Changing over to a digital Receiver from an analog for C-Band?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ron in Norco

Original poster
May 21, 2006
I purchased a C-band digital receiver and tried to replace my analog, but after making multiple attempts it would not work, the help desk said it was probably due to a weak signal from my dish? Any suggestions?

What kind of receiver do you have? Just what doesn't work? Be more specific. What kind of dish do you have? Is it a fixed dish? Or can it move from sat to sat? Have you hooked it up correctly?

Al

I have a general instruments 550i receiver

and the dish has an automatic actuator to get all the satellites. and I purchased a digital unit from my programmer and made many attempts to hook it up, and had a trouble shooter on the phone walking me through it, but they felt it was my signal not being strong enough?

need more info like brand of Digital reicever, how it is hooked up 9how the wiring is hooked up), what satellite are you on, location, C & KU dish or just C or just KU, items like that

Little hard to troubleshoot when you say "it don't work"

Maybe they are right and the dish is out of allignment. You are confusing me with the word "digital". The receiver you have is not a 4dtv receiver, so it will not be able to pick up digital programming. Although the receiver may be a digital receiver. If you can move your dish to G5/G14 and try channel 3, you should be able to get this channel. Or, if you can move your dish over to G1/G15 and try channel 5, you should be able to get this channel. If you can't get either of these 2 channels, your dish may be out of allignment.

Al

I sent back the digital reciever because I couldn't get it to work. They said the feed horn may not put out a strong enough signal?

Ron in Norco said:
I sent back the digital reciever because I couldn't get it to work. They said the feed horn may not put out a strong enough signal?

Does your old analog unit work good? if so then the digital one should work, unless your lnb's are going or are not to good at all, but still you should get something.

Yes, but I never could make the digital unit work. I tried for 2 days using the help desk tech.....He felt it wasn't a strong enough signal for the digital??? But the Large dish digital feed is the least expensive TV programming you can buy....I just don't know what's wrong. Don't have anyone close by I can bring out to check the system.Ron

Ron in Norco said:
Yes, but I never could make the digital unit work. I tried for 2 days using the help desk tech.....He felt it wasn't a strong enough signal for the digital??? But the Large dish digital feed is the least expensive TV programming you can buy....I just don't know what's wrong. Don't have anyone close by I can bring out to check the system.Ron

That sounds odd... when you say digital and low cost subs I am guessing it was a 4dtv from the NPS deal right? when you hooked it up did the analog channels work on the 4dtv but not the digital? if both did not work and it was hooked up right then the unit may have been bad, because the analog should have worked after you put the VC board in the 4dtv your analog subs should have been present.

You should have kept it a few more days and give us a step by step what you did to hook it up, and what was or was not working.

You may find a dealer in your area here:
http://onsat.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=09ea980ff6c892a62d9cf1ab9c7a284b

Don't give up we are here to help.

The 4DTV Digital receiver requires RG6 coax or you will not get enough signal. I found that out the HARD WAY. I had to replace several runs of RG59 coax that was working good on an older receiver when I went to install the new 4DTV receiver.

BryanSR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts