Channel 1

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wantogetstarted

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Mars, PA (Near Pittsburgh)
I am 30 years old and when I was in high school we got a 15 - 20 minute daily news program called channel 1. It had Anderson Cooper (before CNN), Lisa Ling (pre-view) and another girl who went to MTV (Serena something). Anyone remember that? Can you pick it up anywhere?

I see that there is a Channel One on ia5 but it looks like a middle east news channel.

Ha ha PSB, not exactly what the OP is looking for but probably just as valid as far as unbiased news coverage goes. :D

Pepper said:
Ha ha PSB, not exactly what the OP is looking for but probably just as valid as far as unbiased news coverage goes. :D

True, thats the great thing about IA-5 loads of news, even if its not in English its just great to see real news pictures.

Nice!!!! I don't see it on lyngsat but it must be up there somewhere! The only question is it FTA or not.

Are there any receivers that do both DVB and analog. I'd love to check that again if I ever get set up for FTA.

No receivers that do both but analog receivers are cheap and can be easily slaved to any DVB receiver (With the down side being you are stuck on the same polarity as the master)

I remember channel 1 (we were one of the "pilot" schools that got on that).

I know they got the signal via satellite but I dont have any of the specifics (the satellite receiver and vcr's were locked up pretty tightly at my school so I just got to look at them through some glass :>

It was kind of neat to go into class and watch tv for 20 or so minutes a day. It would have been a bit better if it had come at the end of the day though (then we would not have slept through it as much).

Biggest problem we had was our teachers h-a-t-e-d it. The school was required to have it on for x amount of time a day (they got free tv's in each class if they had it on otherwise they had to pay for the tv's) so all of the tv's automatically came on at a certain time and went off at a certain time. Problem we had was teachers would turn the volume down on the tv and teach right through it. I had one teacher that tried to throw the tv out the door (it was bolted down so he didnt get too far). Never did figure out why they hated it so much (other than the 10-15 minutes it intruded on their "teaching time".

wantogetstarted said:
What does it mean to slaved to a DVB receiver?

DVB receivers have an LNB in and an LNB out input/ (IF out)output. So its just a case of running one RG6 coax cable from the DVB (LNB out) to the analog receiver. Then both receivers can see the same satellite.

Attachments

• 3500backl.jpg
    3500backl.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
My records indicate that Channel One was on Transponder 12. Lyngsat shows it as (feeds) NTSC 11930H.

There's a channel one feed at 9:45pm PT on Tuesday night on G10 Ku Tr 24 analog = 12180 MHz Horizontal

Gotta love Channel 1. All the newbies get their start on that channel. I remember the Lisa Ling days. She always went undercover in communist countries and almost got her ass in trouble.

Teachers at my school would "threaten" to shut off the show if we talked too much and didn't pay attention. Great way to get your homework done that you failed to do last night.

The setup they give you with Channel One allows for a completely free install with the condition you keep the show on the air every day in class. We used the headend unit a few times for live video feeds once in a blue moon. Loved the whole setup personally.

I teach high school physics...I remember channel 1.....very condensed and scrubbed news for the kiddies...not sure its worth spending even $5 on since you stated " I'd like to watch it once"......

We had the same deal in our high school. We used to always unhook the TV's and plug in the VCR for watching movies. ;)

It was the "WB" of highschool. Channel 1 and WB kind of went hand-in-hand. Not as partners, but WB shows we're advertised on there all the time. Go figure. Now, CW will take shots.

Speaking of highschool stuff, have you all seen that dumbass Target commercial with all the paper clip and calculator characters dancing? Can we say highschoolish????

Oddly enough, I too would love to find that feed for Channel One. I remember that from 7-8 years ago. We did "live" news announcements on the tv system every morning right after the Channel One box finished running the taped feed. That thing was a HUGE silver box about the size of a small console tv. Had a VCR built-in, with a SAT IN and a MAIN TRUNK feed that connected out to the school. There was a externel feed switch on the side where would connect in our editing/camera equipment to do our "news" in the morning. I only remember this so vividly because even 10 years ago in high school I was considered a nerd and was always on the "news" camera crew. : )

On the back of the school we had what I remember was a Channel Master 1.2m KU and we also had a C Band which the tech department used for the old NASA analog feed which they would turn on for the launches. Very cool.

I am about to get my Primestar hooked up today to the new pole I just put in the yard (pictures coming) and I am certainly going to be looking for that feed if it is clear. OP, please keep us updated if you find it first, and if it is I.T.C on Lyngsat. Thanks for jogging my memory! : )

The feed was on G10 on Tuesday night, but I didn't check last night. Tr 12 analog on G3 hasn't been analog in quite some time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)