Charter Spectrum Speed Increases

I just contacted Spectrum, and they also said our area (a little more North of you) also now has 100Mbps speeds. He is going to mail me a new modem, and I will be upgraded to the new speeds at NO monthly price increase ($64.99 internet-only (including free Epix) right now). That works fine for me!
Same here. I didn't need a new modem, however the first agent messed up my upgrade and i went from 50mbps to around 20. Got a 2nd agent who said everything was good on their end and showing i should have 100megs. Kept going thru the motions of unplugging, rebooting etc and finally they said it had to be my network interface card. :coco I said "well how come i had 50-55 megs before my upgrade and now i barely get 20"? She said it was my computer. :eeek Called and got a 3rd agent who looked at my file and said "yeah i see where the other 2 messed up. Let me clear their mess and reset everything". After 5 minutes with him i now have 100-118 megs . If at first you don't succeed......:biggrin

Same here. I didn't need a new modem, however the first agent messed up my upgrade and i went from 50mbps to around 20. Got a 2nd agent who said everything was good on their end and showing i should have 100megs. Kept going thru the motions of unplugging, rebooting etc and finally they said it had to be my network interface card. :coco I said "well how come i had 50-55 megs before my upgrade and now i barely get 20"? She said it was my computer. :eeek Called and got a 3rd agent who looked at my file and said "yeah i see where the other 2 messed up. Let me clear their mess and reset everything". After 5 minutes with him i now have 100-118 megs . If at first you don't succeed......:biggrin

What speed test site do you use? It turns out I didn't need a modem upgrade after all. I just re-contacted them during a chat, and they did something on their end. The Spectrum speed test site shows me now at: 105.4 down, and 11.2 up. Which agrees with my Netgear Nighthawk Qos test.

After an issue last week in losing almost ALL upload speed on two different services, I waited all day for it to correct, then called Charter. The "FUNNY" thing is....that the tech on the phone told me, "you're on a non supported tier."...to which I replied, "Yes, but sales will only sell me 60 down/3 up, (we were on 30/3) and charge my business $210 for it!" He countered with, "No, you can now GET 100 down/10 up and it only costs $40 more per month than what you have!"...This came after about 4 calls to their sales people trying hard to explain our need is UPload here to make sure streams stay running, not DOWNload which is fine already. Since that call, and their re-provisioning of the same modem, we've had steady good speeds. Too bad in Corporate America that somebody can't coordinate Sales and Tech to be on the same page more often. Wastes the clients' time and makes them want to leave the service! NIce to have the 100/10 now. I cannot imagine ANY family needing more than that for any reason...our business did pretty well on 30/6 (usually more like 30/3) for a long time.

Reactions: dennispap
Had some techs come out the other day and that is true they changed out my modem but the CSR I called told me they could increase my speed over the phone now that I have the upgraded modem but I would lose my $15. WiFi discount.

So I will wait till August 2018 to go up to 100MB/5MB service,unless they keep giving me discounts.

Well I could not take it anymore called up Charter Spectrum cable told them upgrade me!

Now my download is:114.6 MB
Upload is:11.4 MB
This was taken as my grandkids are watching an HDX movie on Vudu.:D
I googled and downloaded the internet rate schedule for Spectrum Internet for 2018.
Prices are 100/10MB-$69.99
300/20MB-$89.99
400/20MB-$89.99

If you take Charter Spectrum cable TV they give you $10. off the internet price.

Reactions: dennispap
Well I could not take it anymore called up Charter Spectrum cable told them upgrade me!

Now my download is:114.6 MB
Upload is:11.4 MB
This was taken as my grandkids are watching an HDX movie on Vudu.:D
I googled and downloaded the internet rate schedule for Spectrum Internet for 2018.
Prices are 100/10MB-$69.99
300/20MB-$89.99
400/20MB-$89.99

If you take Charter Spectrum cable TV they give you $10. off the internet price.

Charter Spectrum CSR told me(at my cable company store downtown) the 400/20MB is for business accounts,residential is the 300/20MB plan.

After I told Charter Spectrum (over the phone) to upgrade my speed in the morning,that same morning I got an email telling me my next bill would be $220. for the next month( no discounts),that's the cost of their Gold package with 2 DVRs with my internet.

Man you never saw an old disabled man move as fast as I did after that,I pulled out their DVRs,power supplies and remotes and I turned them back in at 4:00PM at the cable store that day,then I subscribed to YoutubeTV and Philo internet TV services,I estimate that I will save around $70. a month compared to keeping my cable TV programming and DVRs.:D

The Northeast (and perhaps other areas) received a nice speed boost last night.

Not sure about Standard, but Ultra is now 300 x 20.

I won't have these slow speeds for long. My Spectrum Gig gets installed Sunday afternoon. Could have had it tomorrow but I'll be living at work for the next few days.

We (both home and work) are located between Cincinnati and Dayton. The Cincinnati market has been bumped up for 1-2 months or longer, that is, the standard speed is 200 Mb/s and 400 Mb/s and 1 Gb/s are available. Here, 100 Mb/s is standard and 400 Mb/s is the top speed. If you saw a change, I suspect most areas will soon as well. Usually someone on the local Reddit posts about these changes but I didn't see anything. I may reboot our modem(s) to check....

I imagine eventually in time Charter's whole footprint its going to be 200 for Standard, 400 for Ultra and 940 for Gig. What's odd is my 120 was upgraded to 300, I believe I'd have to call in to get changed over to 400. But I'm not going to bother.

Oh, you're in one of those odd markets with 120 Mb/s as "standard" vs 100 Mb/s. I don't understand why Charter does that unless it's equipment-related.

Oh, you're in one of those odd markets with 120 Mb/s as "standard" vs 100 Mb/s. I don't understand why Charter does that unless it's equipment-related.

It was Ultra that was 120. My hunch is that Charter wanted to increase the standard starting speed to 100 throughout their entire footprint by the end of 2017. So in areas that were not ready for significantly higher speeds, they took Standard from 60 to 100, and Ultra from 100 to 120 just to do something on a interim basis, so Standard and Ultra wouldn't be the same speed, because then what would the point of Ultra be. And it would give them time to do node splits, upgrade CMTS units, deploy 24 downstream channels, launch D3.1. 120 was just used as a placeholder until that work was completed.

In my area its currently
Standard - 100 x 10 for $65 or $55 w/TV
Ultra - 400 x 20 for $90 or $80 w/TV
Gig - 940 x 35 for $125 or $115 /TV

While a touch slower then my result above, that was while the modem was directly connected to my PC. My router could not support WAN speeds over 600 Mbps. I could have cried to the NYS AG and told them how big bad Spectrum was ripping me off and hope for Prince Andy to fly in and save the day by throwing them out of the state. Or I could have upgraded to a better router. I chose option #2.

can you get 100 mbps wirelessly?

I got 370 Mb down this morning according to the app on my Pixel 2 XL. Not sure how much stock I'd put into that though considering the upload is above 42, which I think is higher then Spectrum provisions the upload at. 35 Mb X the standard over-provision of 20% would be an even 42 Mbps.

Wireless speeds aren't that important to me, all of my devices are hardwired when possible. I got almost 600 Mb down testing wirelessly on my work Dell Precision. My personal HP Envy 3D, which will be turning 7 years old next month tops out around 300-350 on the 5 Ghz band.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180821-081235.png
    Screenshot_20180821-081235.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 282
Spectrum increased my internet speed from 100 Mbps to 200 Mbps. To get the increased speed I had to change my purchased Surfboard SB6141 modem to a Hitron Docsis 3.1 EN2251 modem. I miss the ability to log into the new Hitron modem since Spectrum has locked out customers. I was surprised to see that my two Hopper3 Receivers which are hard wired to my Gigabit home network have a Gigabit network card and both show the improved download speed of 219 Mbps. That surprises me since both my Sony TV’s only have 10/100 Mbps wired access. Thus to get the higher speed on my TV’s I would need to go wireless. Of course there is no reason to have a higher speed than 100 Mbps on my TV’s so I will leave them wired.

IMG_0356.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys