stone phillips420

On Vacation
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
earth
hey chuck times running out time to put up or shutup
NBR on all 5xx series and 721, and 921
your nbr suxs on the new 522 625 but its slightly better than nothing

The 721 and 921 are NOT going to get the NBR.

The 501/08/10 were supposed to get it by the end of the year.

And, it's not as great as everyone makes it out to be. I'm perfectly happy with my 721's event based recording. I has a D*TiVo(shut it off), and wasn't inpressed. I'll take the 721's speed and features over the D*TiVo's anyday.

In it's present form, I'll pass. It's not worth the chance of screwing up my 50x receivers. IMHO.

NightRyder

juan said:
If it sucks why do you want it???
cause its better than nothing.

larrystotler said:
The 721 and 921 are NOT going to get the NBR.

The 501/08/10 were supposed to get it by the end of the year.

And, it's not as great as everyone makes it out to be. I'm perfectly happy with my 721's event based recording. I has a D*TiVo(shut it off), and wasn't inpressed. I'll take the 721's speed and features over the D*TiVo's anyday.
one can dream obout nbr coming to 721 and 921, you must be 1 out of a million that prefers dish's dvr to tivo

tivo is dead!!! D* has dropped them and they now have a mirror image of e* dvr (for some unknown reason) including bugs and all

NightRyder said:
My experience with Dish software updates indicates that many times nothing is preferable. ;)

I have to agree. Why would you request that charlie munge up the software on your box just for this one small feature. I'm at the point where I'd rather have my 522 reflashed to the pre-nbr firmware just to get it working reliably again.

juan said:
tivo is dead!!! D* has dropped them and they now have a mirror image of e* dvr (for some unknown reason) including bugs and all

juan,

Hasn't TIVO contracted with one of the major Cable outfits to build HD Cable PVR's?

4 against and none for...amazing...and the reason is that people don't trust Dish to program the boxes. It is a sad state of affairs when the consumers give up like this. My SA Tivo that I bought in 1999 is still running on it's original hard drive and "archaeic" software. Dish should be held to the fire on the promises made and the ability to do it right.

I, for one, am waiting on my NBR as well.

juan said:

TiVo is not dead. That is completely ridiculous. They've signed with Comcast and still have a large independent user base.

mikew said:
4 against and none for...amazing...and the reason is that people don't trust Dish to program the boxes. It is a sad state of affairs when the consumers give up like this.

Give up? I don't know. For some reason the prospect of having Dish preform a major upgrade on my DVRs reminds me of the following old fable.

There was this scorpion who wanted to cross the river, but couldn't because he was such a poor swimmer. So he asked a fox if he could cross the stream on his back. "Are you crazy?" exclaimed the fox. "You'll sting me while I'm swimming and I'll drown." "My dear fox," laughed the scorpion, "If I were to sting you, I would die too. Now where's the logic in that?" "I guess you're right" said the fox. "Go ahead-hop on!" The scorpion climbed aboard and all went well for a time, but when the two were no further than half way across the river, the scorpion gave the fox a mighty sting. As they both began to sink to the bottom, the fox gasping for breath, cried out: "You said there would be no logic in stinging me. Why did you do it?" "It had nothing to do with logic," said the drowning scorpion. "It's just my nature."

NightRyder

juan said:
tivo is dead (on directv) I guess i should have been clearer!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
It's not DEAD on D* either! Those D-Tivo's will still be around for several years. The ONLY thing is that they will no longer be made, but there will still be plenty around as used &/or refurbed for years & D* will be keeping the service up for the foreseable future. Do ya honestly think Rupert gonna shut them ALL down en masse', considering they are still putting hundreds of them in day after day right now?

Remember the UTV's - they continue to work just fine, thank you, even a few years after not being made anymore - I still have customers that still use them to this day.

stone phillips420 said:
one can dream obout nbr coming to 721 and 921, you must be 1 out of a million that prefers dish's dvr to tivo

I've hated the TiVo interface for years. It is SLOW, too HAND HOLDING, and just too "Cutesy"(best word my daughters could think of). The 721 is FAST, has PiP(which the D*TiVos still do NOT have), has a 120GB drive(still bigger than the D*TiVo - though they can be user upgraded), and has been pretty much flawless for me. I did have to have my original unit replaced due to a dead hard drive(but being a computer tech, I am used to that). Now that it's out of warrenty, I will install another drive myself since it is easy to do. I prefer the 721's setup over the 522/625/942's.

Silly question

As I expect to come home to find a new 721 waiting at my door, I have to ask....what is the difference between name based recording and event based recording? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Event based recording records based on the Time specified. If you watch something that is on at 9pm every saturday for 2 hours, that is when it is recorded. If it is not on, or changes datesm you have to manually reset the timer.

Name based recording records based on the name of the show. If CSI moves to a different night, the system catches that(theoratically) and changes to record it at the new date/time. NBR also allows you to search for shows to record that may be on different channels and set up timers for them. With EBR, you have to set the timers manually for each show/time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)