells me that the installer did something that allowed only 1 cable outlet in the home to run as a remote TV2. On a side note, the cable outlet closest to the one currently in use as TV2 does not work…so my thinking it that Dish is correct, but how/why did the installer do this?

I think the tv1 remote is just IR, while TV2 is a UHF antenna.

Is this your question? If so, an IR remote extender may fix your problem.

HTH

nevermind - I misunderstood the question. It sounds like a cable issue.

Not a problem w the remotes. I guess the installer just hardwired only one outlet in the house to pick up TV2. I see where he split it and directly hooked it up to go to that outlet. Good way to get repeat business i guess.