Channel Mapping on W5 at this time

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm curious how you heard that about the *choice receiver, were you referring to the 921?

I don't remember which IRD it was but they were doings some programming to choice boxes with it. Read it on one of the *choice forums.

The EIA port is either the Data Port/MMAP listed as #16 in the owners manual or it could be the Async Data listed as #17 in the owners manual.

#16 from the owners manual….
DATA PORT MMAP ONLY : This port is for future applications and requires a special connection. Do not plug it directly to any computer.

#17 from the manual….
ASYNC DATA : This port is for future applications and requires a special connection. Do not plug it directly to any computer.

As you can see not much help.....

Okay I know what one now. Maybe it's already active and just needs software to interface.

Here's where this discussion needs to continue: (snip)
...not in the open forums. Yes?
No.
first I am not in that forum.
second, I am the one who informed them the beginning to start with.
third, it needs to be in the open so that others can see it and give their views so that if anything comes of it, that it will be a greater benefit for all.
fourth, the original info came from GI before it became motorola to try to help out the 4d community if it was needed. (up till now it was not needed, now it is).

Even though this is sensitive stuff in a way. Until it gets really down to the nitty gritty it needs to be in an area where we can get the most benefit out of all who can help. Were not doing anything illegal. We only want to use our receivers the same way that any DVB or old analog receiver worked. Program the parameters that we want and need for getting the most out of our IRD's

I've been following this thread with great interest. So far, I don't think that anything has been said that needs to be "hidden." I'm another one here that doesn't have access to the closed forum (I do on the other 4DTV site, though). So unless things change, I vote that we keep this an open discussion for the time being.

Skyvision's reponse to my questions were basically that yes, my 920 would probably work with their feed. And they didn't know of any changes to the channel line-up that might occur. I was asking about Discovery, TLC, and Food Network specifically.

Seems quite a few don't have access to WUT. I think until it gets into possible code mode. We can leave it open. When coding begins then it should be hidden for specific reasons. I would think those contributing like stargaze should be allowed access at that point. It took me a while till I was approved for WUT and then I was vouged for by a few members. So some may not get access overnight there are reasons for this .

OK then, it'll be a good idea to keep your receivers off the DCII datastream near the end then.
I think if all this gets indexed by search bots, Moto will pull those generics, and these boxes can hit the dumpster,
...unless y'all are gonna use 'em to sub to W5. :rolleyes:
Anybody want a 920? ...Cheap? :eek:

I still foresee regular DC II ending up like analog vc II did. We all hung onto our vc2 modules til the end hunting zero key feed then all the analog pretty much went away. With megapipe dc2, combo mode and 8psk, also powervu's gaining dominance in the distro feed industry, I don't see our 4dtv receivers being good for much too much longer anyway.

My reason for saying that is there is more efficient ways to utilize transponder bandwidth which will lower programmer's overhead and facilitate more HD channels.

Just a sidenote about the WUT section. If this forum chooses to keep it as a closed forum so be it. People need to understand that there are reasons the mods have for that. However that said, the info is out there to be had. Ricks site is one. Now my opinion is that I do not understand the secrecy when it is clearly information that is already out there. But none the less respect the decision of the admin here as I am just a lowly member. I havn't even bothered asking for access to that area and probably won't since I have other places to go. And now back to our regular schedueled program..... Have a great day!

OK then, it'll be a good idea to keep your receivers off the DCII datastream near the end then.
I think if all this gets indexed by search bots, Moto will pull those generics, and these boxes can hit the dumpster,
...unless y'all are gonna use 'em to sub to W5. :rolleyes:
Anybody want a 920? ...Cheap? :eek:

Motorola does not care at this point in time.
They possibly could send out a new channel map at the end of the year that changes the generic sat icons in the receiver and leave that stream run for a month on the 2 satellites they currently use, (G0 & G1) after that the expense would not be justified and the map data stream turned completely off. They have stockholders to answer to so spending money to try to disable consumer receivers is not a justifiable cause for such expense.
One thing I would like to point out is that if you just turn off the 4d receiver and forget to turn off the automatic guide pickup, the receive will return to G1 automatically.

For those not wanting programming from W5 for their 4d receivers then parking it on a sat with no DCII signals on it would be best till the channel map data stream is completely turned off. This is barring any info Motorola will release before the end as to what their actual plans are.
They may decide to keep the mapping stream up there but I highly doubt it, so don't get your hopes up.

To those who want the W5 programing on their 4d receivers then be prepared to not have any generic sat icons in the receiver and only a token few icons will be there to use as a satellite locater. The icon names will be very old and it will become confusing even to use as a dish mover, (if you use it to slave a DVB receiver to it or a commercial DCII receiver).

The answer to this problem is to get a decent dish moving receiver and slave the 4d to it or to have a dedicated dish at W5 for the 4d and to use another receiver to move the bud for other things.

I agree with truckracer, that this is all just a short time thing. These 4d receivers will be obsolete in another 6+ years as many carriers will change their format either to dvb or to dc combo-mode.

This downfall did not just begin recently but it started when the consumer was no longer allowed to freely name the satellites out there and became dependent on some greedy company to make these changes for us all under the guise of making things easier.
If someone was able to figure out how to program the EIA port then it may allow the user to reprogram the satellite icons (even with their proper names). The reason it was not done till now was that GI/Motorola has said the front panel display could not display the extra letters or numbers.
They never said the receiver could not be programmed in with the correct satellite names.

Anyone attempting to do such testing should be aware that the current map stream sent out on G0 & G1 will interfere with any testing.

since none of this is a security breach no one at Motorola would care, the things done via the EIA port have nothing to do with any type of system security.
I believe the original 4play was also based on this and Motorola did not care about it. I have not talked to Rod about the 4play so I am not absolute on this. He used a commercial receiver to surf out dcII fta signals as I did, so I was not interested in the program.

BIG DISH MOVER

Rod in 4play showed a lack of interest in emails to me as mentioned in other posts. I think 4play will be the way to save 4dtv receivers and use them as dish movers. It is true that probably 4dtv will give way to DVB but for this time still need a dish mover. Now if a module was made to go between FTA DVB receiver and BUD motor would be another answer.:D

Rod in 4play showed a lack of interest in emails to me as mentioned in other posts. I think 4play will be the way to save 4dtv receivers and use them as dish movers. It is true that probably 4dtv will give way to DVB but for this time still need a dish mover. Now if a module was made to go between FTA DVB receiver and BUD motor would be another answer.:D
I have been looking into getting a VBOX X as a dish mover, it is around $40.00, and the adds say it will use Disiq (spelling) 1.0 and1.2, or you can program the dish locations into it and use the remote that came with it, just as we now use the 4Dtv.
Terry

I have been looking into getting a VBOX X as a dish mover, it is around $40.00, and the adds say it will use Disiq (spelling) 1.0 and1.2, or you can program the dish locations into it and use the remote that came with it, just as we now use the 4Dtv.
Terry

I have a Vbox-X and I'm not happy with it. It has a tendancy to overshoot programmed positions. Some people think that it's a receiver issue but it does the same thing with the Vbox remote control. And it's not an actuator problem. Good luck if you buy one.

johnnynobody, I've been using one for awhile now and haven't really noticed any problems. Although I'm always fooling around with it and moving the dish to tweak.
I do sometimes wonder how these things work as well as they do as I notice the dish does get cruising pretty good when its on its return and I wonder how it stops right on that pre-determined mark. I would imagine any dish mover would need the odd "bump" to get it right where it needs to be.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts