Channel 84 - Olympics ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
San Francisco blacked out so far on Ch 84?

I live in the San Francisco bay area, where there is a NBC O&O station, I also get locals from all the networks, plus I am waivered everywhere and I get the HD package(and can watch it). I haven't gotten Ch 84 yet, and its Monday 8/16. I tried over the course of many phone calls with D* over the weekend to find out why. After endless repetitive conversations, starting on Saturday morning, such as "San Francisco doesn't have a NBC O&O", "You don't have locals", "You Don't qualify because you don't have HD", etc I finally heard from their "second" level of support that as of Sunday, with my 6th call, they realize that all of the Bay Area can't get channel 84. So they've opened a ticket to get this fixed. Without a doubt one of the worst CSR experiences I've been involved in, you had to be there to appreciate the incompetence of D* CSR.

Anybody in the Bay Area getting the Oly's in HD, since Saturday morning?

SF Bay Area...getting Channel 84 fine.

Had Direct TV and HD Tivo installed on Thursday. Friday night at 10pm PDT, channels 84 kicked in on schedule. Ran the O/C loop until 1am Sunday morning PDT. Then 3x of the 8 hour loop, which kicked into another loop at 1m this morning.

I have no waivers on file, but, have the locals and HD package. I can confirm the DirectTV CSRs were clueless when I was talking to them Friday as to when the 84 would get "lit".

I read on the boards it would be 10pm and it was.
Good luck.

sdg

colofan said:
So question for the forum if I get 84 now does this mean I will get NBC-HD after olympics are over?
You should. If you are getting 84 right now and you live in the same town I do ... neither of us is supposed to be getting 84, because Denver (our DMA) is not an NBC O&O. If you are getting it, I would assume you also have channels 382 & 383 ... if you have these then YES, you will get NBC-HD if and when it is added to the lineup becuase as the Olympics did, NBC O&O DMA's will get the channel automatically.

I live like a couple of minutes from you. PM me if you would like help with your DTV OTA.

Has anyone else noticed that every so often the channel blacks out and comes back on? It does it in less than a second and the wife says it only happens on channel 84.

Neutron said:
Has anyone else noticed that every so often the channel blacks out and comes back on? It does it in less than a second and the wife says it only happens on channel 84.

I have noticed this on my D* and my buddies Voom system.

This channel was a huge bust.

Lopping things a day after they happened after you have already heard/seen what goes on is stupid. Why not air Bob Costas and friends alongside SD NBC on 5.1 or 84 in HD?? These things are obviously being shot in HD, why can't they be broadcast at the same delayed time as the regular NBC programming.

I notice the black out on it as well, very professional.

Another strange thing is i get kind of a flicker every so often on the NBC channels, MSNBC, CNBC, etc, and i also get this same flicker out in Arizona at my place there, same kind of flicker on the same channels. Does NBC have a busted piece of equipment someplace? Anyone else see this "flicker"?

Please help, I am still trying to get 84. They told me I had to do the following. The ones that place and x next to, I have done.

1. Get the national networks (NBC 382, 383) - x
2. Switch from Pegasus to DTV - x
3. Sign up for the local channels - x
4. Sign up for the HD package
5. Get an OTA antenna

I have not done 4 and 5 because I don't want 4 because I get VOOM. And 5 seems like a stupid CSR comment. Having gone through all the others should I give up? I live in Lake Tahoe, and my locals are in Reno.

What can I say to D* now that they are my provider, not Pegasus, to get them to turn it on??

I think you need option 4, however Voom is also broadcasting the Olympics in HD so you should be able to tune in through Voom.

I get the channel on VOOM but also want it on D*. I hope you can understand. But I had to go through quite an ordeal with VOOM to have them turn it on. D* will not turn it on for me.

Does anyone get 84 who is not signed up for the HD package?

Perhaps this is a dumb question because most people with an HD receiver who do not have VOOM would have the HD package. Although I just get CBSHD with the promise of NFLST, FOX and NBC to follow. No desire for the HD package yet. $10/month for HDnet is rediculous since it was free for years.

Does anyone else notice that with quick motions(ie olympic divers) that the receiver seems to not be able to keep up with the motion. It seems that extremely fast actions like this show up blocky or pixelated. Is this normal?

satman69 said:
Does anyone else notice that with quick motions(ie olympic divers) that the receiver seems to not be able to keep up with the motion. It seems that extremely fast actions like this show up blocky or pixelated. Is this normal?
No it's not normal...nor is it acceptable. :mad:

This is what happens when you hype a worldwide HD event, and then hire a subcontractor to deliver the product - the HD is totally inconsistent and is often subpar from standards, and there's little NBC can do to "fix" the problem. Hopefully, they're recording the daylights in HD of this stuff for the DVD that will inevitablly be released (they did a 2000 Olympics DVD). :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts