Charlie commercial during Vikings/Saints, no more separate HD?

Edgar_in_Indy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
After the Dish Network commercial last night during the Vikings and Saints game, I figured that I would come to SatelliteGuys and see some new front page news regarding Dish Network and the way they market HD. But nothing on the front page, and I don't see any new threads about the commercial either.

I apologize if this is an old commercial or old news, but for those that missed it there was an ad where Charlie Ergen is sitting in his office having a serious conversation with the viewer. He says that when he was growing up, there was no extra charge for color programming, and in a similar vein Dish will no longer charge extra for HD.

So I expected to go to the Dish website and see something new. But I still see HD packages listed separately, and references to the "Free HD for life" (if you sign a 24-month contract, which to me implies that they will still charge extra for HD if you decline to lock yourself in for such a long time).

So did I take Charlie's message too literally, or will Dish soon remove references to HD packages and HD charges?

Too bad. I think it's just about time that they stop treating HD as something special since there are very few major networks NOT broadcasting in HD these days.

crux of the fight

Too bad. I think it's just about time that they stop treating HD as something special since there are very few major networks NOT broadcasting in HD these days.

That right there is the crux of the fight tween Disney & E* Disney wants payment for SD & HD as if they were something different.

AND .... damned liar ! Did not have to pay for color so why should we pay for HD ? HD free ? Not really . $ 10 to $ 17.00 a MONTH for the box ! Yep . We are not paying for HD . We just have to pay to get it ? Anybody confused ? LMAO . Another reason I left . He cannot even spin things properly . I got ripped off long enough . You guys keep getting your HD for free . Good luck with that .:D

AND .... damned liar ! Did not have to pay for color so why should we pay for HD ? HD free ? Not really . $ 10 to $ 17.00 a MONTH for the box ! Yep . We are not paying for HD . We just have to pay to get it ? Anybody confused ? LMAO . Another reason I left . He cannot even spin things properly . I got ripped off long enough . You guys keep getting your HD for free . Good luck with that .:D
And you can add to it, the FACT that people did pay more for color TV when it first came out. A color TV set was much more expensive than a black and white set. So people paid more to watch a free color broadcast vs the same free broadcast in black and white

it's time for cable operators and satellite providers to ditch SD channels. HD channels work fine for people with those ancient non-HD tube things, so let them linger in technological obscurity while we move forward as a society into what is the future.. HD and 3D. )

damned liar ! ....He cannot even spin things properly.

I would agree with that assessment. I was already aware of the Free HD for Life promotion, but his statement in the commercial did not make me think of that promotion. It sounded like the days of Dish Network dealing with HD as something separate were over. But of course, that's not the case. Very misleading ad, IMO.

I would agree with that assessment. I was already aware of the Free HD for Life promotion, but his statement in the commercial did not make me think of that promotion. It sounded like the days of Dish Network dealing with HD as something separate were over. But of course, that's not the case. Very misleading ad, IMO.

Nothing new from the sat/cable providers, eh....

And you can add to it, the FACT that people did pay more for color TV when it first came out. A color TV set was much more expensive than a black and white set. So people paid more to watch a free color broadcast vs the same free broadcast in black and white

And a HDTV set was much more than a NTSC TV when they first came out and HDTV are still mroe expensive than a non-hdtv DTV set.

But, like I said before, Dish does currently pay some broadcasters one fee for sd and another for HD. So I imagine Disney is asking much more for theirs than the broadcasters do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts