Channel Master and Echostar working on new OTA DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I think PSIP support should be required.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

According to Zatz, it's there. (I don't know whether he actually unplugged his network connection to make sure...)

$250 for what is essentially a fancy tuner. You need to add $100-150 for a reasonable external Hard Drive in order to make it a true DVR. That is bringing it into TIVO territory with lifetime.

heck with more people dumping their "older" (2 tuner) units for a Roamio there are deals out there. I got a Tivo Series 3 + lifetime a couple months ago for under $250

also notice you need the wireless thingy for a 14 day guide....at $40

Oh oh. Dave says he hasn't been able to play the .ts files on his EHD as yet. :( Would Echostar do something as nefarious as encrypting the video of OTA broadcasts? (They do that on Dish receivers.)

also notice you need the wireless thingy for a 14 day guide....at $40

Agree that the USB dongle is pricey. But I thought you could also plug it in (cat5) for pennies.

Last edited:
Agree that the USB dongle is pricey. But I thought you could also plug it in (cat5) for pennies.

sure if you can get a cat5 run to it...which in my case I couldn't as I HAVE it use wireless (no internet in the apt....using the wifi from the community room) ;)

Get an HD TiVo (not Premiere), they can already transmit the .ts files to your PC with TiVo software, lifetime units are cheaper than the CM/E* units.

Anyone know when its coming out? Amazon says we can pre order it.

You can preorder it now, and delivery date is mid-January. One issue is they don't guarantee that Rovi guide service is forever. Rovi HAS in the past and CAN discontinue the guide service at any time. It can also use the broadcast PSIP guide, but that's next to worthless. Without a true guide, this thing is nothing but a slightly upgraded vcr. It's based on an Echostar receiver that's only used in Britain. For a person that doesn't watch much tv, it seems like it might just do the job. At least until Rovi drops the guide.

Here's a guy that has one now, and has been testing it: http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-12/channel-master-dvrplus-cm7500/

Here's the AVSFORUM master thread, lot's of detail here, and will continue to be hashed out:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1481183/channel-master-dvr-owners-thread

I have really good psip data and my DtvPals work really good with it or I would order one, but with 2 Pals and my Silicon Dust tuners along with my Dish dvrs, I don't need one.

merged a couple threads together since people keep drudging up an old thread when there was a newer one that had MUCH more info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)