Charlie Chat HDTV Quote

James Long

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
Michiana: South of the Border
Posted for reference:
Charles Ergen - CEO Dish Network on Charlie Chat
We did enter into an agreement with Cablevision on the "Voom" satellite to aquire that satellite at the 61 and 1/2 degree location. We already have a satellite there ourselves as well. We also aquired capacity there.

We did not aquire the Voom programing assets, they have about 21 channels of of high definition television - we did not aquire that, and they have indicated that they may continue to broadcast at a different location or something.

We have to wait until we get the FCC approval for the aquisition. That could take anywhere from three to six months, probably. But once we are approved for that it does give us a lot more capacity to do a lot more high definition television. We are looking for every way to be able to do that. That's kinda step number one.

The second thing for high definition television is that we have a new technology called MPEG-4 which is a different form of compression that actually doubles the amount of capacity of high definition television vs our current MPEG-2.

So one of the things that we want to wait on is to add a lot of channels in MPEG-4 so we don't have a lot of people to work with to upgrade to that new service.

So long story short is - (we should probably do this in a show and give more schedule about programming in HDTV but) - It's probably more of a fall type product when you will see more HDTV from Dish Network.

We certainly hope from a HDTV perspective that we have more HDTV than any cable company or any available satellite. We view it as the wave of the future, there are so many things with the DVR and the UHF remote controls and the two tuners in a box we have been a leader, and we will also be a leader in HDTV.

Stand by to more Charlie Chats, and (we won't get into a lot of details here but) we're going to wait on new satellites that we have in process, we have to wait on MPEG-4 technology which is a technology we are testing today - but the product isn't out until late this fall.​
Jim interjects: "And that's how it relates to any real volume of HD programming, is there a chance that we will have anything before the fall?
We may add a few channels before this fall - The industry is still evolving, I saw where Starz! is going to take down their HDTV movie channel "Encore" - I don't believe we put that one up, now they are going to take it down - so we didn't confuse people with that. There are a lot of people who are going to enter the HDTV programming business, a lot of it is going to be late this year - a lot of it next year.

I can only say that if you like HDTV and you are a Dish Network subscriber I think that you are going to like a lot of the things that we do. We put those plans in place to be able to do that. We are just not ready to announce every single thing we are going to do there until we are ready. There will probably be a Charlie Chat several months from now when we do that.​
JL

blah, blah, blah, blah.....................blaaaaahhhh, blah, blah, blah, blah

o.k., now that we've cleared up the hdtv issue, now let's get back to the clock channel.
jim when is that coming on?
well charlie let me tell you.......................................

Same lame explanation as in "With SuperDish, Dish will add 50 HD channels". Where did that go?

Charlie likes to talk too much but shows very little action (except for internationals channels) when it comes to adding HD channels. I will not hold my breath on that one and take it as another insult to being an E* sub. Thanks Charlie but your words are meaningless.

Sean Mota said:
Same lame explanation as in "With SuperDish, Dish will add 50 HD channels". Where did that go?
I thought the quote was "with SuperDish we will have the CAPACITY for 50 HD Channels". Even Voom hasn't hit 50, and they had to create half of their HD channels in house to get as far as they did.

E* has blown it on HD --- perhaps in the Fall they will redeem themselves.

JL

But JL the point you are missing the point, Charlie has been saying since last year that more HD is coming in the fall.

We are now coming up to our second fall with Charlie saying the same thing. The problem here is Charlie did not say "what fall" the new HD was coming. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
But JL the point you are missing the point, Charlie has been saying since last year that more HD is coming in the fall.

We are now coming up to our second fall with Charlie saying the same thing. The problem here is Charlie did not say "what fall" the new HD was coming. :)
Not to nit-pick, but a couple of new HD channels have shown up in the last year. TNT-HD (good for basketball, and lately some HD movies), and NBA-HD (also good for basketball). :)

justalurker said:
I thought the quote was "with SuperDish we will have the CAPACITY for 50 HD Channels". Even Voom hasn't hit 50, and they had to create half of their HD channels in house to get as far as they did.

E* has blown it on HD --- perhaps in the Fall they will redeem themselves.

JL

I just did a yahoo search that said "Superdish and more HD" and this pop up in a post at some forum called HDTVoice.

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 1, 2003--EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) and its DISH Network(TM), a leading provider of satellite television entertainment services, announced today an agreement to offer customers this summer two new high definition TV networks, HDNet and HDNet Movies.
EchoStar Chairman and CEO Charles Ergen and HDNet Co-founder and President Mark Cuban are making the announcement at DISH Network's annual Team Summit satellite TV retailer conference here where more than 3,000 attendees gathered for seminars and workshops about new DISH Network products and services.
HDNet and HDNet Movies will be available to customers using DISH Network's new SuperDish, unveiled to satellite TV retailers today. The SuperDish, an elliptical 66-centimeter dish, is capable of offering customers access to hundreds of popular DISH Network channels, local channels in new markets, HDTV channels and international programming. The SuperDish is capable of receiving satellite signals from three orbital locations.
"DISH Network is enriching the home theater experience everywhere by delivering more HD sports, movies and special events like those offered by HDNet," said Ergen. "By developing the SuperDish to provide up to 50 HD channels, DISH Network will offer consumers a more superior alternative to the dominant cable companies."

bruce said:
..."By developing the SuperDish to provide up to 50 HD channels, DISH Network will offer consumers a more superior alternative to the dominant cable companies."
Why are you validating JL's point?

mdonnelly said:
Why are you validating JL's point?

I don't care a da*n thing about Rocket Raccoon's point, my point was we can't believe Charlie, that story is almost 2 years old, what HD is on the superdish, and if anyone says bandwidth, they have been adding plenty of other channels over the last two years on the other birds, not just on the AMC birds.

I know somebody probably has the answer but can someone print how many channels E* has added since May 1, 2003 (SD & HD). Let's look at that list and we will know where E* is heading as far as HD channels is concerned. E* subs have been silent too much giving Charlie the benefit of the doubt for a long time. It is time that E* understands that their subs cannot live on "empty promises" every year. Every Charlie Chat or Forum Tech Chat, is always stating next spring, next fall, next summer. Guess what, the deadline keeps changing and that is real bullsh**t.

Sean Mota said:
I know somebody probably has the answer but can someone print how many channels E* has added since May 1, 2003 (SD & HD)...
You can get the data from the EKB on dbstalk. I don't want to cut 'n paste it into the forum ('cuz I don't want any trouble :) ). Look at the current channel chart, then compare it to the snapshots from previous years.

Even after reading the Charlie quote I still felt like I saw his lips moving but not really saying anything. We'll be in deep crap if the man ever decided to run for public office. He really seems to have double talk with no meaning down to an art.

Sean Mota said:
I know somebody probably has the answer but can someone print how many channels E* has added since May 1, 2003 (SD & HD).
HD - everything they have except Discovery and CBS-HD (East and West).
September 2003:
Disc, Show, HBO, HD Events, HD PPV, CBS-HD E/W, HD Demo (61.5)
HD Added Since:
TNT, HD Net, HD Net Movies, ESPN-HD, HD Events 2 (NBA TV HD)
Note: All HD except CBS-HD and HD Demo moved to 110
SD - The PI's and Shopping seem to stick out, but real channels added to AT packages:
Reality TV, Telefutura, Univision West, GOL TV, Si TV, Mun2, Nicktoons, TVGC, HRTV
Plus Sirius Music, Spanish and Gay PPV Channels, two Chineese channels in English, French and Spanish, and a couple RSN changes.
Plus they went from 64 local markets (Apr 30th, 2003) to 155 markets (D* went from 53 to 130).
Internationals were also increased (I have not counted, but Chuck's promise of 100 Internationals will be met).

Yes, the money and effort is going to non-HD. But E* also managed to get to 11 million customers (somebody likes them) and post quarters with operating gain as well.

JL

More HD from Charlie

What Hd is out there other than what charlie has now
network feeds, yes directv has those and they are the only ones with retansmission agreements with the big 4 , and you can get that same crap off of ota.
Voom has what 50 some channels most of which have been created by voom or is upconverted crap.
Directv might have 1 or 2 more hdtv channels than charlie does, but then again they also have 8 million more subs and way more commercial subs than he does.

My other question is what else is out there in hd other than the hd nets , and the special sports nets and locals, nothing that I have ever seen, and when it comes to hd cable is a joke, my local cable co. does not even offer 1 hd channel yet i get like 7 from echostar and 8 ota.

Well my point is here that if you want more hd you need to bitch at the broadcaster and programmers not at charlie.

Just my $.02 worth

I don't think so, he makes good points. There really isn't much HD dish doesn't have. Yet everyone is screaming for more, more, more. But not much more exists....

BFG said:
I don't think so, he makes good points. There really isn't much HD dish doesn't have. Yet everyone is screaming for more, more, more. But not much more exists....
And until some more tranponders open up on 110/119, E* would have to increase the compression if they wanted to put more HD up. And I think those transponders will open up when the one dish locals solution is implemented via the AMC-15/16 birds.

So E*'s quandry is content vs. quality when it comes to HD. If I were making the choice, I'd choose HD quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts