Changed TV's need 3rd Joey. Lease or Buy?

Barry Erick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Dallas
I need a third Joey in the spa room, now that I no longer have a Old, analog set there. What would my costs be to Lease a Joey (+$7 per month) or by a Joey (varies)+$7 a month?

ABSOLUTELY a benefit to buying. If you own it, you can deactivate and reactivate it at will, on a day by day basis, saving money when you don't use it. I know, I'm doing this. 2 leased HWS, 1 owned Joey.

ABSOLUTELY a benefit to buying. If you own it, you can deactivate and reactivate it at will, on a day by day basis, saving money when you don't use it. I know, I'm doing this. 2 leased HWS, 1 owned Joey.

It's true that there are benefits to owning equipment but not for most people. If you do not like to be under contract or like to be able to activate and deactivate equipment when you please then owning equipment is the way to go.

Buy it, run a coax from client port on node (prob have to remove a terminator) to the Joey. Easy. And if you like, once you've set it up with coax, you can move to wireless, although Dish does not support that.

It's true that there are benefits to owning equipment but not for most people. If you do not like to be under contract or like to be able to activate and deactivate equipment when you please then owning equipment is the way to go.

For my money, the Joey is the only Dish equipment worth buying, not leasing.

Gee, to put this in, it takes 1 triple splitter -- I already installed, and move the RG6 cable on the analog splitter to the triple splitter, install the joey at the tv, call dish.The kind of installs that most would not want because it is a bother there is so little, if I tell them what cables are what.

Gee, to put this in, it takes 1 triple splitter -- I already installed, and move the RG6 cable on the analog splitter to the triple splitter, install the joey at the tv, call dish.The kind of installs that most would not want because it is a bother there is so little, if I tell them what cables are what.

Sounds like you might as well buy a Joey and do it yourself then. You would be able to deactivate it whenever you want to then to save $7. You could also sell it at some point if you didn't need it anymore.

I would buy the Joey and self-install if any of the below applied:
Dish wants any sort of up front equipment charge - shipping, Joey cost, etc
Dish wants a service call fee
Dish wants a contract extension
I wanted to add/remove the Joey as needed​

If none of the above applied, then I'd probably go ahead an do the straight lease. Why pay up front if no real benefit.

Since this is an occasional use, it would seem more economical to Sling the content. You could Sling to a laptop or mobile device and connect it to your TV. While it requires a grater investment, you could even get a Slingbox 350 and a connected device like a WD Live product and Sling directly to the TV. The benefit to Sling in either scenario is no monthly fees ever, and you can use it on impulse, whenever you want without having to call Dish and activate, shut off, and reactivate and incur the $7 or more if into the 2nd month.

I don't think he ever stated it was an occasional use location.

If mirroring is an acceptable, there are less expensive ways than slingbox that would offer a better experience.

Using the sling adapter/HWS would offer some independence, but personally I'd pay vs having to deal with DishAnywhere in any of it's current forms.

I don't think he ever stated it was an occasional use location.

If mirroring is an acceptable, there are less expensive ways than slingbox that would offer a better experience.

Using the sling adapter/HWS would offer some independence, but personally I'd pay vs having to deal with DishAnywhere in any of it's current forms.

Fair points. I must have misunderstood. I thought it was for occasional use. Anyway, yeah, mirroring would seem the most economical. I was trying to think of avoiding the $7 per month, even if only now and then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)