Channel Master 1.2m dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

xtra

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Halifax,NC
Does anyone know if a Channel Master 1.2m dish will work on a SG2100 motor? I appreciate all the help from you all. :confused:

Well the SG2100 says it will work with dish up to 1.2m, I am sure it can be done, but may need slight modification depending on the dish mount size. I am sure a member here is using just such a configuration hopefully they will chip in.

I have a Winegard 1 m dish and an SG2100 motor and getting them to work together is a pain. I'm not saying it can't be done - others on this forum have demonstrated it is possible - but I actually ended up getting a smaller dish to use with the SG2100 (a 76 cm Winegard) and my "big" dish is stationary for the time being.

The main reason is that the diameter of the motor pole is too small for the 1 m Winegard and has to be made thicker. I'm guessing the size of the Channel Master 1.2 m dish mount is about the same as the 1 m Winegard - and so you will probably run into a similar problem.

If you have not purchased your motor yet, I would recommend getting a STAB HH120 which is intended for bigger dishes (it’s geared lower than other positionners so the electric motor inside has to strain less) and has a 54 mm (2 1/8 inch) pole diameter. Also, since the dish is mounted on top of the STAB HH120 motor (and not underneath like with the SG2100) installation should be easier with a larger and heaver dish (pop it on top - much like you would when mounting on a cemented pole). I will most likely get one of these motors myself to have both of my dishes motorized ;-)

Xtra, I am in the process of developing a lightweight but sturdy mount for my own Channel Master 1.2m dish. As I progress I will be posting pictures and instructions.

I purchased the SG2100 for this dish, but may order the STAB HH120 and use the SG2100 on another dish. I am still undecided and will let you know either way what the outcome was.

It's interesting that Tron just replied to a PM I sent him about us and these dishes. I was unaware a normal motor would not be suitable for this dish. I guess I need to change my focus to a STAB motor when I get to that point.

I had wondered how I could mount this dish to a motor and this thread sure helps alot.

thanks all!

It's pretty much the ame issue I have with the Primestar dish (also by Channelmaster).

The mout is 2 3/8" and the motor pole is 1 5/8". I made a PVC spacer at the suggestion of some forum members and it's working way better than I ever would have expected.

That being said, I'm still looking into a dish that I can mount more solidly on the motor. I'll probably end up with a Fortec 90cm dish unless I can sell myself on the 1M / 1.2M options. With the 1M on up dishes, the shipping costs go thorugh the roof. I mean if I'm going to drop $250ish on a dish I might as well put up a C-Band dish :).

Another thing I've noticed... Sadoun has some KILLER deals on wholesale packs of dishes on ebay right now. It's temping to buy a 12 pack of 90cm dishes to re-sell.... or drive the S/O insane lining them up along the back wall of my property - lol. $43/ea to your door is mighty nice for a 90cm dish :).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61386&item=5775715999&rd=1

I bet it can be had for that price. 12 lots of 12... no bidders, ends in 9 hours.

BTW - hope you get a smoking deal on that motor ;)

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
I bet it can be had for that price. 12 lots of 12... no bidders, ends in 9 hours.

Shawn

Sounds like a sure thing... how much would you sell one to me for? ;)
Buddy?
Pal?

lol... less than 2 weeks with my Winegard 76cm and I already want to trade up to a 90cm :rolleyes:

mchomicz said:
Thanks! I doubt I will - but sure can't hurt to try ;)

Looked at other items. Even at $47 - a 90 cm dish is not a bad deal... Not that I need one - but the price is tempting...

Michael

Hey now, I wont bid you up on that motor, but if I don't get the one I am bidding on, I just might!!! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)