Status
Please reply by conversation.

sprog68

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
Las Vegas
I added the HD package last week and I notice that on channel 99 there are about 10 stations listed, 99-1 thru 99-50. There is no signal on these stations except audio on 99-1 ESPN. They have station names, like TOON, FOOD, HGTV, Starz, etc. Does anybody else receive these?

What am I checking for 99 is the test channel for the signal from Satellite 110,always has been,at least here in the Wash DC area

sprog68 said:
I added the HD package last week and I notice that on channel 99 there are about 10 stations listed, 99-1 thru 99-50. There is no signal on these stations except audio on 99-1 ESPN. They have station names, like TOON, FOOD, HGTV, Starz, etc. Does anybody else receive these?
Might this be a mistake by D*? Nah ... too much draeming from me :) I'll check tonight. I have taken note of some odd channel mapping lately ... perhaps they are preparing for the big push ........

99 is the test channel. These other channels are 99-1, 99-2, 99-3, etc. They are listed like the local digital or HD channels.

Only the test channel in RI too. I'm using the HD10-250 and when I try punching in the 99-1 it goes to "99-1 antenna" like it would with an OTA station

Well I don't know what they are but I know that I don't have any ... not even an audio only one that you do.

I've heard of the USDTV service. Must be where I'm at and their transmitter location. Tomorrow I'll call DirecTV just to make sure.

Whoa! That looks kind of cool. I was talking with a guy about that like 3 weeks ago ... "I wonder how long til there is a DTV cable Co" ... and poof there already is one. I think this is a great idea. I mean DTV does have better picture than SAT (by 80 lines) and there are plenty of channels available ... encrypted OTA ... funky.

Las Vegas recently got the 'great value' of USD-TV. Albuquerque has had it for several months. Basically a low grade OTA digital 'cable' company. Generally at a much lower bit-rate than satellite, BTW. That's how they fit 5 or 6 channels in one signal. They tout it as HD, but that only applies if your locals OTA are HD. It's picture is no better than digital cable.
10 or so channels for $20/month. They are 'renting' digital spectrum from WB and UPN stations here and are failing badly. A lady I work with had it for a couple of days, before getting PO'd and returning it to WalMart. Hopefully, they will be gone soon.
Channel 99-1 probably has a page with 9 or so 'preview' windows.
Right now, I think they are only in a few cities. Started in Salt Lake City, then Albuquerque, then Las Vegas.

That's a bummer to hear. But that is the early side of the coin too. In 3 years, with good compression technology and decent STB's this could be a viable technology.I know that my OTA DTV FOX looks far better than any SD channel on DirecTV ... I think these are at like 5Mbps for a single -1 channel, is that correct? Either way ... DTV is nice, I wish direcTv was a clear as DTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts