Channel Numbers

teneightyp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Duluth, MN
What's the difference in channels in the 200 range versus channels in the 9000 range? I have both listed in my guide. I suspect it is different satellites, and if so are there differences in quality? Thanks!

teneightyp said:
Then why not eliminate the 9000's and just list the 200's?

Because they cannot "use" a number twice but they can map the 9000 number to the lower range.

It is to put the HD version channel number next to the SD version channel number.

And that's what they do, so I still don't understand why they have to list them in the 9000's. Just list them in the 100's and keep the guide simple. Yes I can customize the guide so as not to list them twice but it still seems silly to me.

Let's look at it this way.....

ESPN is on channel 140
ESPN-HD is also on channel 140

The only way that can be done is to map down the HD channel from another channel number. Remember Dish has, literally, thousands of channels when you take in the local in locals. What they are doing makes total sense if you keep that in mind.

I think what teneightyp is trying to suggest is to do exactly as Dish is now doing, but make all the 9000 channels disappear from our guides.

The problem is the SD versions of the channels actually have the lower channel number. The HD channels are really in the 9000s (only block of channel numbers available when HD came out).

Since everyone wants to use the old familiar number of the SD channel, Dish maps down the HD to the SD range. The 922 has the option to autohide all the SD versions if there is an HD channel. On the 622/722s I put on a lock and lock out the SD version of all the channels (and pick the option to hide locked channels in the guide).

Perhaps one day they will actually get rid of the SD channels and then be able to move the 9000 range down to really be in the lower numbers.

Let's look at it this way.....

ESPN is on channel 140
ESPN-HD is also on channel 140

The only way that can be done is to map down the HD channel from another channel number. Remember Dish has, literally, thousands of channels when you take in the local in locals. What they are doing makes total sense if you keep that in mind.

Why don't they just label the channel 140HD and get rid of the 9000's? I'm sure they could easily write a program which could distinguish between140 and 140HD, or 140SD and 140HD.

The 9000 number IS the actual channel number of the HD version.

The 100 number IS the actual number of the SD version.

You cannot put two channels on the same channel number, but you can map the 9000 channel number to the same 100 number as the SD version and display them either side-by-side OR use HD preference in the menu and the HD channel ONLY is displayed.

I understand the OP's point: it seems unnecessary to have the 9000 range open for access as it seem an UNNECESSARY duplication of HD channels. However, remember, some HD subscribers still choose to record the SD version instead of the HD version in order to save space on the HDD for "talking head" shows that don't greatly benefit from HD. But using the SD channel next to the HD channel can create confusion as I have inadvertently recorded 120 HD or SD when I wanted the other, so TWO channel numbers the same can get mixed up. The solution: use the 9000 range for all HD recordings so that one is certain to record HD when they want and not accidentally record the SD version on the 100-400 range by locking OUT the HD down-map, and the family won't accidentally (they really aren't careful), fill up the HDD with crappy content in HD, like the kiddo channels and TOON, as that is the true channel number of the SD channel. I did this for some time and was really a good way of clearly knowing when I wanted to access or record the SD version and not the HD version until Dish got a whole batch of HD and the household doesn't record as much content that doesn't benefit from HD (silly cartoons). However, for LIL, we still use the 8000 range so that they can record Oprah or those other stupid daytime talk shows in SD to save space and record HD LIL at the 2-99 range as we have set those to display HD when available. These two different channel neighborhoods makes it very clear when we want to record the HD or SD equivalent. I really DO NOT want Dish to hide the 8000 or 9000 unless they provide that as a feature that we can choose to set and NOT take those ranges away from us altogether.

As a side note, I really don't like it that Dish now hides international channels and only displays those to which one subscribes. I seem silly, but I really loved seeing how many channels were available and did read some of the INFO on some RED channeled stuff. Yeah, they show the international channels open in free preview, but it's not the same. Boo hoo :(

However, I do think it is time for Dish to give us the same feature that exists for LIL's: to set so that only the channel range we want displays. That would really be the solution to the OP's preference.

Last edited:
On the "Eastern Arc" when a HD version of a local is available they dont carry the SD version..I suspect they will eventually do the same thing with the rest of the HD channels thus eliminating the need for a channel in the 9000 range

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts