Charlie Ergen interviewed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Dish Chief: TV Needs to Change - WSJ.com

In a rare interview, Mr. Ergen for the first time explained publicly his rationale for introducing the ad-skipping service called Auto Hop last month. The reclusive satellite TV pioneer said the broadcast networks, several of which have sued Dish over the ad-skipping feature and have refused to run Dish ads promoting a Dish digital video recorder, have been "more emotional than realistic."

Article is free to read for now from the Wall Street Journal.

Over four hours last Friday, both at his Englewood, Colo., headquarters and his favorite pancake restaurant nearby (the famously frugal billionaire ate a half stack of buttermilk pancakes, price $2.98), Mr. Ergen mused on the dangers posed to pay TV by cheap online video, his plans for a mobile broadband network and the similarities between business and his favorite games of chance—poker, blackjack and backgammon

On the current dispute with Hoak:

So far, the service has provoked an intense backlash from broadcasters. On Wednesday, Dish said a Dallas-based TV station group, Hoak Media Corp., pulled its 14 stations in six states off Dish's service. Dish said Hoak is demanding a 200% rate increase and is asking that Dish turn off Auto Hop in Hoak markets. Hoak didn't respond to requests for comment.

Last edited:
I like the TV ad executive comment on targeted advertising: "That's like putting nice drapery on top of a casket".

Does not sound very optimistic about the future of commercial television...

"If the ad is skipped, the consumer likes it, but it's not necessarily good for me and it's not necessarily good for the broadcaster because I'm in the same ecosystem as him," Mr. Ergen said. "So we have to figure out how the broadcaster benefits, we benefit and the consumer continues to feel like he gets a fair deal. So maybe [the consumer] pays a little bit less for 'retrans,' his bill doesn't go up by double digits every year.... That's an interesting conversation to have."

What we have been saying. They get advertising dollars, AND now escalating retransmission fees for each and every affiliate, all carrying the same shows. The consumers have to feel they are getting something out of the extra charges. Skipping commercials.

Dish Chief Spies Opening For New Wireless Network - WSJ.com

The companion article talking about Dish's wireless plans. It is a pay one right now, but it could come up free tomorrow.

He seems serious with his plans to build the network

To defray the cost and Dish's shortage of cellular expertise, Mr. Ergen has said it would make sense to partner. He has said "obvious" carrier partners include T-Mobile and Sprint Nextel Corp., S +0.74% which could benefit from sharing extra spectrum. Sprint declines to comment on Dish specifically but says it is "open to opportunities with spectrum holders who can't or don't want to build a network for their spectrum." T-Mobile declined to comment.

"I talk to everybody who will talk to me. They feel sorry for me because I am such an idiot" about the wireless industry, he jokes. If partnerships don't work out, though, he says, he's "prepared to go it alone."

Yeah an "idiot" that has managed to out fox quite a few (including FOX) and become a billionaire. The cell industry probably should take him seriously. Starting from scratch with a huge fiber back haul already in place (huge fiber network assembled by Dish for TV back haul), he is in a fairly strong position compared to others that might just want to start.

I like the TV ad executive comment on targeted advertising: "That's like putting nice drapery on top of a casket".

Does not sound very optimistic about the future of commercial television...

There are definitely some changes headed our way. The article stated, "Ergen mused on the dangers posed to pay TV by cheap online video..." However, he will need to play his cards smartly because Dish/SATS is a major part of the existing TV system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts