Charlie Chat Recap and Discussion

gdarwin

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 9, 2005
Lousville, KY
Guess what.... Charley said 15 Voom channels...

(Mod edit, merged from another thread, brief Recap of High points on page 3)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did we just get blindsided? I remember them saying last month that MPEG4 was not going to happen anytime soon. I just got my 942 today with an install this weekend. Is this going to be pointless, and a $250 loss?

riffjim4069 said:
...with 5 of them being MPEG-4, which is complete opposite of what we heard in the November Tech Chat. Does Charlie know what he's talking about or did E* do an about face?
I wonder if our beating Dish up over the poor quality caused them to decide to accelerate MPEG4 in order to provide the quality we want and still keep on their original schedule for roll out of new channels.

I still think the additionalvoom will be mpeg2. I'm hoping that's a mistake by charlie

On tonight's Charlie Chat, Charlie said the following regarding new HD programming :
1. They are adding ESPN2HD in January
2. They will add 5 more VOOM channels in January. He said 21 was too many so they consolidated them down to only 15.
3. In January they are adding the HD locals in 5 markets : New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta and I am sorry I missed the 5th one.
The thing that I was confused about is he talked about how they are going to use MPEG4. I couldn't decide if he meant for these channels or in the future. I remember on the last TECH Chat they said they would not be using MPEG4 for a while. Has this policy changed ? I wonder if we will need a new MPEG4 receiver to get these channels. That is what I was confused on. Does anyone know what the MPEG4 situation is ? Could We actually need to exchange our receivers to MPEG4 by January ?
He also said they will have an all HD Programming Chat on January 9, 2006.

A more detailed recap will be posted here soon but some highlights so far:
HD Locals will start in January
5 markets planned so far - New York, LA, Chicago, Boston, Atlanta
Voom will have 5 more channels in January
ESPN2HD coming in January
January Chat is all about HD
Please feel free to discuss here

Last edited:
rdinkel said:
I wonder if our beating Dish up over the poor quality caused them to decide to accelerate MPEG4 in order to provide the quality we want and still keep on their original schedule for roll out of new channels.
It seems like dropping the number of VOOM Originals down from 21 to 15 would take care of the PQ issues. The HD LIL (LA, NY, Atlanta, Chicago, Boston) in MPEG-4 was surprising since they can rollout MPEG-4 receivers in a phased approach to their customers. But broadcasting five (5) VOOM channels in MPEG-4 just doesn't seem like good business sense since everyone with and HD receiver will want a MPEG-4 receiver overnight. HD LIL MPEG-4, yes! VOOM MPEG-4, I way that Charlie is mistaken. I'm so confused.:confused:

Thanks again BFG, Looks like its going to be a great new years! and just so we can discuss this here, 5 channels from 11? could this be so we get them at full resoloution?
(merged after these comments)

Last edited:
The locals might be MPEG4. I think they will be using the spot beams on Rainbow 1at 61.5 for all the cities but LA

If I can ala carte WLS-HD out of Chicago, I'd be happy:D Our "local" ABC affiliate is an LP repeater and probably will be analog into the next millenium...

Thats what I got from it BFG, it that it will be mpeg4, so I am confused now too I would like to know more what is going on. He also memtioned new receivers coming out next month(411,211VIP I assume), but I thought they were mpeg2.
I am just as lost as you are??????

I moved post from the voom thread about comments from tonights chat into this thread, so sorry if the first couple posts seem to start weird

BFG said:
The locals might be MPEG4. I think they will be using the spot beams on Rainbow 1at 61.5 for all the cities but LA
What would that mean for distant networks if they only use spot beams for the local areas? Hopefully, at least NY and LA will not be spot beams.

riffjim4069 said:
But broadcasting five (5) VOOM channels in MPEG-4 just doesn't seem like good business sense since everyone with and HD receiver will want a MPEG-4 receiver overnight.

Or maybe that's the business plan. I wonder if they'll make it free like DirecTV does.

teachsac said:
Did we just get blindsided? I remember them saying last month that MPEG4 was not going to happen anytime soon. I just got my 942 today with an install this weekend. Is this going to be pointless, and a $250 loss?
I lease a 942 and have been pulling a John Kerry (waffling) about purchasing a 2nd one. After three months of going back-and-forth, I was ready to pull the trigger since FiOS TV won't be available in my area for another 12-18 months (and after listening to last months Tech Chat). Now this! I'm sure E* will offer an upgrade plan, but that's probably 6-12 months away so we're stuck unable to view the new HD channels. Perhaps that's why E* will be offering VOOM at no extra charge, because only those upgrading equipment and committing to 18 or more months of programming will be able to receive them.

Maybe I should ignore everything Charlie just mentioned and wait for the HD Chat on January 9th? Ugh! I get the feeling E* is flying by the seat of their pants with this MPEG-4 stuff.

I just sent an e-mail to ceo for clarification on what was said tonight, since everyone there claims not to know anything until Charlie announces it. I just got my 942 and don't want to be out $250 based on the info they gave on the tech forum last month. Granted I'll probably be getting a 211/411 for my bedroom when I get my LCD. Believe it or not folks I still have an 4000 from like '98.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts