Changing satelites

mark4470

Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
ohio
Is there a way that dish can change the 129 to 110 or 119? I get twice the signal off my hopper with either 110 or 119. I get high 30's to low 40's with 129. I get low 80's with the other two satellites.

When I try to change to 110 or 119 it automatically goes back to 129. I'm new to all this. I have had cable all my life.

Thanks,
Mark

Welcome to SatelliteGuys! There are certain channels on certain satellites. So when you want to watch a certain channel, in this case HD it will go to that satellite. Yes 129 is weaker, but it needs to be a little higher than that. Are you having trouble or just experimenting?

This is normal, and 129 is not actually weak in the sense of absolute signal-strength. All HD channels on Dish are on 8PSK transponders, while almost all SD channels on 110/119 are still on QPSK transponders. The 8PSK transponders will show a higher error rate, even though they have more robust error correction, and that is why the receiver shows a lower number on the Point Dish screen. You are not actually looking at a simple signal strength meter on the receiver; it's more like an inverse error rate meter.

I lose signal I think more than I should. I had a tech from dish helping me on here last night. He had me check the different signals out. I never herd back from him.

I was just wondering if I could change the default settings some how. Maybe he will get back with me later on.
Thanks,
Mark

How often do you lose signal? I lose signal only during the most tremendous downpours; mist or even light rain or clouds in general do not phase my receivers.

There are no settings that will make the signal stronger or weaker. You may just need to have the dish realigned, and to be sure there are no obstructions. Contact a DIRT member here and go through them to get it resolved. Like TheKrell, In all these years of having Dish, I rarely lose the signal, just in the heavy beginning (Storm Head) of a rainstorm.

TheKrell said:
How often do you lose signal? I lose signal only during the most tremendous downpours; mist or even light rain or clouds in general do not phase my receivers.

Three or four times already in the week I have had it.

Three or four times already in the week I have had it.
Have you been having frequent thunderstorms? I see a rather nasty thunderstorm cell from Columbus to the western border of the state as I type. Anything that shows up in red on the weather map to the south of you is likely to have an impact on your reception.

The problem isn't so much the lightning or associated heavy rain but that the signal can't get through the thunderheads between you and the satellites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)