Changing DTV Locals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Support Forum' started by crowderk, Jan 12, 2019 at 6:07 PM.

1. crowderk

crowderk Topic Starter Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member

We've had DTV Now for several months after canceling DISH. It works fairly well but does have it's hiccups. Considering DTV our only concern is the County we live in does not have any Locals available. Surrounding Counties have the Des Moines, IA. Locals (which we had with DISH after changing service address). Can this be done with DTV after the install is complete?

2. jcrandall

jcrandall Proud Staff Member
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

Generally yes, you just need to get customer service to change your service address to an address in the county with locals. If your original package is a no locals package, you will need to change package which will cost $3 more.

I'd recommend waiting a few weeks after install to be sure everything works well first. When you call say their was already a dish at the new house, you hooked up the receiver and everything is working ok.

3. ejb1980

ejb1980 SatelliteGuys Pro

Just curious, what market in Iowa doesn't have locals? What are the markets that don't have locals on Directv? I only know of Aroostook County ME, Zanesville OH, and the two Wyoming DMAs. And the Virgin Islands.

4. Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner SatelliteGuys Master
    Supporting Founder

It can easily be looked up before you call

5. crowderk

Ottumwa/Kirksville.

6. Jimbo

Jimbo SatelliteGuys Master
    Lifetime Supporter

Local Channels Lookup

Local Channels Availability
    Local Channels Lookup
    More than likely, we have your local channels! Enter your ZIP Code to find out if we carry your local channels in your area:

Zip Code: Check

Yes! Local channels are available in your area: Des Moines-Ames IA 52501 We have provided a complete list of local stations and channel numbers below.

High-definition (HD) local channels from DIRECTV are also available in your area. To receive them you will need an HD system

Available Channels
    Network Affiliate Local Channel # 3-Digit Channel # HD Channel
    ABC WOI 5 5
    CBS KCCI 8 8
    PBS KDIN 11 11
    NBC WHO 13 13
    FOX KDSM 17 17
    IND KDMI 19 19
    CW KCWI 23 23
    ION ION 39 39

Standard Local Channels: Most can receive these local channels using any DIRECTV® System. Certain select markets will require an MPEG-4 capable receiver. If you are eligible to receive local channels from us and don't have the correct equipment now, when you upgrade your receiver online, we will match the proper receiver for your market.

Locals: Eligibility based on service address. Not all networks available in all markets.

HD Locals: Eligibility based on service address. DIRECTV Slimline dish required in some markets to receive HD local networks delivered by DIRECTV. H20 or HR20 model DIRECTV HD Receiver and HD or HD-ready television set required to display HD programming from DIRECTV.

Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change. Hardware and programming sold separately.

7. crowderk

Depends what county you select when you enter 52501 (Wapello Co) not provided (Mahaska Co) Des Moines Locals Provided. We’re in Wapello

8. Jimbo

Jimbo SatelliteGuys Master
    Lifetime Supporter

I see ...
    At that point, I guess I would "Move" to the other county.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  9. ejb1980

Thanks. I had honestly never seen that DMA squeezed into the DMA map I always look at. It is written very small and my eyes had just skipped over it. Learn something new everyday. Definitely a case where you have to "move" nearby to get the locals. Des Moines is the obvious choice, Cedar Rapids/Waterloo is probably possible, too, but I would assume you would want Des Moines.

10. crowderk

Wouldn’t matter really. I just wanted to make sure ‘moving’ was something I could after install.

11. slice1900

slice1900 SatelliteGuys Pro

The thing that is really surprising about Ottumwa not having locals is that the D14 satellite they launched 5 years ago includes a dedicated spot beam for Ottumwa, so I always assumed it was getting locals once D14 went live.

That it never did leads me to believe that the cost of setting up the LRF i.e. local receive facility, the private line to one of the regional uplink sites, and the equipment in that site to do the uplink is high enough that Directv felt it would cost more to add Ottumwa's locals than they lose in business from not having them.

It isn't just Ottumwa either, D14 included several dedicated spot beams to other unserved DMAs, plus some other still unused beams to markets covered by D11/D12 that would enable them to move stuff around and support other unserved markets. I'm not positive but they might have even been able to cover all 12 missing DMAs.

Turns out they never added ANY new DMAs after D14 launched. I think between the time it was designed and the time it was launched they decided it wasn't worth the cost to cover them. Or maybe they only put the hardware in place in case laws changed and they were required to serve every single market, they'd be able to do so with existing satellites.

12. ejb1980

Do you know what the current missing DMAs are off the top of your head or easily accessible?

13. slice1900

slice1900 SatelliteGuys Pro

You can check the spreadsheet on cutting edge, I believe it or one of the others available lists the ones that are missing. They are all very small ranging from 4K to maybe 100K people living them I believe.

14. harrisburgpatv

harrisburgpatv SatelliteGuys Family

As someone who's done this a few times over the last 5 years that I've had the service, I look for houses for sale in the area I want to "move" to, and just add 1/2 to the house number (I think I got that tip here). I'm currently "living" in Greencastle (not far from where I live now), so I can get my current locals *AND* the DC ones (Greencastle is in a "significantly viewed" area).

15. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k SatelliteGuys Pro
    Pub Member / Supporter

Out of curiosity do you get both in HD or are the SV channels in SD only?

16. harrisburgpatv

harrisburgpatv SatelliteGuys Family

WRC, WTTG, WJLA, WUSA, WDCA, WETA, and WDCW are all in HD - the rest are in SD I believe.

17. ejb1980

Depends on the market... some, like CT and southern VA get them in HD. Why? Who knows. They are lucky. I get mine (VT) in HD because they have always been an HD-only market so there have never been any SD channels to give. Others (most) get them in SD only.

18. raoul5788

raoul5788 Studebaker driver
    Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

I get some NYC locals as SV. They were originally in sd, but now I get them in hd, but only through the CONUS channels, not the local ones. IOW, the NYC local hd channels don't show in the guide, but the CONUS ones do. Odd, huh?

19. Juan

Juan Supporting Founder
    Supporting Founder

Which NYC locals the superstations?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

20. ejb1980

Very odd. They probably added them for you because there was no excuse that it didn't reach you.

When I lived in NC, I got 3 Roanoke VA channels as SV. If you look it up in the thing, it only shows WDBJ and WSET, but WSLS was there, too. On the other side of the border, the Roanoke DMA, they got a bunch of our Greensboro channels as SV but they got them in HD. Made no sense. Some of the same channels (WGHP and WFMY) were also SV in the Raleigh DMA but were only SD. Interestingly, it was the same way on cable.

Others have posted on here about random HD SV channels across the country, most recently in NE OK.

Separate names with a comma.

More...