[CHARTER] Charter Cable Anyone?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SouthRider

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Covington, La
I am becoming so fed up with Dish that I am considering Charter Cable.

They are offering competitive pricing, and an HD DVR. There is however not much info on their web site about the equipment.

I would also have to give up the Voom channels, BUT would gain HD locals for New Orleans (which I get intermittently OTA since Katrina).

Does anyone have any feedback?

I have considered Charter and gave them a call to see what options/choices I had. They offer a great promotion called 3-for-all (phone, cable, dsl) for only $99... BUT, BUT they don't have any DVRs available.. They would have to put you on a waiting list if you signed up... I live in their home city of St Louis, and they are out of stock here... That should tell you something...

I have Dish too, for about 6 years now... I am staying with what I have: leasing a 301, 501, & 508 with AT180 for now... I will hang on for another year to see what Direct can deliver on their promise by then and then re-evaluate... You get the best deals if you are a "new customer" and I don't want to miss out on that opportunity by switching now and gaining very little (if any).... If I do anything with Dish now for upgrading, then I am stuck for another 18 months... so, month to month for me for now...

Charter Service

I only have their internet access and that's because AT&T (AKA SBC) does not provide DSL out to my residence yet. Considering that I probably average several hours on the internet a week, the number of disruptions is totally unacceptable. I cannot imagine EVER getting their "24 hour " phone service with their record of unrelialbe and unavailble service.

I have charter-ch 2-73 or 74 is analog-reception can be good but as analog it sucks (fuzzy). Above the analog channels-the reception is good (but did have a problem earlier-resolved by deleting an extra feed-increased the db gain and fixed the 4th tv-cudnt get anything above ch 101.).But now considering Dish .Charter only has 4-5 hd channels, and I only watched 1 or 2 on them (excluding Showtime and HBO-don't subscribe to movie channels). The 23 HD channels D* offers is more bang for the buck (excluding charter's internet pipeline), and all the top 180-which is digital (charter mostly analog and the quality mostly is bad). Digital is "good".
Well-i spoke my piece. If you can get the internet without charter(ie verzion here $30/mo 1.5 gig) with D* the combination is worthtwhile. Anyway-rumor has it Charter is being sold to parties unknown-maybe the purchaser will offer better content, more HD and the internet (and also phone services)

I have Charter HD Dvr (Moxi)... downside is its limited capacity and it is noisy (fan or hard drive). You cannot shut it off without unpluging it. Otherwise I love it...I had Dish for 5 years (6000) and compared the HD PQ from Discovery HD Theater and was satisfied. The upside for me was PBS HD and Music Choice.

I have Charter HDDVR (moxi) here in madison. I would give Charter a try if I were you. Besides their problems with Sinclair, their service is great. They are continually upgrading things, and here in Madison we are digital on all channels and the SD stations DO look nice. There are also more and more HD channels going up all the time. TNTHD, UniversalHD, HDNet, HDMovies, ESPNHD, all locals HD, Discovery HD, PBSHD, ShowtimeHD, CinemaxHD and HBOHD. Pretty good lineup I think. . .plus they are adding more as they can. . .LAST, you can get that Moxi box for FREE. . .no 500 dollars to spend upfront! also, my bill is 130 bucks/month(after taxes) for all premiums, HDDVR service and 3 MB/sec internet. Sat is 99.99 a month just for the premium package, then you have to add on mirroring fees, taxes, a phone line (we just use our cellphones) and dsl. I guarantee it will be the same or within 10 bucks a month. . .imagine adding 400 dollars at the start. . .that's another 20 bucks a month for 20 months and by that time you would want a new box with new technology anyways. . .

Add a note re my earlier post--charter advertizes HD NEt and HD Movies plus other.
For 2 yrs. I waited for them to kick in-never happened. Now Cebridge purchasing Charter (posted 2 days ago). Dont know anything about Cebridge (Couldnt get their web site to open up ). Point is-nothing will be improved till the pruchase is compelete (except specials for new subs).
I/m going for dish-18 mos and than see what happens??? Right now the bottom line is Dish plus Verzion DSL.

Andyman33 said:
I have Charter HDDVR (moxi) here in madison. I would give Charter a try if I were you. Besides their problems with Sinclair, their service is great. They are continually upgrading things, and here in Madison we are digital on all channels and the SD stations DO look nice. There are also more and more HD channels going up all the time. TNTHD, UniversalHD, HDNet, HDMovies, ESPNHD, all locals HD, Discovery HD, PBSHD, ShowtimeHD, CinemaxHD and HBOHD. Pretty good lineup I think. . .plus they are adding more as they can. . .LAST, you can get that Moxi box for FREE. . .no 500 dollars to spend upfront! also, my bill is 130 bucks/month(after taxes) for all premiums, HDDVR service and 3 MB/sec internet. Sat is 99.99 a month just for the premium package, then you have to add on mirroring fees, taxes, a phone line (we just use our cellphones) and dsl. I guarantee it will be the same or within 10 bucks a month. . .imagine adding 400 dollars at the start. . .that's another 20 bucks a month for 20 months and by that time you would want a new box with new technology anyways. . .

I have the same service here in Willmar,MN except Have the Moxi Mate- which gives you 2 rooms and a DVR/DVD player and double the space of the standard DVR(moxi). the picture quality is equal to Both D* and E*. (i have had both)

I pay 105/mo
and free install

How did you go about getting the MOXIMate? Did you just call about it? How did you know that they had them in your area?

Andyman33 said:
How did you go about getting the MOXIMate? Did you just call about it? How did you know that they had them in your area?

I got mine in Nov. I called about a problem with My Moxi and was talking to CSR about the Moximate and asked when charter would get them and the CSR told me that i can get one and that they just came out. So 2 days later the installer showed up and did the install.

I would just call them and find out if they have them in your area. I don't think they advertize that there avalible all the time.

Does anybody have Charter in the Metro Atlanta area? I Live in Stockbridge & I'm on D* right now & I was on E* for 3 years & I have just about had it. I do have a HDTV & the H-10 (Non DVD HDTV box) & there is no way in hell I'm paying that 500 screw-me charge that D* wants for a HD-DVR.

I'm wondiering if Charter in Atlanta is all digital & what is the box available for the HD-DVR service? Are there any analog channels that can be recieved without the box & what is there quality? TIA.

Charter

I have Charter now I live near Madison in the town of Oconomowoc,I also did the two year deal thing for internet and HD Moxi DVR, I had switched from Dish because of the offer. Have not ever really been happy with the PQ, have had techs out Just not as good even with the all digatal spec now, at the time I switched I still had both and while the tech was here I said Hay look at this and I was switching inputs from cable to sat on the same channel really was crap IMO, I stuck with it cause it was cheaper. On April 11, can't wait , I get dish back. going with VIP611 DVR, It is more money, BUT. The big differnces for me are. Moxi has no Ant. input for HD locals and does not provide all HD locals in our area, however did add FOX after football ended, thats nice. Has no HDMI connection, and the DVI only passes HD signal so you have to switch back and forth. Dish has much more HD programming, And to be honest I will get the HD gold package for 15 dollars less a month, but the 299.00 for the 611 was a stinger but hay whats that two monster cables. Ha Ha! Over all my experance with charter was positive I just think I want more, and better even if it costs more. Everybody wants to spend as little as they can, but if you don't want the best PQ and equipment as well as avaible channels, why are we chating on a internet site that discusses all these features? Just my two cents. Peace.

Thanks for the informative asnwer, budda. I had pretty much made up my mind to stick with D* (I was on CrappiaOne which became Comcrap years ago) as I was not not relishing the thought of going back to cable.

My pet theory is that D* got all "jiggy wit" the price of the HD DVR becasue they want people to stop buying the current one until they have somethng better. With the rumours of D* buying TiVo that theory just got a little stronger.

I called Charter Yesterday to see about switching to them from Directv. I got an offer in the mail stating that I could get their "Bigger Value Package" and 3mb internet for $79.95 a month. I am currently paying $82 a month for Directv, and $20.00 for 3mb SBC DSL, (AT&T).

I have two receivers, (one a DVR, and one a HD Receiver). I have the Total Choice plus with Directv with locals, High Def, and HBO. So the "Bigger Value" Package with Charter is comparable. I would get Cinemax as well, and I could chose one more package from them included in that $79 price. So I could take Starz, or a sports, or family package.

Anyway. After telling her that I have a cable modem that I own, so I don't need to rent that, we started adding up the "other costs". To get their HD package is $9.99 more a month. To get a HD receiver that is a DVR is another $11.00 a month. To get a second receiver for our second Television so that we can receive the digital channels on it, is $6.99 a month. So now I am paying $107.93 a month. That is a little different than $79.95 a month. So then I asked about taxes. She said that the taxes add roughly $10.00 a month. So $117.93 a month! I pay $102 a month with Satellite and DSL! And that rate is steady... this charter price will go up after a year to about $140.00 a month according to their website. The deal is they will lock you into another discounted rate for 12 months after this promotional 12 month rate. But it is not as good as their promotional rate, and you cannot qualify for another promotional rate. Their "discounted" 12 month rate after promotional rate is better than their regular month to month rate though. Although not by much.

Satellite and DSL is still the way to go. I pay less and have a much better picture quality with satellite.

However, when you are done w/ your 12 mo. promo, they will not allow you to enter another promo for 3 mos. -- the best deals w/ Charter is thru there retention dept, I have 1 DVR, all the channels they offer, HD, and another HD box, 3mb internet---only $110.00 / mo. thru retention dept. and that includes premiums. Also seems like CSR didn't tell you about the early termination fee as well....??!!?? But in my opinion, Charter is far better than DirecTV!!! By a mile!!!

charter free

I am now charter free. after many years with some form of service (internet for the last 5 years,I went back to dishnetwork for my hi def,and dsl became available so I bundled it with my sbc phone service and got a better deal. The final straw came when they would not honor the hd and internet package I was sposed to have for 18 mos. After only 12 mos. the bill went from 94$ to 124$.After numerous phone calls I was not able to convince them I still had 6 mos. at 94$.Don't get me wrong I loved the moxi dvr but by bundling everthing together I will save about 50$ a month and get more hi def channels to boot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts