charter cable modem

simpcountry

Original poster
Jun 25, 2006
i have dial up services. i brought a cable modem from a yard sale thats still in the box. the people said they never used it. i was wondering since i have free cable can i hook this modem to my computer and make it work. we have charter cable in our subdivison. thanks

regardless of where you got the modem, the cable co. would have to provision (i.e. activate) it for their network.

simpcountry said:
i have dial up services. i brought a cable modem from a yard sale thats still in the box. the people said they never used it. i was wondering since i have free cable can i hook this modem to my computer and make it work. we have charter cable in our subdivison. thanks

free cable ??? how did you do that?

simpcountry, how does that work getting "free cable"?

note: free cable does not mean free internet. your mac address has to be in there computer system and authorized to work.

Last edited:
1well i brought this home 7yrs. ago from the original owners.(elderly couple). just plugged in the outlet and its been on ever since. i figured that 1 day they will come through and check the lines and unhook it. but they have'nt as of yet. they have come through and hooked up neighbors of mines. i really do not know how they over look that. good for me. its just expanded cable - 1-99.

simpcountry said:
1well i brought this home 7yrs. ago from the original owners.(elderly couple). just plugged in the outlet and its been on ever since. i figured that 1 day they will come through and check the lines and unhook it. but they have'nt as of yet. they have come through and hooked up neighbors of mines. i really do not know how they over look that. good for me. its just expanded cable - 1-99.

theft is theft, if you are not paying, then you are stealing even if you did it or not!!! excuses like, "it was hooked up when I moved in". DOES NOT CUT IT IN A COURT OF LAW PERIOD. You know the difference between right and wrong or at least you should. That's like saying, " the power was on when you moved in" and come to find out the meter had been tampered with and you didn't call and report it. if you didn't have it turn on and receiving services free regardless of you doing it or not and continue to receive it free, then it is theft. I hope they find you, and lock you up. :mad:

alot of communities have free cable. the area i am moving to has free basic cable. it is bundled with the home owners association. he might be in one of those areas and not even know it. hence, he says 1 - 99. that is anolog cable. if the cable company was stupid enough to leave it on, then it is on them.

for me, i have free ( dues in association) cable coming in my new house, but i am going to have the fios people disonnect it from the ground so i can receive superior picture quailty and service.

Years ago when Dish started offering some channels that I had been getting through cable, I decided to downgrade my cable service to lifeline basic from cable-ready basic. This meant that the cable company had to send out a technitian to put a trap on the pole coming to my house. I downgraded the service in November 1998. By January the trap was still not in place, but my bill had been reduced to the lifeline basic price (nearly 75% lower rate). I called the cable company to tell them I was getting too many channels. They said okay and hung up on me. I called back a month later (February 1999) to tell them I was still getting the channels I wasn't supposed to get. They politely told me to get stuffed. A month later I did the same with the same result. So from November 1998 to January 2006 when they finally shut off the channels I shouldn't have been getting, I was receiving "free cable" as well. Should I be banned for this? I certainly hope not! If the cable company doesn't care to follow though on its own procedures, whose fault is that?

For the record I watched the "extra-free" channels only when my Dish service was out due to rain fade or other technical issues. The "extra" channels were essentially what makes up Dish's AT120 now.

See ya
Tony

When I lived in Duluth, part of my association dues was the "free cable" they gave us. Again analog cable. It was one of the "perks" for living in this area (and they really didnt want dishes on the house but OTARD helped with that) :)

TNGtony
I had the same thing. I went to basic (lifeline) cable years ago and they never came out and put the filters on. They told me "a couple days" and I lived there for 2 years and they never put the filters on.

So because I watched those channels that they forgot to block I'm a thief?

My folks had free cable, including the premium channels!

But... The cable company had a right-of-way through their property to get to their dishes, so that was the deal made between them and the cable copany.

Me climbing the mountain and visiting the dishes occasionally is what got me interested in satellites.

They moved, and now have Dish. But now they have free natural gas, for the same reason.

TNGTony, there is a difference in what you did and him, you reported it, he didn't. you have proof of making contact, he didn't have a leg to stand on. either way, theft of service could apply and has applied in some of my cases. should people come in here and ask for "bin files" because it is Dish and Bell's fault for not making there system more secure? No, why? It's theft of a signal no matter how you look at it.

from time to time, traps being installed or account was not cut off does happen. (mainly from bad employees to lazy to do so.) After a while however if you are getting it free and you don't live in a hoa that already provides the service and you have not made no effort of calling and getting yourself legally paying for it, it is theft. If they have an amnesty program, best take up on the offer. If they do not, then hope they don't catch you, as I said, "it was on when I moved in" does not cut it in court of law. They can prove it is on and you are not paying a bill, but you cannot prove you didn't do it. The judge will tell you, you know about it and made no effort to correct the issue, and that in itself gets you in trouble. I'm speaking from experience. I cut off everyone I ever have, I trap out everyone that should be and I keep a tight ship.

simpcountry, they lifted the ban on you, I guess to explian yourself unsure why. I doubt you are in a hoa, but I will say this, "go get yourself legal, set up your modem and then come back as a legal customer and tell us about your experience. this saying, "they have come through and hooked up neighbors of mines." makes me believe you are not, because being in a hoa and having it already on does not require installers coming out and hooking up your neighbours. The only time anyone from cable would be there is to maintain or repair and that should be about it. (unless upgrading with digital boxes)

Personally I don't live in a hoa and don't care to, this is basically an organization that seeks to have some sort of new found power (government feel) over people and property. If you live in these areas and bitch one time about anything, remember you made the choice to live there. I live in the country, I have 83 acres around me, I could set up an uplink station with 50 foot dishes and no one to say a damn thing about the size but, "damn that is big".

in closing theft is theft and it is not tolerated period regardless of it being a FTA box with bin files loaded or you move in to a house with cable on that should be off and 7 years later made no effort to call. theft of a signal either way.

Last edited:
Personally I don't live in a hoa and don't care to, this is basically an organization that seeks to have some sort of new found power (government feel) over people and property. If you live in these areas and bitch one time about anything, remember you made the choice to live there.
huh?

I live in a townhouse that has a HOA but when I bought the house the only thing I knew about was Dish & Direct. I have no issues with our HOA now (we had a head of HOA who had issues) but I kinda like having a HOA to a point
-I don't need to plow a driveway in the winter
-I don't need to cut grass
-The neighbors can't make the area look like a hellhole. It has to stay nice

from time to time, traps being installed or account was not cut off does happen. (mainly from bad employees to lazy to do so.) After a while however if you are getting it free and you don't live in a hoa that already provides the service and you have not made no effort of calling and getting yourself legally paying for it, it is theft
is it our fault if the cable company is lazy? I called them twice and they said "they'd have someone out there" but never did. So I said hell with it. The last time I had cable (at a townhouse for 5 months) they had something computerized because when I called to activate cable it was on the TV in 10 minutes and just the "lifeline" stuff.

Around here, Mediacom only sometimes installs a trap. The installers I have spoke with all say the same thing - IF they have any extra traps, they trap it. They seem to be in short supply around here. Also, they say if they have to climb a pole, it's not worth it. They also tell me that the "good" channels are all digital anyway, and the best answer I have heard from them is: "We are already getting you for $65 a month for internet only, so the least we can do is give you analog" :)

Iceberg said:
huh?

I live in a townhouse that has a HOA but when I bought the house the only thing I knew about was Dish & Direct. I have no issues with our HOA now (we had a head of HOA who had issues) but I kinda like having a HOA to a point
-I don't need to plow a driveway in the winter
-I don't need to cut grass
-The neighbors can't make the area look like a hellhole. It has to stay nice

can you enjoy your FTA hobby with a c band dish sitting in the yard and scanning the whole arc? NO, instead you have to hide a 6 ft. on your porch behind the house with limited access to the arc.

Iceberg said:
is it our fault if the cable company is lazy? I called them twice and they said "they'd have someone out there" but never did. So I said hell with it. The last time I had cable (at a townhouse for 5 months) they had something computerized because when I called to activate cable it was on the TV in 10 minutes and just the "lifeline" stuff.

also noted the term "lazy" being used, but you don't plow your drive or cut your grass? most people elsewhere does, personally I don't mind it, exercise is good for you. :)

cablewithaview said:
can you enjoy your FTA hobby with a c band dish sitting in the yard and scanning the whole arc? NO, instead you have to hide a 6 ft. on your porch behind the house with limited access to the arc.

I don't have to hide anything. It is on the deck because they said we cannot bury anything in the yard. If I wanted to put the damn thing in front of my garage and get the whole arc I could. It wouldnt be any different than the neighbor parking is car out there. But I have it on the deck with the other 5 dishes.

also noted the term "lazy" being used, but you don't plow your drive or cut your grass? most people elsewhere does, personally I don't mind it, exercise is good for you. :)
I plow the driveway at our lake house and cut the grass. I also cut the grass at my grandma's (until she moved into a HOA area). Throw in the fact I have 2 bad knees (one of which has been repaired on) so the thought of cutting the grass with a push mower isn't really in my idea of "fun" (we have a rider at the lake because we have an acre)

Iceberg said:
I don't have to hide anything. It is on the deck because they said we cannot bury anything in the yard. If I wanted to put the damn thing in front of my garage and get the whole arc I could. It wouldnt be any different than the neighbor parking is car out there. But I have it on the deck with the other 5 dishes.

I plow the driveway at our lake house and cut the grass. I also cut the grass at my grandma's (until she moved into a HOA area). Throw in the fact I have 2 bad knees (one of which has been repaired on) so the thought of cutting the grass with a push mower isn't really in my idea of "fun" (we have a rider at the lake because we have an acre)

fair enough

HOA's are great for some people, not so great for others. I myself like doing yardwork, but not everyone does. I don't think a person is lazy just because they don't have to push snow or mow grass! Some people would rather spend their time doing something else rather than worry about that. As for lazy employees...every industry has them. I do know for a fact, that around here, that is the one of the main reasons there are not traps on cable internet hookups. Back to HOA's. Some are over bearing, but they are there for a reason, and that usually is a good thing.

83 acres - COOL! That is a lot of land! Lots of work too. Not for everyone. My "lottery house" will be a compound out away from everybody :)

iafirebuff said:
Around here, Mediacom only sometimes installs a trap. The installers I have spoke with all say the same thing - IF they have any extra traps, they trap it. They seem to be in short supply around here. Also, they say if they have to climb a pole, it's not worth it. They also tell me that the "good" channels are all digital anyway, and the best answer I have heard from them is: "We are already getting you for $65 a month for internet only, so the least we can do is give you analog" :)

granted supplies can become an issue, but he was not even in the ballpark about having a lifeline and getting the expanded free because it wasn't trapped. this guy is getting all of it free and after so long, he should have done the right thing and called and got legal or had it cut off and contacted a plant manager to follow up on this if it hadn't been done either way. I wonder how many times Charter may have done an amnesty program and he didn't take up on it, then again may never had been done? eventually an audit will be performed and it will be taken care of. most when doing an audit will announce an amnesty program first and then audit, if found in the audt, legal action is usually taken. also during the audit, everyone should be and usually are trapped out like they should be if the auditor does his/her job correctly. also if programmers wanted to come in and do a field audit, which they can, this could become an issue for the provider for not trapping out unwanted services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)