Charlie Chat Caps & Bytes

Dish has 26 part time RSNs. Obviously, they can easily find space for 14 full time (on the 2 TPs used for part time), but can you show me where the space is for the other 12 on the western arc? Not to mention space for some others they might be able to add with full time, like YES.

Actually, this afternoon, I was thinking, what if with the extra E14 spot capacity, they put RSNs on spot on the WA, and on CONUS on the EA. Then, most customers who want their local RSNs are good with the dish they have. Those that want out of market or the sports pack can get a wing dish. They save bandwidth on the arc that has less of it (in fact, they probably gain some space on WA), but keep most people happy.

TP 7 over at 119 has nothing but PPV HD movies on it, TP 15 has some room on it but not much... TP 19 has room also.

Over on 129, Dish is currently using two transponders for RSN's IE: 25, & 27. They are short two channels on 27, from full time, and over at 25, they are 9 channels short. for a total of 12 channels short over at WA. 31 has some space on it. Also why not bring 148 back into the mix for wa coustomers, for those who are west of the mississippi... They could requre everyone in the pacific time zone to get a wing for their rsn and that could help out a bit..
Has anyone thought of that?

TP 7 over at 119 has nothing but PPV HD movies on it, TP 15 has some room on it but not much... TP 19 has room also.

Over on 129, Dish is currently using two transponders for RSN's IE: 25, & 27. They are short two channels on 27, from full time, and over at 25, they are 9 channels short. for a total of 12 channels short over at WA. 31 has some space on it. Also why not bring 148 back into the mix for wa coustomers, for those who are west of the mississippi... They could requre everyone in the pacific time zone to get a wing for their rsn and that could help out a bit..

No freaking way. My RSN stays where it is. I had to get migrated from a hybrid setup to WA just to get it in the first place. Not willing to deal with going through that again.

I almost missed it as well, I forgot all about it until I came online and saw it listed on our homepage...

Sorry guys mind has been elsewhere the past few days.
I did miss it, was stuck at work, with the schedule I have now there is little taking off as we have to work our days off to let someone else off & other than CES all my days off this year have been medical related... (and Vacation for that)

Not as much, but they need to do more of the special coverage stuff, or if the transponders are not used, why not light up RSN's for the studio stuff too. If a game isnt airing on channel X during the 7-10 pm why not turn it off an allow another channel (y) to get their game on, and then once that game's over swich channel x back to full time mode and do a rotation like that.

That could be an idea. I would really like to come up with a solution for charlie and everyone, as I dont just want to be complaining all the time, I would like to help fix it too! :up
why not at least put some the big city area ones in HD full time + all HD over flows.

also some you should of asked about CLTV as well.

Not as much, but they need to do more of the special coverage stuff, or if the transponders are not used, why not light up RSN's for the studio stuff too. If a game isnt airing on channel X during the 7-10 pm why not turn it off an allow another channel (y) to get their game on, and then once that game's over swich channel x back to full time mode and do a rotation like that.

That could be an idea. I would really like to come up with a solution for charlie and everyone, as I dont just want to be complaining all the time, I would like to help fix it too! :up
why not at least put some the big city area ones in HD full time + all HD over flows. or you want your CSN CHI HD get AT&T , comcast or Directv they all have the full CSN CHI line up.

also you should of asked about CLTV as well.

Currently, there is no satellite at 148. I don't think Dish should require a wing dish to get a local RSN, so 148 is a bad idea. This just shows that there isn't currently space, especially if Dish wants to keep some space open for the likes of ESPNU, AMC, IFC, and others (when the litigation is settled, of course).

What do you think of my idea to put them on spot on the WA, and CONUS on the EA?

Finding spots that are big enough for a RSN area is a problem.

I agree, 148 would not be a good option for anything less than a complete service.

For a couple, but not all. Look at the beam maps for E14. Several spots are very large.

For example, beam A12, which has one TP assigned to it (that can be used at present), and is not currently in use.

SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 119°W

Fox Sports Ohio/Cinnci is seen throughout Ohio, as well as parts of Indiana, Kentucky, Northwest Pennsylvania, the border communities of West Virginia, and extreme Southwest New York. The spotbeam covers those areas.

Sportstime Ohio is only for Ohio and some boarder areas, and is easily covered. Same with FSN Indiana, which is for only Indiana.

So there are 4 RSNs that could go on a spot. Granted, I don't know Dish's plans for beam A12, but it is possible. Some, indeed might have to reamin CONUS, but with just one spot, we reduced the need from finding space for 12 channels to 8. Find 8 more that can go to spot and cover their areas, we would be in buisness.

148 could be a wingdish alternative for the west coast for those that sub to a sports pack. But again, the idea of adding a ton of wing dishes just to get your local RSN is not good.

Good idea for niche applications, but does nothing for Sports Packages of which there are many. Reminds me of FOX Sports West 2. ;)
Too bad those Sports Packages require duplicate bandwidth(one for each arc).

Last edited:
Thanks & wait Goalie

Thanks Defergie and Goaliebob try not hi jacking more threads to do something that is not in the cards for awhile. The sports will go in after E* has enuff room for them. 148 (when they get a bird there) really should be dedicated to far W. Coast, Alaska & Hawaii. Then those areas can get all the HD that the continental 48 gets.

Good idea for niche applications, but does nothing for Sports Packages of which there are many. Reminds me of FOX Sports West 2. ;)
Too bad those Sports Packages require duplicate bandwidth(one for each arc).

That's why you could just put them on 72.7 CONUS. Those that want sports packs can just get a wing dish.

If that is too low for the west coast, they could also put them on 148 when a new sat is put there.

Fact is, there is not enough space on the WA until we see the MPEG4 transition.

Dish is trying to get away from wing dishes. That's why we have eastern and western arcs. That will standardize the thing. These things will come in time.

Single dish should be the rule of thumb. E* should do it's very best to stay away from multi-dish setups. Move forward to going all MPEG 4 and get rid of the old systems.

Dish is trying to get away from wing dishes. That's why we have eastern and western arcs. That will standardize the thing. These things will come in time.

If they are trying to do away with them they have a bad way of showing it. They need to push my area's locals to Eastern Arc in both SD and HD so we can stop pointing to the West where the arc is lower and we have a harder time hitting the Sat's due to mostly tree's. We shouldn't be putting up WA Sat's at all on the East coast.. it is stupid. Only EA is what we should be putting up, all 1000.4's but nooooooooooo

It's seems more accurate to say they are getting away from mixed arc setups. The 110/119/61.5 wing dish setups are what they want gone. So long as you have a Dish 1000, 1000.2, or 1000.4, they are OK if you add an aditional orbital slot. After all, they are the ones that added the LNB in port on the latter 2 dishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts