Channels keep blanking out

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

voomontheloon

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
I wonder whether anyone else has been experiencing this puzzling problem.

Over the past 48 hourse, channels on my HD DVR Plus receiver would frequently blank out. When this happens, channels would either show a blank screen or have the Directv logo. All other functions would remain operational (such as bringing up the guide or menu). A reset (which is extremely tedious) would resolve the issue.

The above problem only happens with the DVR, not the other HD receivers I have.

Is it software or hardware related? Any info or advice on this would be much appreciated. Calling Directv has been a major waste of time.

I have seen another few users saying this in another thread, but related to a specific channel or two I think. I have not seen this on any of my units regardless of channel; what unit(s) are you using?

I have one HR21 and two H21. The problem only occurs with the HR21. My guess is it is software related. Unfortunately, the so called technicians at Directv are completely clueless.

I am happy to report that the issue has finally been identified and resolved by a Directv technician.

When Directv first did my installation, the technician used all the connectors (on the wall plates) pre-wired in my condo. It turns out that these connectors are good enough to pass a cable signal, but not quite sufficient to pass the signal from Directv. Evidently, it may take a few weeks before the problem manifests itself (why not immediately I don't know).

Now the connectors have been replaced and the problem seemed to have gone away (I'll have to wait a few weeks to see whether this is really true).

I guess the real lesson from this is that one cannot rely on the quality of pre-wiring done in a building (even if the building is brand new, like my condo).

I am happy to report that the issue has finally been identified and resolved by a Directv technician.

When Directv first did my installation, the technician used all the connectors (on the wall plates) pre-wired in my condo. It turns out that these connectors are good enough to pass a cable signal, but not quite sufficient to pass the signal from Directv. Evidently, it may take a few weeks before the problem manifests itself (why not immediately I don't know).

Now the connectors have been replaced and the problem seemed to have gone away (I'll have to wait a few weeks to see whether this is really true).

I guess the real lesson from this is that one cannot rely on the quality of pre-wiring done in a building (even if the building is brand new, like my condo).

Actually, awhile back there was a lot of talk about using the barrels that had a blue inside vs the white , I guess the pass differently, it's kinda hard to imagine as I always thought that all they did was bring them together as a way two splice two wires, I'm guessing they don't actually meet

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)