Charlie Talks About New HD in 2008

Fiveft20in

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Central Illinois
From the Madison, Wisconsin, Capital Times, in an article about Charter Communications' quarterly loss:

Link
Ergen said DISH will have 100 national HD networks and local HD channels in 100 markets by the end of 2008, up from about 70 national HD networks and local HD in 34 markets at the end of 2007.

"Obviously, almost everyone who wants HD wants their local channels in HD," Ergen said during a conference call with analysts. "So you're competitively challenged in markets where you don't have it."

If they stick with the current number of 70 and only give us 30 new channels by the end of 08 then that means... By the end of this year DirecTV will STILL have tons more HD channels than Dish. Already right now DirecTV has 35 HD channels Dish does not. If they only plan to add 30 then we'd be missing those 5 plus a bunch more that is bound to be launched this year.

If they stick with the current number of 70 and only give us 30 new channels by the end of 08 then that means... By the end of this year DirecTV will STILL have tons more HD channels than Dish. Already right now DirecTV has 35 HD channels Dish does not. If they only plan to add 30 then we'd be missing those 5 plus a bunch more that is bound to be launched this year.

Amen!!!!!

When it is all said and done both of these providers are going to have the same amount of HD channels. By the time everybody out there has an HD television both providers will offer the same programming. The decision on which one you choose will come down to hardware.(E*'s hardware kicks ass)

I'm leaving "E" next Tuesday and going back to cable because my local cable company added 15 new HD channels this week and I was told that they are adding 50 more about 6 to 8 months from now! Can cable company's really carry that many HD channels?

What good is it to have channels that have the HD logo on the corner of the screen but no HD programming? A lot of those so called HD channels are nothing but stretch-o-vision. Just remember, patience is a virtue.

What channels did Cox add? Last I checked they added Food, HGTV, Travel HD back on Feb12 and that was it. Other than locals and the 4 premium movie channels Cox Tulsa only has 21 HD channels, all of which Dish has except Travel, Mojo, and CNN HD. They are moving to SDV late this summer which will open up some bandwidth, but it will be a while just like with Dish.

I'm leaving "E" next Tuesday and going back to cable because my local cable company added 15 new HD channels this week and I was told that they are adding 50 more about 6 to 8 months from now! Can cable company's really carry that many HD channels?

They use a lot of bandwidth for the first 50 or so channels that are an analog signal. Most plan to convert them to a digital signal (not confused w/ HD!) which will free up more bandwidth.

Also, they have been developing better compression to use bandwidth efficiently. With that said, there are rumors of the ability to then offer upto >30MB/s internet speeds with some of the new tech.

obermi

What makes you beleive the cable pormise is more valid that the E promise? I would be really suprised to see any cable company add that many HD ch. in the time frame mentioned.

When it is all said and done both of these providers are going to have the same amount of HD channels. By the time everybody out there has an HD television both providers will offer the same programming. The decision on which one you choose will come down to hardware.(E*'s hardware kicks ass)

That is not necessary true. I love E*'s hardware, but there is programing out there that mightl never be on E*, i.e. YES Network (Yankees), MLB EI Package, NFL Sunday Ticket, MSG-HD (Buffalo Sabres Games) and in my situation local hd channels. All of these are available now with D*.

So all providers will never necessarily be equal, and some of us will have to make decisions after a subscription expires (NHL CI).:confused:

What good is it to have channels that have the HD logo on the corner of the screen but no HD programming? A lot of those so called HD channels are nothing but stretch-o-vision. Just remember, patience is a virtue.

If this statement helps you sleep better at night, so be it, but this is complete garbage. Nearly every hd channel offers a MIXTURE of upconverted and HD programming. If it is available in HD, I WANT IT, period. NBC upconverts a lot of its programming in the evening, but no one would want that channel removed. Complete HORSE SH**!

Can cable company's really carry that many HD channels?
One trick the cable companies are doing is migrating analog cable channels to their digital tiers. For example, Comcast of Central PA just "converted" CMT, GSN, TCM and the TV Guide Channel to digital (requiring box or cablecard - not in QAM), then turning around and adding 8 HD channels with extra bandwidth to spare. (I believe the ratio is something like 3-4 digital channels for each analog channel removed). Great for HD customers already subscribing to digital, sucks for the little old lady who has to get a digital cable box for CMT (guess also great for coNcast -extra fees to collect for box rental). - but I digress...

My poor TV is starved for HD (clear QAM on limited basic is supposed to pull all the locals, I get NBC, ABC and CW :(, no PBS, FOX or CBS), not wanting to give CONcast anymore money then they are already getting from me; I am VERY tempted to aim for the DishHD only pack (once Charlie starts walking the talk).

Upconverted SD still looks better than SD compressed crap. If those channels have one hour a month in HD, thats one hour a month of HD dish does not have.

Especially if it's theone program you like. Some people tend to forget with the HD channel programs are added all the time. When Spike HD first launched there was not HD programming (the SD look very good) not there are a few shows here and there. Without the HD channel some people would never know. I we all waited for 100 % HD on the channels we still would not have the networks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)