changes afoot at the FCC for AM's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ah, they do....but....here's the thing.

FM translators are NOT protected. Any larger FM that can be "dropped in" will negate a translator license. The FCC will litter the FM band with these "you can have one" (translators)...then blame the traditional (AM/FM) media for its demise in listenership when nobody wants to listen due to overlapping signals! Too many low power FM's (and I don't mean LPFM's, but those too) will clutter the band. This is another example of our government creating an "entitlement" ...this time to AM radio.

Find it odd that I say this? We own an FM translator. But, we did the proper engineering studies, and went through all the hoops to get it.

Like many things, if it's good, and it's wanted......it becomes "let's give it to everybody."

I'm not impressed with this "solution" to helping AM.

AM needs owners that care, and programmers that provide engaging on-air material. People listen for content, not the medium on which something is carried.
The FCC needs to make it easier to own the smaller AM's, by private companies, not huge corporations, cut our regulatory fees which are way overpriced (as high as some larger FM signals in many cases) and start waking up that "more, and bigger" is not always better, nor the solution.

?

I'd love to see the big corporations divest all their AM stations back to smaller owners. That's what we need to keep AM going. It's all about the content. I also sent the FCC commissioner a comment that if AM is to succeed, it needs to have IBOC banned. IBOC on AM isn't helping not one iota, rather it is making things worse with all the splatter.

IBOC has been a terrible thing for AM. Zero interest by consumers where AM is concerned, and a limitation on bandwidth available if you opt to broadcast it, plus HUGE fees for the licensing! I'd rather continue analog AM stereo well done.

I'm not sure ALL the AM's need to come back to small owners. But, when they're spun into "trusts" that just sit and sit...and sit.... because larger owners acquire too many stations and need to divest (without someone caring about the programming, sound, and community service,) those particular AM's can become a horrible example of what AM can sink-to!

On the other side of the coin, small owners work harder and have their lives invested IN the stations if they're truly "radio" people.
When Radio stations became real estate transactions, the downslide began.

AM needs good "care and feeding" by quality owners. You're headed in the right direction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts