Chase Carey calls VoOm "crap"...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sixteenbynine

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
In the desert of the real
I have a source who was there yesterday when Chase Carey, (President and CEO of D*) visited one of the call centers and gave a speech and took questions. I will post an in-depth recap of it tonight (hopefully, if I have time). I can't do it right now, but here's one preview--Chase was asked about new national HD channels--he said that TNTHD was a possibility, maybe this year, but other than that, he basically said that there isn't much HD content available. He said, and I quote, "I've seen that VoOm crap" and called it "looking at a pretty picture of nothing". He defended HD locals by saying that people want programs like CSI, Law & Order, Desperate Housewives, etc. in HD, so HD locals are the focus for now. Hopefully by the time the next 2 sats are up and are able to provide more national HD, there will be more content available.

Anyway, I've gotta go now...
Tonight, I can give you the full recap of his speech/QnA

sixteenbynine said:
He said, and I quote, "I've seen that VoOm crap" and called it "looking at a pretty picture of nothing".
Not exactly newsworthy - most of us knew that already. :hatsoff:

I guess MHD, NGHD, StarzHD, OLNHD, INHD1, INHD2, are all crap as well.

Or maybe the fact that all his HD 1080i channels are HD Lite (1280x1080i) is also crap? I can't take more of this crap. :D :D :D

Funny that he called TNT HD the only channel worth having compelling programming.

TNT HD movies repeat like diarrhea every month. Same movies and 85% of them are not even HD! The ones that HD are all cropped like HELL. Their programming guide says all their programs are HD which is another screw job since TNT HD cannot get their act together and they have been on the air for almost 3 years :eek: About the only thing that is good on TNT HD is their Thursdays basketball games which not everyone is interested on it :eek: It seems like he knows the channel so well yet failed to recognize all the UPCONVERT MOVIES THAT TNT HD HAS. :eek: (One of you guys should get his job!!!!!) What a crap? :D :D :D

Sean Mota said:
I guess MHD, NGHD, StarzHD, OLNHD, INHD1, INHD2, are all crap as well.

Or maybe the fact that all his HD 1080i channels are HD Lite (1280x1080i) is also crap? I can't take more of this crap. :D :D :D

Funny that he called TNT HD the only channel worth having compelling programming.

TNT HD movies repeat like diarrhea every month. Same movies and 85% of them are not even HD! The ones that HD are all cropped like HELL. Their programming guide says all their programs are HD which is another screw job since TNT HD cannot get their act together and they have been on the air for almost 3 years :eek: About the only thing that is good on TNT HD is their Thursdays basketball games which not everyone is interested on it :eek: It seems like he knows the channel so well yet failed to recognize all the UPCONVERT MOVIES THAT TNT HD HAS. :eek: (One of you guys should get his job!!!!!) What a crap? :D :D :D
Well said.

sixteenbynine said:
I have a source who was there yesterday when Chase Carey, (President and CEO of D*) visited one of the call centers and gave a speech and took questions.
He said, and I quote, "I've seen that VoOm crap" and called it "looking at a pretty picture of nothing".

Chase Carey can't see his own crap. Yeah, I know his HD crap smells very good:)

Sean Mota said:
About the only thing that is good on TNT HD is their Thursdays basketball games which not everyone is interested on it
NASCAR!

I swear I would take all of you non-NASCAR fans to a race if I could. It might just change ;) your mind.

Re Nascar

NASCAR rocks live. I go to Loudon every year..and since we are on the subject its is a crappy race..not much passing not much action actually...but the event rocks. Maybe its the fact that when I go to a race, I look around and think..hmm for a fat, bald guy I look pretty damn good next to these other fans.

The only thing I would watch on TNT HD is NASCAR...well for only one lap...thats all Ryan Newman is good for.

Sean what is MHD?

Of those you listed I would like Starz and iNHD, which I think even DirecTV agrees they want, but they, nor I, agree with the iNHD stongarm pricing tactics.

BUT he is correct in saying of what they can jump right into, there really isn't that much "must have".

OH, LOL, I would have never got that, thanks. I would have thought it would be Mtv-HD Yep I can do without that one too.

From thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=53860&page=2

Current HD Broadcasters

Cinemax HD (no 1st run movies, or original series)
Comcast SportsNet (cable owned/excl right?)
Discovery HD Theater (have)
ESPN HD (have)
ESPN2 HD (have)
Food Network HD (why? are you kidding)
Fox HD (coming)
HGTV HD (not as bad as FoodTV, but why? are you kidding)
HBO HDTV (have, 1st runs and original series)
HDNet (have)
HDNet Movies (have)
INHD 1/2 (cable owned/excl)
The Movie Channel HD (no 1st run movies or original series)
MSG Network (cable owned/excl right?)
Mtv-HD (not as bad as FoodTV, but why? are you kidding? they do have some originals but none HD worthy)
National Geographic Channel HD (not as bad as FoodTV, but why? are you kidding)
NBA HD (have some, need the full NBA schedule that's not on other outlets)
NFL HD (have)
OLN HD (ok, this is a decent maybe)
Showtime HDTV (have, 1st runs and original series)
Starz HD (ok, this is a decent maybe)
TNT-HD (ok, this is a decent maybe thanks to NBA HD, some originals)
Universal HD (have)
Voom HD package (a few maybes in the pack, but too many reruns and no 1st runs)
WealthTV HD (why? are you kidding)

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Sean what is MHD?

Of those you listed I would like Starz and iNHD, which I think even DirecTV agrees they want, but they, nor I, agree with the iNHD stongarm pricing tactics.

BUT he is correct in saying of what they can jump right into, there really isn't that much "must have".
This kind of thinking by D* is one of the reasons why I am going to terminate my subscription with D* after subscribing to their TC+ with HD service for over three years. Not only are they not providing the subscribers with various new HD stations but I believe also that from what I have been reading on the various forums is that the quality of their new HD & HD-DVR receivers seems to have problems as well. IMO I think since R. M. and his NewsCorp company has taken control of D* it has become a 2nd rate company.

Funny, how he keep saying "we will wait until enough content is available"! If Im not mistaking there are at least 25 other available HD channels (this includes Voom). The more important things is not whether or not its crappy but the fact that you give your customers "what THEY want" not because you don't feel its worthy to be acceptable. Funny how they can talk bad about another companies programming when you fail to remember you have at least 30 PPV channels that are worthless, another 10 FreeView channels that are worthless, about 10 Home Shopping Networks that are worthless and a pretty pathetic HD line up! What a hypocrite! BTW, someone should shot that monkey that thinks CD USA 1 hour HD broadcast is revolutionary! I would pay more per month to the "THE BOX" than this piece of _____!

Last edited:
A lot of free view / church / shopping / "human interest" channels are mandated by law as must carry or some crap like that. Based on a percentage vs the total of the other programming.

AND to be the devil's advocate you bust his chops for not adding channels based on his/their feelings, but you want them to add it based on your's / or the handfull of 700k HD subs. Remember their primary concern is running a company with 15+ million subs and pleasing the masses. Right now we HD lovers are not the masses. Right now the research shows people prefer or want their local network affiliates in HD, they want DBS to have a viable choice on that front, thus DirecTV is going that way 1st. BUT YES, I agree they should toss us a bone of 2 or 3 nation HDs, but these things are not as black and white (have or dont have) as you guys try to make it out.

Last edited:
Charper1, you're incorrect about Cinemax-HD not having any first run movies. Lately they've had some movies on before HBO-HD had them, not a lot but a few.

But were they the premier of that movie on pay TV? Was it a bona-fide hit or a "direct to video" release?

Say "Napoleon Dynamite" plays for 2 months on Starz! then a month later it hit Cinemax before HBO. It was a "1st run movie" on Starz! , but not on Cinemax.

What named 1st runs have I missed on Cinemax; I try my best to scan their website and Zap2it or TitanTV every week to check on something good.

Catwoman, The Jacket and Collateral are all great movies on MAX right now, but are they premiering here as a 1st run or just premiering on MAX?

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts