channelmaster/primestar dishes & other stuff - newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

blahhh

Original poster
Jun 22, 2015
upNorth
greetings - i picked up free 1.2m & 1m channelmaster/primestar dishes & other stuff. i did a bunch of reading here & a couple other places since i'm a newbie to all this. 1 has a Primestar "beer can" LNBF - NJR2162F which ziggy1222 says "is a single output with a internal 13/18v switch - harder to find but not impossible, newest version" & 1 with V & H outputs #967230524 printed & sticker with # 6462 - this one is flat in an oval cover - both with a cm3040645 feedhorn. there were 3" & 2.5" mounting brackets & posts for roof & side of a building (90º welded pipe+mount). i can maybe get some pics if needed, but they look like the one in post # 1934760

i'd like to get the 1.2m dish up and tuning 97 for a start. later i'd like to motorize it. to avoid trees i'll have to mount it on garage roof or a pole between my & neighbor's garage (3' apart) that is bracketed to the garage (i'll make a bracket with lag bolts for fine plumb adjustment) which i think is a better option for motorizing.

here is other stuff i have to get it going: pansat 3500SD, a few DISEqC 4x1 switches, zinwell SAM-4803 4x8 multiswitch, channelmaster 6904IFD 4x4 multiswitch, dish switch 21, dish/dtv lnbs. a pansat pm900s motor (25# limit) came with but the 1.2m dish = 27# ; 3" mount = 8# ; 2.5" mount = 4.5# - so i'll need a different motor i expect, and an HD receiver later. for now i'll go step by step & have some fun. here are some starting ?s - thanks for any and all advice

1. is the NJR2162F all i need for SD & HD tuning of 97 etc ?
2. plumb post = polar mount needed for good results when motorized?
3. where is Ziploc's post on weight reduction for motorizing - it's too old to appear in searches i tried i guess. thread 42450 ??
4. do you allow people to barter/buy/sell stuff here? i'll be looking for a motor soon i think & the 1m dish could be trade material.

thanks again for your help

i tried posting links to satelliteguys pages & got a spam warning & post denial so hopefully the post & thread #s are enough

greetings - i picked up free 1.2m & 1m channelmaster/primestar dishes & other stuff. i did a bunch of reading here & a couple other places since i'm a newbie to all this. 1 has a Primestar "beer can" LNBF - NJR2162F which ziggy1222 says "is a single output with a internal 13/18v switch - harder to find but not impossible, newest version" & 1 with V & H outputs #967230524 printed & sticker with # 6462 - this one is flat in an oval cover - both with a cm3040645 feedhorn. there were 3" & 2.5" mounting brackets & posts for roof & side of a building (90º welded pipe+mount). i can maybe get some pics if needed, but they look like the one in post # 1934760

i'd like to get the 1.2m dish up and tuning 97 for a start. later i'd like to motorize it. to avoid trees i'll have to mount it on garage roof or a pole between my & neighbor's garage (3' apart) that is bracketed to the garage (i'll make a bracket with lag bolts for fine plumb adjustment) which i think is a better option for motorizing.

here is other stuff i have to get it going: pansat 3500SD, a few DISEqC 4x1 switches, zinwell SAM-4803 4x8 multiswitch, channelmaster 6904IFD 4x4 multiswitch, dish switch 21, dish/dtv lnbs. a pansat pm900s motor (25# limit) came with but the 1.2m dish = 27# ; 3" mount = 8# ; 2.5" mount = 4.5# - so i'll need a different motor i expect, and an HD receiver later. for now i'll go step by step & have some fun. here are some starting ?s - thanks for any and all advice

3. where is Ziploc's post on weight reduction for motorizing - it's too old to appear in searches i tried i guess. thread 42450 ??
4. do you allow people to barter/buy/sell stuff here? i'll be looking for a motor soon i think & the 1m dish could be trade material.

thanks again for your help

i tried posting links to satelliteguys pages & got a spam warning & post denial so hopefully the post & thread #s are enough

:welcome to Satellite Guys blahhh! Nice find getting all that equipment. Yes, we love pictures, so if you have em', post em'. I believe the reason you couldn't post links is that you have to have ten posts first. Since you are looking to try 97W first what you have may be enough to get you started as most channels there are still DVB (not DVBS2). If you are like the rest of us you will want to 'upgrade' quickly. If so, you might want to try an Amiko Mini HD SE or GeoSatPro HDVR3500 receiver. If you need to upgrade the motor, I would recommend a Stab HH90 or HH100 for smaller dishes and a Stab HH120 for a 1.2 meter. They are made in Italy by the company that developed USALS technology. Your questions:

1. No personal experience with this - perhaps someone else who does can comment??
2. Yes, for any type of motorized setup (C or Ku) you will need a plumb post. Even a little off and you will experience problems.
3. Found the thread you were looking for - http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/279098/ . Unfortunately you can't click on the link for the lighter weight mount that Ziploc built. This could be because of the changeover to Xen forum software a while back. You might want to PM one of the helpers on the home page and ask if there is still a way to access that information.
4. Yes, there is a classified section here. You must be a supporting member (one who helps keep the site online) to post but cost to post is free with your Pub membership. Here are the rules for posting and reasons why it is for supporting members only: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3469301/

Good luck! :)

Welcome to Satelliteguys -
sorry for the delayed response, but there's a lot covered, so some research was necessary.
Will work, with the pansat3500SD on 97W. That satellite signals are all but a few MPEG2 (Pansat 3500 is DVB & MPEG2 only)
Need to upgrade receiver, for most on other satellites, with DVB-S2 & MPEG4. I use an NRJ on 103w and 121W (fixed dishes)
YES

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/200625/

IMHO - one motorized on a a 'real' polar mount is the way to go for trouble free solution.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/new-project-primestar-to-polar-mount.100414/

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/prodelin-1-2m-offset-on-birdview-h-h-mount.184324/

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/motorized-channel-master-1-2m-and-1-8m.299977/

Or at least - the STAB HH-120 and mounted like in this post
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3282236/
I responded to that, but never carried through after weighing options.

1 up trade - Anyone interested in an 8ft offset dish? (Look at my signature)
For sales, become a PUB, supporting member, and post here: SatelliteGuys Classifieds

All the switches you list: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/switch-setups-simplified.134124/
MOF - check all the threads in the FAQ section
Well, as I reach for the post button, FTA4PA,'s post appears, like I said before, I type slo-

Last edited:
Reactions: FTA4PA
thanks for the welcome & more good info to digest

forgot to ask directly - should i use the DISEqC switch for the lnb V & H ouputs or will one of the other switches i listed be better?

V & H ouputs
Use one of the multiswitches. You'll see that the inputs are labeled V and H or 13 - 16. ( H=16v, V = 13v. ) Then the STB selects polarity automatically via LNB voltage.

ok, the zinwell & channelmaster show 2 pair of 13v / 18v (not 16v) connections. since you didnt mention it is it right not to use the pair marked 22KHz ?

16 < < typo
You can use either pair. You would program 22Khz ON to use that pair labeled 22Khz. (capable of two satellites (dishes) with both pair used. Could 'feed' 4 or 8 receivers depending on which multi switch you use. All with independent channel selection.

thanks again for the great info - next challenge will be the motor. i'm looking @ the hh120 specs & it shows
Antenna support diameter (shaft diameter) - 54 mm - 2 1/8"
where the actual bracket is 3". i'm thinking to use some scrap auto heater hose to make strips to fill the gap or make a plate to adapt a 2.5" bracket with less hose strips - has anyone done something similar or have other ideas? (pole can be 2" - 3 1/4" so that's not a problem)

Agree with Titanium: Why invent bicycle and do not use original CM polar-mount? IMG_20150524_140414 (Large).jpg

Here, other side of the pond I see more polar-mounted CM120 dishes than Az-El mounted. On the second hand market such polar-mounted an antennas, if you are patient, possible to buy for 50 bucks. Usually mounts have rust and need some work to be done before installation.

Not in the USA. 99.99% of those types of dishes are ALL fixed mounts. You just don't have a car dealership and such that needs a polar mount on a 4 or 6' offset dish.

We also just do NOT have that sort of FTA stuff available over here, as the robber barons that run corporate America don't want people to know that they can get "free" satellite tv of any sort. So there just isn't enough of a market to make money where that sort of stuff is readily available.

Nice looking mount. I wonder how much wind load from a 1.2m can it handle? I think somebody could sell a bunch of them in the States, if the shipping wasn't out of line.

What would you think adequate price for this polar-mount is (never used)? I mean 30-40 EUR...
Think around 50Eu (or the US Equiv) delivered would be about right. But doubt it would be possible as the demand would be too small to make it profitable. (being it's being shipped/ imported from Europe)
(I'd take one in a heartbeat tho- - )

I am certain that shipping alone from the EU would be approx. $80-100US.

30-40 EUR ($35-40US) for the excellent condition, like new bracket is very fair and on the low side in my opinion. As I recall, these were retail priced over $125+ shipping when new.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)