Charlie Ergen plan with Rainbow-1, his words

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Scott Greczkowski said:
The interesting point of that to me is the "or something" part. :)
Agreed. I believe that Charlie E doesn't want to get in the way of Voom's survival at this point in time, but he may be more than willing to get involved later on - perhaps in the fall when E* is ready (or at least more ready) to integrate Voom into its service.

Charlie E did confirm that E* wants the capacity, he barely mentioned the super-spot-beam satellite. But the idea that "something" may happen to Voom (other than a new location) is interesting.

JL

Charlie Ergen statements are equal or lower to CSRs statements --- they mean "nothing" in the whole scheme of things (IMO). Be skeptic...He was just rambling. That's all. Have seen it so many times that it has become as good as comic book.

Sean Mota said:
Charlie Ergen statements are equal or lower to CSRs statements --- they mean "nothing" in the whole scheme of things (IMO). Be skeptic...He was just rambling. That's all. Have seen it so many times that it has become as good as comic book.

Hey don't put down comic books. :D

Jamey K said:
I', still wondering why Chuck would kick in 10 M for a service he wasn't absolutely sure wasn't going to be around. Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong point....but they are adding channels like crazy and still taking orders. It just doesn't make sense that this is a business that is closing soon.

According to OUR contracts they can change or disconnect service without notice, so what are they losing signing new ppl on???

This is how much we can believe Charlie about more HD:

"DISH Network is enriching the home theater experience everywhere by delivering more HD sports, movies and special events like those offered by HDNet," said Ergen. "By developing the SuperDish to provide up to 50 HD channels, DISH Network will offer consumers a more superior alternative to the dominant cable companies."

This is from May 1, 2003.
I also posted the whole story at the E* forum.

bruce said:
This is how much we can believe Charlie about more HD:

"DISH Network is enriching the home theater experience everywhere by delivering more HD sports, movies and special events like those offered by HDNet," said Ergen. "By developing the SuperDish to provide up to 50 HD channels, DISH Network will offer consumers a more superior alternative to the dominant cable companies."
Nice words, "UP TO". And yes, HD can be received on a SuperDish ... Both SuperDishes pick up 110 where most of E*'s HD is.

It's not E*'s original plan. I believe they EXPECTED that there would be more HD available in Dec 2003 to launch and the problem with AMC-2 certainly didn't help. Some day, E* "will offer" what they promised. :D

JL

justalurker said:
Actually, he said more than that. He mumbles, but this is reasonably close:
Charles Ergen - CEO Dish Network on Charlie Chat
We did enter into an agreement with Cablevision on the "Voom" satellite to aquire that satellite at the 61 and 1/2 degree location. We already have a satellite there ourselves as well. We also aquired capacity there.

We did not aquire the Voom programing assets, they have about 21 channels of of high definition television - we did not aquire that, and they have indicated that they may continue to broadcast at a different location or something.

We have to wait until we get the FCC approval for the aquisition. That could take anywhere from three to six months, probably. But once we are approved for that it does give us a lot more capacity to do a lot more high definition television. We are looking for every way to be able to do that. That's kinda step number one.

The second thing for high definition television is that we have a new technology called MPEG-4 which is a different form of compression that actually doubles the amount of capacity of high definition television vs our current MPEG-2.

So one of the things that we want to wait on is to add a lot of channels in MPEG-4 so we don't have a lot of people to work with to upgrade to that new service.

So long story short is - (we should probably do this in a show and give more schedule about programming in HDTV but) - It's probably more of a fall type product when you will see more HDTV from Dish Network.

We certainly hope from a HDTV perspective that we have more HDTV than any cable company or any available satellite. We view it as the wave of the future, there are so many things with the DVR and the UHF remote controls and the two tuners in a box we have been a leader, and we will also be a leader in HDTV.

Stand by to more Charlie Chats, and (we won't get into a lot of details here but) we're going to wait on new satellites that we have in process, we have to wait on MPEG-4 technology which is a technology we are testing today - but the product isn't out until late this fall.​
Jim interjects: "And that's how it relates to any real volume of HD programming, is there a chance that we will have anything before the fall?
We may add a few channels before this fall - The industry is still evolving, I saw where Starz! is going to take down their HDTV movie channel "Encore" - I don't believe we put that one up, now they are going to take it down - so we didn't confuse people with that. There are a lot of people who are going to enter the HDTV programming business, a lot of it is going to be late this year - a lot of it next year.

I can only say that if you like HDTV and you are a Dish Network subscriber I think that you are going to like a lot of the things that we do. We put those plans in place to be able to do that. We are just not ready to announce every single thing we are going to do there until we are ready. There will probably be a Charlie Chat several months from now when we do that.​
"Late Fall" fits nicely into the timeline of getting E10 to 110 opening up more transponders for HD there, AMC-15 finally to 105 where HD can go if needed, and Rainbow1 cleared for East Coast HD (E1 and E2 providing West Coast HD).

JL
Wow great!!! If VOOM folds, we can all sign up for E* :rolleyes:

makes no sense they went away from 61.5 and the multi dish to the 1 dish super size me solution just to go back to 2 dishes that point in opposite directions????????????

rang1995 said:
makes no sense they went away from 61.5 and the multi dish to the 1 dish super size me solution just to go back to 2 dishes that point in opposite directions????????????
E* still has a fair amount of locals on 61.5 . The best rumors have 61.5 being used for HD locals and "SuperDish" being used for additional national HD.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts