Changing locals?

Duraduk

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I travel in an RV for 6 months a year. In the past I had the East and West coast feeds through All American Direct. They no longer provide this service.

On the RV boards every one says that Dish is cooperative in changing locals to accommodate those that travel.

I have a receiver in my sticks and bricks home and use it to record shows while I'm gone to watch when I get home. If I change my locals on the road can I do it for just my RV receiver so I don't affect my DVR recording at the home unit.

Can I just access the local transponder during my set up to avoid having to contact Dish when I move.

No, that would not be possible. If you have access to the OTA channels at home, you could set the timers at home to exclusively use the OTA channels while you switch the SAT locals to the location that you're traveling.

Thanks for the quick response........what do I need to get OTA dvr'd with a VIP722K receiver. I have access and have a digital antenna hooked to the TV for when the Sat goes down due to weather.

You would need to purchase the MT2 OTA module, either from Dish directly or a 3rd party retailer, ie:

Amazon product ASIN B003UQOVXI
Once it is installed and connected to the antenna, there is a menu option to scan for the OTA channels. Once the channels are part of the guide, you can set timers on them just as any regular SAT channel.

(Amazon Link above is not showing up for me)

When and if you do talk to Dish, I wouldn't tell them that you are watching Dish tv in one location and recording at another.

Just the answer the main question, if it hadn't been. You cannot have different locals in your RV and your home(dish locals) at the same time, for two reasons. One would be account stacking, and two all receivers on the account are hit with the same information.

As mentioned before, you can either connect OTA at home and record the OTA channels solely, or take OTA on the road, and use that for the locals when you get somewhere. Using it in the RV may be better, as there may be times you do not have satellite LOS and you may still very likely have OTA signal.

The caveat to OTA in the RV is you may be more likely to be in remote places that have little to no OTA signals. More likely than not having line of sight, IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts