Chart: Comparison between Dish MRV and Direct MRV

Added a note about future OTA updates for the Hopper/Joey system

Attachments

• Hopper VS D-MRV.pdf
    114.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Hopper VS D-MRV.xls
    31.5 KB · Views: 130
Added 1 important to me and many a deal breaker, EHDD archiving...
Excellent. I forgot all about the external harddrive.

Guys,

Keep them coming.

One mistake though. On the DirecTV column where you added Yes* DVR only. It does not need to be a DVR to be used as a standalone receiver.

Attachments

• Hopper VS D-MRV.pdf
    112.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Hopper VS D-MRV.xls
    31 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Yes but the home unit which if you use H series is the only one with an internal ...
The issue is that the HR20's have 3 different size drives, the HR21's have different size drives, the HR22's all have different size drives, and the same is true for the HR23's, HR24's, and HR34's. All of which can be used as the primary host server for MRV. They can also all be used as the secondary receivers as well, adding even more variation to recording space. In a sense you can use multiple HR34's in an MRV setting and get multiple terabytes of recording space.

It will just get way to confusing adding all of the different variations and combinations in a chart. I can mention the range of recording space options for the primary units only.

The issue is that the HR20's have 3 different size drives, the HR21's have different size drives, the HR22's all have different size drives, and the same is true for the HR23's, HR24's, and HR34's. All of which can be used as the primary host server for MRV. They can also all be used as the secondary receivers as well, adding even more variation to recording space. In a sense you can use multiple HR34's in an MRV setting and get multiple terabytes of recording space.

It will just get way to confusing adding all of the different variations and combinations in a chart. I can mention the range of recording space options for the primary units only.
That is still avoiding the fact that the HR34's internal is half the size of the Hopper ... ;) There are some that bought the HR34 as a standalone only.

That is still avoiding the fact that the HR34's internal is half the size of the Hopper ... ;) There are some that bought the HR34 as a standalone only.
I am not avoiding it. This is a thread about MRV as a whole, not the HR34 or the Hopper by itself.

Here is what I will do. After researching it I found the the DirecTV DVRs have recording spaces of 320, 500, and 1,000 GB. I will make a column of hard drive space for the primary only server DVR for MRV.

Last edited:
I am not avoiding it. This is a thread about MRV as a whole, not the HR34 or the Hopper by itself.

Here is what I will do. After researching it I found the the DirecTV DVRs have recording spaces of 320, 500, and 1,000 GB. I will make a column of hard drive space for the primary only server DVR for MRV.
doesn't the hopper reserve a lot of internal space for the Dish partition because of things like PTAT?

comparisons are going to get tricky

Added info on Hard Drive for primary DVR in MRV only, and fixed my spelling errors.

Attachments

• Hopper VS D-MRV.pdf
    119.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Hopper VS D-MRV.xls
    31.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
I can't wait to see what kind of lifespan the H34's hard drive has with 5 tuners recording to it simultaneously. :p

Do you suppose that recording an entire transponder (and potentially two more tuners and BB@Home simultaneously) being recorded every day of the week, along with 4 output streams, is less challenging?

Added info on Hard Drive for primary DVR in MRV only, and fixed my spelling errors.

Again, I think you did a fine job with this. Just making the chart is stepping on a landmine... :) So now, just don't take your foot off and you'll be fine. :D

Do you suppose that recording an entire transponder (and potentially two more tuners and BB@Home simultaneously) being recorded every day of the week, along with 4 output streams, is less challenging?

For 3 hours a day, and it's a single data stream until it's demuxed. As opposed to 5 continuous individual streams being constantly cached. You lose. But thank you for playing.

For 3 hours a day, and it's a single data stream until it's demuxed. As opposed to 5 continuous individual streams being constantly cached. You lose. But thank you for playing.

It's not very hard to have the CPU mux the streams together and only send one stream to the hard drive with the 1-5 shows in the file. It's all just 1's and 0's to the hard drive and the CPU just feeds it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts