Charlie Chat Recap and Discussion

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Also remember that the total number of HD subscribers when the 6000 8PSK module change was made was quite low. Given that it was during what one could consider to be the "pioneer" era of HD and the low numbers of people affected, you could make sloppy changes without it being a major news story.

ww2154 said:
Charlie said 30 hd channels plus locals by early 2006. There is no way that will happen.

TNT HD
Discovery HD
HDNet
HDNetmv
ESPN HD
HBO HD
SHO HD
HD PPV
CBS HD

ABC HD
NBC HD
FOX HD
ESPN2 HD

15 VOOM channels

That's 28 even if there are no more channels added. 29 if you count the HD Demo channel.

If they add Universal HD and one other channels, like Starz-HD, they will have 30-31.

Looks to me like it is very doable. Why do you think it isn't?

I think its very doable. IF he said there would be 30 and with the new channels that he has announced is only 28 then that means that he must have a couple HD channels up his sleave. Maybe he will anounce them Jan.5

Cyclone said:
I'm fairly certain that Discovery HD Theater required the 8PSK module from the day it launched. The other HD channels at the time (HD Demo, HBO & SHO) used QPSK and did not require the module.
Here's how I remember it. When I first got my 6000 in September, 2001 (easy to remember that date!), all I got in HD was HBO, SHO, and Demo Channel. Later (sometime in '02), they had Discovery HD in QPSK for a short time "in the clear." They then converted it to 8PSK, and you had to buy the adaptor for the 6000 to recieve it ($99, and DHD was, I think, $10/mo by itself!). Then, they came out with the HD Pak (DHD, ESPN, HDNET, HDNET Movies), and priced it at $10/mo. It was at that time that I bought the 8PSK module, for $49, I believe.

The 6k is still going strong today, but I'm on my second 921.

Brad

Yep. that how it went. Discovery HD was on free preview for the first month on the 61.5 sat location only. The preview was on the HD Demo channel. The next month Discovery HD was no longer on the on the HD demo channel. It was on another channel on 61.5 and on the 148 sat which required the 8PSK module. I don't even think you could see the channel in your guide unless you the the 8PSK module.

I remember when Discovery HD came out on Dish. Charlis said we would need to buy the 8psk adapter for the 6000 to get Discovery HD and ALL FUTURE HD offerings.

Now if Charlie is smart the Network HD channels (ABC,NBC,CBS and FOX) should be offered in Mpeg 2 and sold to O&O markets (like CBS already is) and to White area customers

This way Dishnetwork can get the most bang for the buck.

RVD420 said:
Now if Charlie is smart the Network HD channels (ABC,NBC,CBS and FOX) should be offered in Mpeg 2 and sold to O&O markets (like CBS already is) and to White area customers
This way Dishnetwork can get the most bang for the buck.
What do you mean with this remark?

Do you think that WB HD will be included as well?

Tom Bombadil said:
TNT HD
Discovery HD
HDNet
HDNetmv
ESPN HD
HBO HD
SHO HD
HD PPV
CBS HD
ABC HD
NBC HD
FOX HD
ESPN2 HD
15 VOOM channels
That's 28 even if there are no more channels added. 29 if you count the HD Demo channel.
If they add Universal HD and one other channels, like Starz-HD, they will have 30-31.

They probably will only offer the Big Four (Fox,CBS,NBC,ABC) at first. Later on they will offer WB,UPN, and PBS. This is the way Directv is doing it. This is not fact just my opinion.

Dish needs to start thinking about adding Bravo-HD and NG-HD !!

National Geographic has announced it will be in HD in Jan. or Feb.

fred

Fredinva said:
Dish needs to start thinking about adding Bravo-HD and NG-HD !!
National Geographic has announced it will be in HD in Jan. or Feb.
fred

You mean Universal HD, it replaced Bravo-HD.

"Seeing" is believing, and when it comes to promises, I believe it when I see it. "Seeing" is believing when it comes to HD but so does the lower in resolution on those HD channels.

farce ?

Those chats are such a farce. Ya just gotta laugh! :)

Last time I saw anyone with any professional style, was the director of communications (?), a vocal and well infomed lady.
She could deliver in 10 minutes, what they waste the hour on. :)

The Charlie Chats look like something off your local cable access channel.
Just the good ole boys...
Camera and Direction are poor, too.
Does anyone script that show? Is there a rehersal? ha! :)
The Tech Chats are better, if not professional.

Is anyone familiar with the term vanity press?
That's where you pay to have your book published.
Quality and content doesn't matter.

Anyway, the shows are fun, if not that informative.
I can't believe all the storm over Charlie's obvious errors in this months show.

Oh, and in addition to the speculation in all the posts above, what happens if the new satellite fails?
What happens if he can't get the chips to make the new receivers? quanity/delivery/quality
What happens if his tech staff can't get the bugs out of the firmware?
Until the ink is dry on contracts with content providers, it's all up in the air.

You think Charlie was nebulous on this show?
He won't know much more by CES in January.

Just stay tuned....it's a heck of a show. :)

Charlie is outdated...

juan said:
Charlie looked very confused when he was talking about the mpeg 4 stuff I wouldn't be surprised if he had no clue what really is going on!!

Charlie always looks confused about what's going on.:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)