Charlie Chat HD

I was wondering why I hadn't seen any Charlie Chat updates in the last couple of years. :)

BTW to go HD is SUPER expensive. Everything from the lens to the transmitter has to be upgraded and NOTHING is cheap. This is why there are so many channels that still haven't made the switch.

TNGTony said:
I was wondering why I hadn't seen any Charlie Chat updates in the last couple of years. :)

BTW to go HD is SUPER expensive. Everything from the lens to the transmitter has to be upgraded and NOTHING is cheap. This is why there are so many channels that still haven't made the switch.

dish also nolonger does tech talk as well. now you have dish studio and what's on dish. check ch101 for showtimes

its changing to a dance show called jukin with joe. :whoo:

I think you meant Hoppin with Joey. :D

TNGTony- If Dish wanted to do the show as a prerecorded show only, not live. The cost would be minimal. It the live part is what makes it super expensive in HD. I've done both as a full production company so I know the difference. I've had two experiences with live. Both were done with rented facilities. The lowest cost procedure would be the way my company did it and that only requires 4 HD camcorders with iso taping and then the program is assembled in post with HD NLE. Dish already has the HD uplink capability so once the HD program is made and on their server, it can be uplinked with their HD equipment for those transponders allocated for HD. But, it would require more bandwidth TP space. Producing the show as an offline doesn't have to be super expensive.

As for the viewer participation, they could do it with making requests on channel 101 to send in your questions and suggestions to: give a phone number and e-mail and skype line. Other shows are doing this already. These are answered in the program as inserts assembled in post. Now, when the prerecorded show airs, put up a disclaimer that the callers were prerecorded to avoid new callers from disappointment not getting through live. On some of my shows we did this as a call back system and had to make a number of calls until we reached one that was able to speak during the show recording. All this is the magic of editing.

Last edited:
I think you meant Hoppin with Joey. :D

TNGTony- If Dish wanted to do the show as a prerecorded show only, not live. The cost would be minimal. It the live part is what makes it super expensive in HD. I've done both as a full production company so I know the difference. I've had two experiences with live. Both were done with rented facilities. The lowest cost procedure would be the way my company did it and that only requires 4 HD camcorders with iso taping and then the program is assembled in post with HD NLE. Dish already has the HD uplink capability so once the HD program is made and on their server, it can be uplinked with their HD equipment for those transponders allocated for HD. But, it would require more bandwidth TP space. Producing the show as an offline doesn't have to be super expensive.

As for the viewer participation, they could do it with making requests on channel 101 to send in your questions and suggestions to: give a phone number and e-mail and skype line. Other shows are doing this already. These are answered in the program as inserts assembled in post. Now, when the prerecorded show airs, put up a disclaimer that the callers were prerecorded to avoid new callers from disappointment not getting through live. On some of my shows we did this as a call back system and had to make a number of calls until we reached one that was able to speak during the show recording. All this is the magic of editing.

Just reading your explanation is more work than the more recent Charlie Chats are worth....... :)

They retired the Charlie Chats after they had me on as a guest. They figured they couldn't find a better guest to top me so they canceled the show. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Don, I was thinking about replacing the equipment they already have, and taking into mind editing time which is expensive. HD camcorders look good, but nowhere near as good as $15,000 lens/camera/triax adapter sets. I know you can do an HD tricaster with camcorders but you can see the difference and it looks cheesy... and you are still talking 10,000 to own. You can just rent a studio for a day, but Dish has their own SD studio. I was talking about the price to upgrade it, that would be the uber expensive part.

Don, I was thinking about replacing the equipment they already have, and taking into mind editing time which is expensive. HD camcorders look good, but nowhere near as good as $15,000 lens/camera/triax adapter sets. I know you can do an HD tricaster with camcorders but you can see the difference and it looks cheesy... and you are still talking 10,000 to own. You can just rent a studio for a day, but Dish has their own SD studio. I was talking about the price to upgrade it, that would be the uber expensive part.
sounds like a dish commercial to me........

Right! but I would never suggest using consumer camcorders, even HD ones. However, the industrial grade are near broadcast and if a small company like mine can do it for HDTV, then I see Dish Network could do the same but they would need to sacrifice the live switch, live call in, control room, complexity for a single editor and a computer based edit work station. It's my solution to the claim "It's too expensive!"

Note- DVC Pro HD camcorders and Final Cut, Vegas Pro or Premiere. can be the bean counter's friend.

Last edited:
Just reading your explanation is more work than the more recent Charlie Chats are worth....... :)

LOL! I always liked the tech chats better anyway, but my wife said those engineers are boring. She preferred the Charlie Chat. But then she likes men who are self made millionaires. :D

For many years, Rick Steves' Europe, Art Mann Presents, and the Art Wolfe and Peter Lik photography shows have a grand total of two guys with Sony HDV camcorder and sometimes a boom mike - and none of those shows look cheesy...

Note- DVC Pro HD camcorders and Final Cut, Vegas Pro or Premiere. can be the bean counter's friend.
Exactly what we are starting to use at our access center. Bur we are working SLOWLY at converting to HD. Our switcher and cameras are there, but we need EVERYTHING ELSE to the fiber transmitter! Not cheap. :) Then we need to convince TW to give us the bandwidth. Hahaha...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)