Channel 540, 4k

The FOX APP on Fire Stick was horrible. The picture was muddy. On many sets you have to change settings especially for 4K HDR and I am well familiar with that. When I watch Amazon 4K programming no problem a very good picture. Like all 4K it's the HDR that really makes the difference unless you sit very close but Amazon 4K is a very good picture, sadly not from the FOX app.
That said, the picture OTA was very good last night.

I compared 4K and regular HD versions early in the game and decided HD looked better and stayed with it. When I went back to the 4K version just as the game was ending for another comparison I had a black screen and audio. A popup said that channel wasn't available. I gave up.

I compared 4K and regular HD versions early in the game and decided HD looked better and stayed with it. When I went back to the 4K version just as the game was ending for another comparison I had a black screen and audio. A popup said that channel wasn't available. I gave up.

Your Fox affiliate must have started a dispute during the game.
:)

[automerge]1580754567[/automerge]

DISH actually has had 1080P for years including before Hoppers on the VIP. I have watched on demand movies 1080P on my VIP 612's. Virtually no one broadcast above 1080I anyway and that includes OTA so why bother with more bandwidth for 1080P?
It's not the 1080i/1080p resolution,
Primary characteristic for distintion is
Compression of signal.

This is why some programming looks absolutely fabulous,
And some programming is barely watchable.

Went I first put the SuperBowl on 1080 fox channel,
The picture was fabulous,
Dish appearing to use minimal compression,
Probably 'borrowing' bandwidth by extra compressing a different channel.

Only so much bandwidth is available,
How to divide that bandwidth among linear channels.
The more linear channels,
The less bandwidth each gets,
Which means more compression of data.
So, it's still 1080, but with less color or detail
And more pixelation with scene movement.

Remembering when only a few channels were 1080, and they were absolutely fabulous.
As more channels went 1080, more compression occurred, picture quality suffered.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the SatelliteGuys app!

Now when I see the number of cameras they used yesterday I now know why it was up converted and not in real 4K.

IMG_2466.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Now when I see the number of cameras they used yesterday I now know why it was up converted and not in real 4K.

View attachment 143178

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
If the text in red is the camera model, it looks like a lot of the cameras were 4K capable. For example:

{4800@8x} - HDC-4800(HDC4800) UHFR 4K/HD Camera System

{5500@8x} - HDC-5500(HDC5500) High performance three 2/3-inch 4K CMOS sensor portable system camera with direct 4K output

Reactions: TheKrell
I don't see channel 540, but the on-demand channels do show up certain ones in 4k, and we watched Black and Blue in 4K about a week ago when we first got the 4K Joey installed.

I have the 4K joey with the HWS...no H3 here.

I don't see channel 540, but the on-demand channels do show up certain ones in 4k, and we watched Black and Blue in 4K about a week ago when we first got the 4K Joey installed.

I have the 4K joey with the HWS...no H3 here.
What is your level of service? It has to 120 or higher to see 540. On Demand is a whole different ballgame. You usually have to pay for 4K On Demand movies although there is some 4K programming there that is free.

4K Joey was introduced before the H3 and should be able to play 4K content even is it is connected to a HWS as long as you have the proper service..

Hello!

You'll need to have a Hopper 3 receiver or a 4K Joey paired to a Hopper 3 connected to the TV displaying 4K. Having the Wireless Joey on the 4K TV would still only output up to 1080p even paired to the Hopper 3.

For the best viewing experience in 4K, you'll also want to make sure you have a HDMI 2.0 or higher cable.
Bought a new Samsung 4K TV and Channel 540 will not appear in my 4K joey DISH guide. I cannot even enter it directly. Please help!!! It appears on my other Samsung attached to my H3.

Bought a new Samsung 4K TV and Channel 540 will not appear in my 4K joey DISH guide. I cannot even enter it directly. Please help!!! It appears on my other Samsung attached to my H3.
IIRC, the current 4K Joey does not do HDR, so channel 540-3 cannot be seen by the 4K Joey.

When Dish turned off 540-1 it screwed all the 4K Joey users.

As of a few weeks ago, DISH removed channels 540-03 and 540-04 and made both channels 540-01 and 540-02 HDR channels. So, doing that removed any chance of channel 540 on the 4K Joey, at least for now. We can only hope that DISH will remedy this by making the 4K Joey capable of HDR over the DISH channels. It can already do it via the Amazon or prerecorded on the Hopper 3 or EHD attached to it.

Reactions: charlesrshell