channel line up fta?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Samsonite I was way off.

Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
North Carolina
FTA vs. Direct TV? Which should I choose?

I'm new to the free to air satellite set-up and I'm also new to your forum. So I would like to say thumbs up to all you guys that keep this going! :up

Here is my dilemma. I currently have Dish Network. I will be switching soon, but I'm not sure what to switch to, FTA or Direct TV. Here is my situation.

I have a three bedroom house with a two story pool house. I will need a total of 7 HD receivers (2 DVR), and 3 of the HD receivers will be in the house with one of them being a DVR. The other 4 will be in the pool house, one on the first floor and 3 on the second floor. The second floor is going to be the man cave which will need to have channels available to watch football. What I want to know is what kind of channels does having a FTA satellite system give you? I really don't know anything about the channel line up that I would be getting, and I want to make the right decision here. What are the pros and cons? Would I still be getting all the NFL that I would if I had Direct TV? I know this is a lot of questions, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm new to the free to air satellite set-up and I'm also new to your forum. So I would like to say thumbs up to all you guys that keep this going! :up

Here is my dilemma. I currently have Dish Network. I will be switching soon, but I'm not sure what to switch to, FTA or Direct TV. Here is my situation.

I have a three bedroom house with a two story pool house. I will need a total of 7 HD receivers (2 DVR), and 3 of the HD receivers will be in the house with one of them being a DVR. The other 4 will be in the pool house, one on the first floor and 3 on the second floor. The second floor is going to be the man cave which will need to have channels available to watch football. What I want to know is what kind of channels does having a FTA satellite system give you? I really don't know anything about the channel line up that I would be getting, and I want to make the right decision here. What are the pros and cons? Would I still be getting all the NFL that I would if I had Direct TV? I know this is a lot of questions, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Go w/ D*. Find the games on FTA is not as easy as just going from ch to ch like it is on the DBS services.

If you are trying to save money look at a regular house antenna for locals. NexTV has brought many options free over the air. FTA is not a replacement for a prepackaged subscribed service like Deesh Natwork or Durect TeeVee. It is a hobby. If anybody has problems with technology they will hate a FTA set-up. There isn't a simple channel up and down. You need to lock in some satellites you like to view and scan them for unscrambled channels. All receivers connected to that dish can only view what is on the satellite that it is aimed at.. Blindscanning for feeds and backhauls is part of the FTA hobby. This is what makes FTA fun. More and more program providers are scrambling feeds and there is no legal way to get around that

To take full advantage of what is up there in the sky you need besides a "Legit" FTA receiver with mpeg-4, dvb-s2, 4.2.0, and 4.2.2 mode capability. You also need a motorized C and Ku band dish...a big one. Or a combination of a smaller motorized Ku dish and a motorized BUD (Big Ugly Dish) for C-Band.

I have a Ku band motorized system, a big terrestrial antenna for local TV and I subscribe standard definition $29.95 basic Durect TeeVee

If you are trying to save money look at a regular house antenna for locals. NexTV has brought many options free over the air. FTA is not a replacement for a prepackaged subscribed service like Deesh Natwork or Durect TeeVee. It is a hobby. If anybody has problems with technology they will hate a FTA set-up. There isn't a simple channel up and down. You need to lock in some satellites you like to view and scan them for unscrambled channels. All receivers connected to that dish can only view what is on the satellite that it is aimed at.. Blindscanning for feeds and backhauls is part of the FTA hobby. This is what makes FTA fun. More and more program providers are scrambling feeds and there is no legal way to get around that

To take full advantage of what is up there in the sky you need besides a "Legit" FTA receiver with mpeg-4, dvb-s2, 4.2.0, and 4.2.2 mode capability. You also need a motorized C and Ku band dish...a big one. Or a combination of a smaller motorized Ku dish and a motorized BUD (Big Ugly Dish) for C-Band.

I have a Ku band motorized system, a big terrestrial antenna for local TV and I subscribe standard definition $29.95 basic Durect TeeVee
Plus the fact that things change all the time as far as where channels are broadcast,they can be clear one day and scramble the next...etc..etc. Probably need to keep a sub system or maybe off the air or cable for reliable TV all the time. FTA is mostly for hobby/fun.

If you need guaranteed delivery of programming, sub. if you want to explore what may occasionally show up as, well, FTA, then the FTA hobby is where it's at. It's a pastime,hobby. It's not about getting this or that channel, or programming, reliably, for free.

Last edited:
choices

- Fios
- cable
- OTA reception from your local stations
- Netflix, both through the mail and over your internet connection
- DirecTV satellite service
- Dish Network satellite service
- maybe StarChoice satellite service out of Canada (now called Shaw), but probably not

I live in a city with about 90 OTA channels, and still want more!
As mentioned above, FTA is a hobby in itself.
While there is a lot of fun to it, it does not fulfill all my viewing needs.

Go w/ D*. Find the games on FTA is not as easy as just going from ch to ch like it is on the DBS services.

Right! And Wrong! I say go with whatever gives you the sports and all the stuff to keep the wife happy, but put some FTA in the "man cave"!

It is a fun hobby and some great viewing from time to time, with some sports feeds thrown in now and then to make it all seem worth while!

With all this equipment it sounds as money is no issue. Go for regular DBS subscription service with professional install and save your self the headache. Like others have said, FTA is a hobby. Many stations are here today gone tomorrow.

Right! And Wrong! I say go with whatever gives you the sports and all the stuff to keep the wife happy, but put some FTA in the "man cave"!

It is a fun hobby and some great viewing from time to time, with some sports feeds thrown in now and then to make it all seem worth while!

Didn't say he couldn't have an FTA but it isn't something that you can just go to and tune in the game as soon as you turn it on. So D* will be the best for the Sunday Ticket and have 3 ball games on at one time. He could also have an FTA for playing w/ to find a wild feed that may not be on D*.

He said he was looking a 7 HD receivers. Having the subscribed service receivers all around is the way to go. Yes, definitely have at least a motorized Ku dish and a FTA receiver in the man cave. Many of the network feeds are on C-Band though.

I am a huge fan of OTA (over the air) antennas.

If he is in Charlotte look at his options

Radar-All.png

Last edited:
Wow, that was easy. I think I got everything I needed to know about it right here. I do believe that I'll go with D* (as I see you guys calling it), as this would be my primary source for viewing and would be more convenient for my lifestyle. I do currently have an OTA hooked up to play around with, and while I am close to Charlotte, about 30-40 min. the OTA is not always reliable, but when its got a good signal, it does give me excellent picture. Also, I must say I do like the ideas you guys gave me, and one day I might hook one up in the man cave to see what I can find.

Whatchel1 - You had it exactly right, watching 3 different games at once has been my plan all along.

Thanks for the help guys!

Wow, that was easy. I think I got everything I needed to know about it right here. I do believe that I'll go with D* (as I see you guys calling it), as this would be my primary source for viewing and would be more convenient for my lifestyle. I do currently have an OTA hooked up to play around with, and while I am close to Charlotte, about 30-40 min. the OTA is not always reliable, but when its got a good signal, it does give me excellent picture. Also, I must say I do like the ideas you guys gave me, and one day I might hook one up in the man cave to see what I can find.

Whatchel1 - You had it exactly right, watching 3 different games at once has been my plan all along.

Thanks for the help guys!

Your welcome, have a good time w/ the setup. Adding 1 FTA for wild feeds might be fun too.

I would look into upgrading your OTA antenna system as well (antenna, rotor, amplifier etc.... There are super easy rotor mounts that don't require control wiring.) You have a ridiculous amount of TV in your area. If it's in the attic, get it on the roof. uHF doesn't like obstacles.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)