Charlie says

dude2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
On the chat last night, charlie said all of dish HD is 1080i or however it is received is how it goes out from them. Also he said some HD is received as 480i and that is how it will go out.
Is this true that some of the stuff is only 480i, maybe that is why some hd does not look great, and some is super.

He was confused, but I think he was referring to some older movies not being in HD/widescreen. They don't recieve any "HD" channels in 480i.

On the chat last night, charlie said all of dish HD is 1080i or however it is received is how it goes out from them. Also he said some HD is received as 480i and that is how it will go out.
Is this true that some of the stuff is only 480i, maybe that is why some hd does not look great, and some is super.

He glossed over some of the technical details, but here is the gist:

A&E-HD frequently shows old episodes of "24". They use the same 4x3 480i feed as the A&E SD channel.

This despite the fact that DVDs of all seasons of "24" can be rented at any store in 16x9 !

So, if A&E-HD walked down to the corner and rented a DVD of "24" and used that instead of their SD feed, they would be showing the whole image, instead of the cropped 4x3 image they actually do show. :rolleyes:

It is my understanding that there are NO HD channels that send out 1080i or p.
So it is going to be hard for E* to send out 1080 i or p programs.

It is my understanding that there are NO HD channels that send out 1080i or p.
So it is going to be hard for E* to send out 1080 i or p programs.

Err most of the channels that Dish carries are 1080i.

The only ones that are not (and this is from memory) are ESPN HD - ESPN2 HD - A&E HD and possibly Starz HD (Not 100% on that one) the rest are 1080i including the VOOM channels.

There is no broadcast 1080p yet.

Also, broadcast networks Fox and ABC only do 720p. CBS and NBC do 1080i. At least that was the numbers last I checked.

Fox, ABC, NatGeo, ESPN and ESPN2 all currently do 720p. EVERY other channel is 1080i. Whoever told you no channels send 1080i needs to lay off the crack pipe.

so what do you guys recommend that setup my 622 to, 1080i or 720p ?

It all depends on your TV. My one HD set takes all 720P signals and downconverts it to 480P. Because of this I set that receiver to 1080i to output. My other set does 1080i and 720P conversion just fine so I set it to native with my OTA channels and leave it at 720P on the 622. I do this becuase the set is a 720P HD set. I let the TV do the processing for me.

Last edited:
It all depends on your TV. My one HD set takes all 720P signals and downconverts it to 480P. Because of this I set that receiver to 1080i to output. My other set does 1080i and 720P conversion just fine so I set it to native. I let the TV do the processing for me.

well when i set the 622 to 1080i, my tv shows on disply 1080i, also when i setup the 622 to 720p, it shows me 720p, ??? i usally keep it on 1080i. i can't tell the diffrence.

so what do you guys recommend that setup my 622 to, 1080i or 720p ?

I prefer to send the channels native reso to my tv, meaning with the 622 if I go to Natgeo I change the box to 720p. If I go to DiscHd, I change the box to 1080i.

I really hope the 622 gets native passthrough someday like the hr20.

well when i set the 622 to 1080i, my tv shows on disply 1080i, also when i setup the 622 to 720p, it shows me 720p, ??? i usally keep it on 1080i. i can't tell the diffrence.

If you cant tell a difference I personally would set it on whatever the resolution of your TV is.

Sorry I had my original answer wrong.

Your tv is telling you the input resolution, not what it is displaying. The tv always outputs its native, it just has to modify whatever is sent into it.

And yes, most of the time you wont notice a difference. My tv is 720p native, and the 720p channels look sharper to me with the box set to 720p instead of 1080i for those channels.

If you cant tell a difference I personally would set it on whatever the resolution of your TV is.

thanks, the reason i ask, cause some of these crazy customer ask me to many question. and someone from DTV told my brother that they came out with 1080P HD DVR, so i was arguing with him on resolution.

Your tv is telling you the input resolution, not what it is displaying. The tv always outputs its native, it just has to modify whatever is sent into it.

And yes, most of the time you wont notice a difference. My tv is 720p native, and the 720p channels look sharper to me with the box set to 720p instead of 1080i for those channels.

Native is the perfect solution. I would hate changing the settings like this every time I switched channels.

Native is the perfect solution. I would hate changing the settings like this every time I switched channels.

Yeah, Ive had people flame the hell outta me on here for changing resolution, but the 720p channels look better on 720p, and if I leave the box on 1080i while watching 480i is does some funky stuff too. Id just soon the box not **** with it and let my tv do the work.

thanks, the reason i ask, cause some of these crazy customer ask me to many question. and someone from DTV told my brother that they came out with 1080P HD DVR, so i was arguing with him on resolution.

No problem. Until Dish supports Native pass through there will never be a real good answer to this question. Everybody will have the own opinions on this matter and they will most likely conflict.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)