Channel Master and Echostar working on new OTA DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I hope they make this the all-in-one unit, something the new TIVO Roamios failed to do (left out Amazon Prime). I read the new unit will include Vudu and Pandora but we need the new K77 to also include Netflix and Amazon Prime, 2 major apps which have been missing from CM's previous units. Without these major apps, it's not as much of an incentive to move to it.

Amazon Prime is supposedly coming to the TiVo line (I assume Romio and probably Premiere). The big advantage to these units over the TiVo is monthly (or lifetime) subscription costs for guide data.

......the Roamio (sometimes referred to as the "base" Ramio) is marketed as an "Entry Level" box with 4 tuners and support for OTA or Cable, one or the other, not tuning both at the same time......

Just to beat this to death, it's all 4 OTA or all 4 CATV, not any mix such as 2 OTA and 2 cable?

Amazon Prime is supposedly coming to the TiVo line (I assume Romio and probably Premiere). The big advantage to these units over the TiVo is monthly (or lifetime) subscription costs for guide data.

Yeah the high cost of TIVO equipment and fees is a negative for sure. If this new K77 has a good OTA tuner (hopefully 4 tuners) and more apps for streaming I will be eager to get one. That would put CM closer than ever to TIVO, without the high costs involved.

Here's an OTA dvr for only $46, and works well per AVS forum: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXAE92K/?tag=satell01-20 Good option for somebody that doesn't want to pay a fee for a guide, but then they'll only get whatever limited guide is transmitted OTA.

HomeWorx HW-150PVR ATSC Digital TV Converter Box w/ Media Player & Recording PVR Function / HDMI Out

I actually own one and its not bad. But there are some drawbacks
-one tuner only....yeah you can watch one channel but record another but it has to be the same mux (like 11-1 & 11-2).....you can't watch CBS and record NBC as example (unless one is a subchannel) ;)
-guide is limited to 1 day max.....a couple of my channels have only a 12 hour guide. Its not due to the unit but the fact that TVGOS went bye bye so the station has to rely on their own programming

there is a huge thread at avs about it

When you install your 4 Tuner Romeo it asks if you want to do OTA or Cable, it does not give you a choice for both.

-one tuner only....yeah you can watch one channel but record another but it has to be the same mux (like 11-1 & 11-2).....you can't watch CBS and record NBC as example (unless one is a subchannel) ;)
-guide is limited to 1 day max.....a couple of my channels have only a 12 hour guide. Its not due to the unit but the fact that TVGOS went bye bye so the station has to rely on their own programming

So I'm not clear about this box, it's labeled as a digital converter box, but it has HDMI out so does it also output digital?

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

If you need a mix, I would get a base Premiere, or better still a S3 HD. The Premiere has twin inputs and can simultaneously record OTA and cable.

And thank you again for some very useful information.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So I'm not clear about this box, it's labeled as a digital converter box, but it has HDMI out so does it also output digital?

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

HDMI is only digital.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

It has a bypass mode, (antenna coax to this box, and then a jumper coax OUT from this box to your tv set) and your tv set has it's own tuner.... Just like in the days of VCR's, you can record on this on one channel, and watch a different live channel on your TV's tuner...

yes
It has HDMI, component and composite (red yellow white)
Its a HD converter box that can record too. I have a 320GB drive hooked up

It has a bypass mode, (antenna coax to this box, and then a jumper coax OUT from this box to your tv set) and your tv set has it's own tuner.... Just like in the days of VCR's, you can record on this on one channel, and watch a different live channel on your TV's tuner...

I am aware of that. That is how I have it hooked up

There was also some beta software to do clear QAM but there were many issues with it including
-no remapping of channels like locals (my TV's remap them)
-scanning in TONS of scrambled channels so the easier thing was to manual scan channels
-no guide so you need to manually set timers

honestly this unit (the Homeworx) works great if you are a casual recording person. (or have shows that arent on at the same time). If you dont mind the minor flaws of it the unit works real well. We have sold a bunch of them at work through our catalog (Heartland America) and most folks use them for the occasional option to record. But for some of us who have used dual tuner units for years now it might be a change ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)