Changing DTV Locals (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

crowderk

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
May 27, 2010
Iowa
We've had DTV Now for several months after canceling DISH. It works fairly well but does have it's hiccups. Considering DTV our only concern is the County we live in does not have any Locals available. Surrounding Counties have the Des Moines, IA. Locals (which we had with DISH after changing service address). Can this be done with DTV after the install is complete?

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Generally yes, you just need to get customer service to change your service address to an address in the county with locals. If your original package is a no locals package, you will need to change package which will cost $3 more.

I'd recommend waiting a few weeks after install to be sure everything works well first. When you call say their was already a dish at the new house, you hooked up the receiver and everything is working ok.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
Just curious, what market in Iowa doesn't have locals? What are the markets that don't have locals on Directv? I only know of Aroostook County ME, Zanesville OH, and the two Wyoming DMAs. And the Virgin Islands.

crowderk

May 27, 2010
Iowa
Just curious, what market in Iowa doesn't have locals? What are the markets that don't have locals on Directv? I only know of Aroostook County ME, Zanesville OH, and the two Wyoming DMAs. And the Virgin Islands.

Ottumwa/Kirksville.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Ottumwa/Kirksville.
Local Channels Lookup

Local Channels Availability
Local Channels Lookup
More than likely, we have your local channels! Enter your ZIP Code to find out if we carry your local channels in your area:

Zip Code: Check

Yes! Local channels are available in your area: Des Moines-Ames IA 52501 We have provided a complete list of local stations and channel numbers below.

High-definition (HD) local channels from DIRECTV are also available in your area. To receive them you will need an HD system

Available Channels
Network Affiliate Local Channel # 3-Digit Channel # HD Channel
ABC WOI 5 5
CBS KCCI 8 8
PBS KDIN 11 11
NBC WHO 13 13
FOX KDSM 17 17
IND KDMI 19 19
CW KCWI 23 23
ION ION 39 39

Standard Local Channels: Most can receive these local channels using any DIRECTV® System. Certain select markets will require an MPEG-4 capable receiver. If you are eligible to receive local channels from us and don't have the correct equipment now, when you upgrade your receiver online, we will match the proper receiver for your market.

Locals: Eligibility based on service address. Not all networks available in all markets.

HD Locals: Eligibility based on service address. DIRECTV Slimline dish required in some markets to receive HD local networks delivered by DIRECTV. H20 or HR20 model DIRECTV HD Receiver and HD or HD-ready television set required to display HD programming from DIRECTV.

Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change. Hardware and programming sold separately.

crowderk

May 27, 2010
Iowa
Local Channels Lookup

Local Channels Availability
Local Channels Lookup
More than likely, we have your local channels! Enter your ZIP Code to find out if we carry your local channels in your area:

Zip Code: Check

Yes! Local channels are available in your area: Des Moines-Ames IA 52501 We have provided a complete list of local stations and channel numbers below.

High-definition (HD) local channels from DIRECTV are also available in your area. To receive them you will need an HD system

Available Channels
Network Affiliate Local Channel # 3-Digit Channel # HD Channel
ABC WOI 5 5
CBS KCCI 8 8
PBS KDIN 11 11
NBC WHO 13 13
FOX KDSM 17 17
IND KDMI 19 19
CW KCWI 23 23
ION ION 39 39

Standard Local Channels: Most can receive these local channels using any DIRECTV® System. Certain select markets will require an MPEG-4 capable receiver. If you are eligible to receive local channels from us and don't have the correct equipment now, when you upgrade your receiver online, we will match the proper receiver for your market.

Locals: Eligibility based on service address. Not all networks available in all markets.

HD Locals: Eligibility based on service address. DIRECTV Slimline dish required in some markets to receive HD local networks delivered by DIRECTV. H20 or HR20 model DIRECTV HD Receiver and HD or HD-ready television set required to display HD programming from DIRECTV.

Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change. Hardware and programming sold separately.

Depends what county you select when you enter 52501 (Wapello Co) not provided (Mahaska Co) Des Moines Locals Provided. We’re in Wapello

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
Ottumwa/Kirksville.

Thanks. I had honestly never seen that DMA squeezed into the DMA map I always look at. It is written very small and my eyes had just skipped over it. Learn something new everyday. Definitely a case where you have to "move" nearby to get the locals. Des Moines is the obvious choice, Cedar Rapids/Waterloo is probably possible, too, but I would assume you would want Des Moines.

crowderk

May 27, 2010
Iowa
Thanks. I had honestly never seen that DMA squeezed into the DMA map I always look at. It is written very small and my eyes had just skipped over it. Learn something new everyday. Definitely a case where you have to "move" nearby to get the locals. Des Moines is the obvious choice, Cedar Rapids/Waterloo is probably possible, too, but I would assume you would want Des Moines.

Wouldn’t matter really. I just wanted to make sure ‘moving’ was something I could after install.

slice1900

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 14, 2015
IA
The thing that is really surprising about Ottumwa not having locals is that the D14 satellite they launched 5 years ago includes a dedicated spot beam for Ottumwa, so I always assumed it was getting locals once D14 went live.

That it never did leads me to believe that the cost of setting up the LRF i.e. local receive facility, the private line to one of the regional uplink sites, and the equipment in that site to do the uplink is high enough that Directv felt it would cost more to add Ottumwa's locals than they lose in business from not having them.

It isn't just Ottumwa either, D14 included several dedicated spot beams to other unserved DMAs, plus some other still unused beams to markets covered by D11/D12 that would enable them to move stuff around and support other unserved markets. I'm not positive but they might have even been able to cover all 12 missing DMAs.

Turns out they never added ANY new DMAs after D14 launched. I think between the time it was designed and the time it was launched they decided it wasn't worth the cost to cover them. Or maybe they only put the hardware in place in case laws changed and they were required to serve every single market, they'd be able to do so with existing satellites.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
The thing that is really surprising about Ottumwa not having locals is that the D14 satellite they launched 5 years ago includes a dedicated spot beam for Ottumwa, so I always assumed it was getting locals once D14 went live.

That it never did leads me to believe that the cost of setting up the LRF i.e. local receive facility, the private line to one of the regional uplink sites, and the equipment in that site to do the uplink is high enough that Directv felt it would cost more to add Ottumwa's locals than they lose in business from not having them.

It isn't just Ottumwa either, D14 included several dedicated spot beams to other unserved DMAs, plus some other still unused beams to markets covered by D11/D12 that would enable them to move stuff around and support other unserved markets. I'm not positive but they might have even been able to cover all 12 missing DMAs.

Turns out they never added ANY new DMAs after D14 launched. I think between the time it was designed and the time it was launched they decided it wasn't worth the cost to cover them. Or maybe they only put the hardware in place in case laws changed and they were required to serve every single market, they'd be able to do so with existing satellites.

Do you know what the current missing DMAs are off the top of your head or easily accessible?

slice1900

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 14, 2015
IA
Do you know what the current missing DMAs are off the top of your head or easily accessible?

You can check the spreadsheet on cutting edge, I believe it or one of the others available lists the ones that are missing. They are all very small ranging from 4K to maybe 100K people living them I believe.

harrisburgpatv

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 30, 2013
Mechanicsburg, PA
As someone who's done this a few times over the last 5 years that I've had the service, I look for houses for sale in the area I want to "move" to, and just add 1/2 to the house number (I think I got that tip here). I'm currently "living" in Greencastle (not far from where I live now), so I can get my current locals *AND* the DC ones (Greencastle is in a "significantly viewed" area).

cpalmer2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 18, 2013
United States
As someone who's done this a few times over the last 5 years that I've had the service, I look for houses for sale in the area I want to "move" to, and just add 1/2 to the house number (I think I got that tip here). I'm currently "living" in Greencastle (not far from where I live now), so I can get my current locals *AND* the DC ones (Greencastle is in a "significantly viewed" area).

Out of curiosity do you get both in HD or are the SV channels in SD only?

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
Out of curiosity do you get both in HD or are the SV channels in SD only?

Depends on the market... some, like CT and southern VA get them in HD. Why? Who knows. They are lucky. I get mine (VT) in HD because they have always been an HD-only market so there have never been any SD channels to give. Others (most) get them in SD only.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
Depends on the market... some, like CT and southern VA get them in HD. Why? Who knows. They are lucky. I get mine (VT) in HD because they have always been an HD-only market so there have never been any SD channels to give. Others (most) get them in SD only.
I get some NYC locals as SV. They were originally in sd, but now I get them in hd, but only through the CONUS channels, not the local ones. IOW, the NYC local hd channels don't show in the guide, but the CONUS ones do. Odd, huh?

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
I get some NYC locals as SV. They were originally in sd, but now I get them in hd, but only through the CONUS channels, not the local ones. IOW, the NYC local hd channels don't show in the guide, but the CONUS ones do. Odd, huh?
Which NYC locals the superstations?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont

Very odd. They probably added them for you because there was no excuse that it didn't reach you.

When I lived in NC, I got 3 Roanoke VA channels as SV. If you look it up in the thing, it only shows WDBJ and WSET, but WSLS was there, too. On the other side of the border, the Roanoke DMA, they got a bunch of our Greensboro channels as SV but they got them in HD. Made no sense. Some of the same channels (WGHP and WFMY) were also SV in the Raleigh DMA but were only SD. Interestingly, it was the same way on cable.

Others have posted on here about random HD SV channels across the country, most recently in NE OK.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts