Disney Networks Dispute Recitifed

Well YTTV may not be a good option for me after all. I just noticed you can’t fast forward through the commercials on DVR’d shows. After having a Dish DVR for so many years there’s no way I can start watching commercials now.

DVR recordings​

You can record a program by adding it to your library. This means that all airings—including upcoming airings and reruns—will be recorded automatically. You typically can fast forward through ads on recorded programs once they've aired on live TV.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The main reason I went with the Flex Package was exactly what shrivels Mickey’s, er, “ears”: I don’t watch a lot of sports, and I am able to receive all of my local DMA channels OTA. With the loss of ESPN and Formula 1 from the National Sports Pack, that will save me $12/mo + taxes. Not getting my locals from Dish saves an additional $12/mo + taxes. I am keeping the Regional Sports Pack as that gives me Big10 access, but of course, this Saturday’s Purdue Boilermakers game is on ESPN.

The $80/yr for F1 TV Pro will basically break-even over the F1 season, but give me access to both the F1 TV and World Feed of the race weekend, plus timing, in-car driver camera feeds, and the Archive of Formula 1 races back to the 1980s.

Dish is gonna fold on this within a week or they're prepared to offer a service with 0 owned Disney channels. They have no leverage here.

No wonder they were fishing for 2 year price locks in August.

Reactions: mnassour
Well YTTV may not be a good option for me after all. I just noticed you can’t fast forward through the commercials on DVR’d shows. After having a Dish DVR for so many years there’s no way I can start watching commercials now.
You definitely can.

What might be happening is you have chosen the VOD version of your program rather than the DVR version.

But you absolutely can skip commercials with your recordings (not VOD)

This is without question the most expensive programming package in the industry and responsible for where pricing on traditional TV services has landed. There are plenty of other places to view similar content, they can keep these crap channels.
Similar is not the same. If you want to watch your team(s) play, it doesnt matter if another team is playing the same sport on a different channel.

You definitely can.

What might be happening is you have chosen the VOD version of your program rather than the DVR version.

But you absolutely can skip commercials with your recordings (not VOD)

That’s good to know. When I signed up for the free trial it asked me to choose shows that I watched. It added those shows to my library. I noticed this weeks Young Sheldon was in my library and since I haven’t watched it this week yet I tried it out. But I guess it was pulled in from their VOD.

Reactions: Ronnie-
The main reason I’ve stayed with Dish for some many years is the DVR. I watch a LOT of tv and the Hopper has been awesome. Plus I’ve been with them for so long I have all the channel numbers memorized that I watch. And I can maneuver the remote without ever looking at it.

But I invested in a good quality 4K tv this year and I’m really liking the picture quality of the streaming services. My only concern with the streaming services is the DVR. I realize YTTV has unlimited DVR. But I’m not sure I like the fact that shows expire after 9 months. Most shows I record are watched within a week or two. But I like being able to keep any particular show I want on the DVR for as long as I want to. So I guess I have some deciding to do.
There are four major streaming cable TV services that carry a broad range of channels, including locals: YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, DirecTV Stream, and Fubo TV. The cloud DVR for all of them gives you unlimited storage but the recordings expire after 9 months *except* for Fubo TV.

Fubo TV's cloud DVR lets you keep recordings indefinitely (as long as you stay continuously subscribed) but you're limited to 1,000 hours of recordings (which, let's be honest, should be enough for anyone). This is part of their standard "Pro" package that costs $70/mo. There are some drawbacks, though, in terms of the channels that Fubo TV does not carry. They don't have any of the Warner/Turner nets, so no CNN, TBS, TNT, TruTV, or Cartoon Network. And no way to add HBO in their app (although you can just subscribe directly to HBO Max via their own standalone app). Also, they do not carry any of the A+E nets, so no History, A&E, Lifetime, LMN or Vice.

Meanwhile, YouTube TV does not carry the A+E nets either. Hulu with Live TV does not carry the AMC nets (AMC, IFC, WeTV, BBC America). The only service that carries all the popular channels from all the different companies, including the Bally Sports regional sports networks, is DirecTV Stream. But they do tend to be a little more expensive in terms of what you pay for the channels you get.

Is there a way to set timers and record shows on YTTV? And is so, how many can be recorded (or saved) at the same time?

Yes …Just hit the + button on the show and it is added to your library (Some downside is they record every episode from every channel... You can't specify only new... But you can easily find the new programs)

You can record as many as you want at a time... There is unlimited dvr that saves the shows for 9 months from their air date

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
I've been with Dish since 2006 and I am a huge fan of their equipment…I also have 2 external hard drives that are almost filled to capacity... These are the two reasons I have stayed with them this long through all the disputes... But the price keeps increasing and we keep losing channels

This is the first time I have thought about leaving and going with YouTube tv which is amazing value if you have decent Internet speed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts