Chase Carey calls VoOm "crap"...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
T2k said:
Ummm on Voom we have movies, even themed movie channels in HD, sports in HD, you know... uh, sorry, you don't know. :D Programming was pretty lame during the last 6 months, we all said that but it's still better than nothing on DirecTV.
It's kinda funny, as the oth3er poster said, that some DirecTV customers actually enjoy being taking it into the @ss, moreover they are proud of it...

Here's a new slogan for DirecTV;

"DirecTV HD: BOGUTI - bend over, grease up and take it!"

I'm sure having HD locals are great, of course - I have plenty of OTA HD too. For free and it dopes't come before my Vooms or HDNets. :D

i wouldn't know about taking it up the *ss by my signal provider. you would be the expert being one of ergens victims. please explain it to us?!

sixteenbynine said:
I would love to challenge some of these crybabies to an eye exam. I bet they can't even SEE the $h!t they're crying about!
I am not a big bitcher about resolution. I understand D* has bandwidth issues and I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until they get it all moved over to MEPG-4.

As for not being able to see the difference. Yes you can! I have both D* and E*'s HD packages (As previously mentioned the need for TNT-HD) and switching back and forth between them you can see that D*'s picture is somewhat softer. It is still very good, but does not have the POP that E*'s does. (It has been a couple of months since I compared them, so things may have changed.). I also have the 4 DNS feeds, and although NBC is about the same, neither the FOX or ABC D* feeds come anywhere close to my OTA feeds.

And I shall pose a question to those who think we HD subs are insignificant: How many TC or TC+ subs can call retention, threaten to leave and walk with a $250 credit just because we decided we want to own an HR10-250. And call back 6 month later and get another one because we want a second HR10-250. It happens and is well documented over at TCF.

We may be small in numbers, but I all bet D* doesn't want to lose us, and especially not to E*.

As for compelling content: Please. Can you imagine how many people would go ballistic and call D* if they dropped the SD versions of :TNT, HGTV(3/2006), National Geographic (1Q), History Channel (2Q), FOOD (2Q), MTV, the RSN's plus any number of mainstream SD channels that will soon also have an HD version. And don't forget the movie channels: Starz, MAX and TMC. If it is compelling in SD, you can be pretty much assured it is compelling in HD. Don't know how many people would pay $12/mo (D* rate for a movie channel) for the V* channels in SD.

T2k said:
Here's a new slogan for DirecTV;

"DirecTV HD: BOGUTI - bend over, grease up and take it!"

I prefer
"DirecTV: Somebody up there loves you (in an inappropriate fashion.. like your uncle.)"

This may not be the "50's" but ill compare my picture from my aerial against either

of them any day. Verizon has been rolling out Fiber to the home in our area over

the past few months, so both E and D will be chasing more than each other very

soon.

NiFi said:
This may not be the "50's" but ill compare my picture from my aerial against either of them any day. Verizon has been rolling out Fiber to the home in our area over the past few months, so both E and D will be chasing more than each other very soon.

I was looking on their web site earlier, and see they are only in 3 areas of the country. At that rate looks like it will take them a while to get all round the country. I couldn't find what areas they are going to expand to.

What is it that makes you think they are going to make them so much better than any other cable company or satellite? I see they are using fiber optic, but many cable companies use that also.

and they are only in the areas that have DSL. that excludes a great section of america. DBS will always be around in huge numbers.

Satmeister said:
Weather, moisture, altitude, localized equipment, and other factors can contribute to variations in bitrate readings. Those are ALL specific to location - the PRECISE PHYSICAL location of where readings are taken. There can also be up to a 3% variance in measurement equipment when not calibrated after each sampling. Any IEEE engineer can confirm this for you, sir. Your apparent "denial" of these FACTS does not make YOU look very good, yet you posted them. Touche.

You are confusing the whole issue of equipment calibration with a simple TSREADER card that reads bitrates and resolution of HD channels. There are some people that have such devices on this board and can testify that those cards are not affected by "the factors that you are specifiying". This leads me to believe that you have very knowledge of what I am talking about. This math is simple and uncorrupted by weather factors or locations. It is what it is -- no secrets.

Satmeister said:
The idea was not to get into a pissing contest, rather, we can have a technical discussion or a business discusion on this topic - some seem to want to selectively muddy the water and mix the two together when convenient and/or to confuse people. I prefer not to get too technical, as I am a certified IEEE engineer, and know how our "techy" talk really turns people off. It also happens to be one of the biggest complaints people have about HDTV in general - its too "techy" for them and appears complicated.

Who is getting to a pissing contest. You are expressing your opinitions and we are expressing ours with some real facts about the state of HDTV on DirecTv. Some do not like to look at these and assimilate them but they are facts.

Satmeister said:
It's beyond disappointing to here the back and forth bantoring about how one group is foolish because they enjoy something. Based on a number of other posts here, I am not alone in the disgust.

We are not saying to stop enjoying it. We are merely pointing out that it is not what you are trying to say it is. It is sub-standard HDTV. No more. If you enjoy that stuff, continue it watching it. But that does not fix the problem that DirecTv still is given us sub-standard HDTV.

Satmeister said:
Is HD perfect - heck no. We're on our 5th generation of HD equipment, and will probably see many more.

Again you are confusing hardware with a perfect signal of HDTV that comes from the source and is intentionally made substandard by DirecTv. We are not talking about HD hardware.

Satmeister said:
I can also assure you that the delivery of an HD broadcast signal is NOT a science (yet), despite HD's overall age in existance (digital TV to be more precise).

The delivery of any terrestrial or satellite signal is a science. One which can get have very complicated mathematical equations. Especially when you are working with Harmonic Encoders. Those babies requires the engineers to know their stuff otherwise me and you would not have HDTV today.

Satmeister said:
What's very disappointing is the same old handfull of character assassins with hundreds of posts attacking and attacking like pitbulls in heat.

I thought that this was a free forum. Look at how this thread started -- with an ATTACK and reason why DirecTv is not taking a stand on HDTV. Is it so bad that some us do not believe the statement. Do we have to believe it? no sir.

Satmeister said:
I came here to learn, share, and to observe new information. I don't think anyone is a lessor human because of the choices they make on HDTV. Apparently, some posters here can't live with that same moral standard. So I'll just watch this continuing comedy for a while, I guess, and see the bullies take this board over like they have at other sites. Good luck and good night. :river

and no one is. You are taking it the wrong way. You made various remarks which are quite wrong and we try to inform you about the correct information. Yet you accused us of bulling you. We all come here to learn and we can learn from each other. But there is a limit where the conversation can't go anywhere sometimes. Let's put the Facts on the table and let's agree on them.

All I’m saying is just look at the great picture and enjoy it and quit analyzing the bitrate and creating so much drama... HDTV looks great right now and it will continue to improve and get even better but Jesus Christ give it a minute. It takes time to put up satellites, pull fiber, or whatever. Technology is advancing at an incredible rate. We are so lucky to be living in such an exciting time. Some of you are just acting like spoiled brats. There are new devices & technology every year and yet you can’t get enough, all you can do is cry about how everything isn’t exactly the way you want it right NOW. Maybe a little PERSPECTIVE is in order....

sixteenbynine said:
All I’m saying is just look at the great picture and enjoy it and quit analyzing the bitrate and creating so much drama... HDTV looks great right now and it will continue to improve and get even better but Jesus Christ give it a minute. It takes time to put up satellites, pull fiber, or whatever. Technology is advancing at an incredible rate. We are so lucky to be living in such an exciting time. Some of you are just acting like spoiled brats. There are new devices & technology every year and yet you can’t get enough, all you can do is cry about how everything isn’t exactly the way you want it right NOW. Maybe a little PERSPECTIVE is in order....

Unfortunately this is the same attitude that will never fix anything. I try to educate you and not with my own judgment or words but I provided pictures and data to you yet you choose to look the other way. That's fine with me no problem. It is your loss not mine. Enjoy it and hopefully you will not look back and regret what happened to your pretty picture. If history serves you correctly, the SD picture used to look pristine also until one day when the same started happening. Not worthy of my time to continue this conversation. Go back and be happy with the HD LITE. :eek:

satmeister,

do you have the time or the need to sit around with "a bit rate analizer"

some one needs to get a life!

dragon002 said:
and they are only in the areas that have DSL. that excludes a great section of america. DBS will always be around in huge numbers.

Incorrect, verizon throughout the buffalo area is actually selling off their copper lines to help fund Fiber throught ALL, not just like dsl, fiber has enough bandwith to carry your phone, and televison with more bandwith than dtv and dish can dream about.

Herd/Sean thats the problem. This wasnt a discussion on whether or not HD Lite is good or bad. This discussion was about Chase calling VOOM crap.

VOOM is shown in HD Lite. Read the VOOM threads and usually they are the same as the D* threads. Everyone moans about about VOOMS quality and how they wish for the good old days when VOOM was shown in true HD. Oh and by the way there seem to be the same people who say to the VOOMERs oh dont complain its better than D*. Look through the threads Im not wrong.

If youre saying that HD lite is bad we agree ..we all agree. However whats your solution? Is it a letter writing campaign? Should we picket? Should we all switch to Dish Network with VOOM which is still HD lite? Is that the solution? Everyone from D* switches to E* and everyone from E* switches to D*!!!

Im all for doing something productive as I type this right this moment my HD pic on one of my locals went blank with a sound interuption. It drives me nuts.
I have one of the best TVs out there and every time I think about the fact that Im not getting the most out of it makea me wanna puke!

Im all for doing something. I saw a couple of threads talkng about writing to the FTC..great lets stir things up. As for threatening to walk...Im all for it..but where am I walking to. The other providers dont offer much of an upgrade.

As for D* ..dont you really think they are working as fast as they can to get national HD channels to their customers? If they did they would own the HD market! Its in their best interest to get things going ASAP.

So Herd/Sean...what is your solution?

Last edited:
At least acknowledge the problem... Read the a few threads back and some of you sound like there is no problem. At least recognize that there is a problem. Someone reading some of these posts will think that they will get glorious 1920x1080i HDTV on their set and they will not. A good start --- recognize that there is a problem at least. I am not telling you that I have all the answers. I am trying to make you understand that some of you are not correct when you say that there's no problem with the 1080i HD channels on DirecTv.

Just answering your question... Nothing more.

Sean Mota said:
Unfortunately this is the same attitude that will never fix anything. I try to educate you and not with my own judgment or words but I provided pictures and data to you yet you choose to look the other way. That's fine with me no problem. It is your loss not mine. Enjoy it and hopefully you will not look back and regret what happened to your pretty picture. If history serves you correctly, the SD picture used to look pristine also until one day when the same started happening. Not worthy of my time to continue this conversation. Go back and be happy with the HD LITE. :eek:

Great post.

Also I can understand if somebody never seen any other HD than DirecTV - it's obvious he'll think that's the best because it's still superior to SD.

But I cannot take when somebody is claiming it in a comparison to Dish or OTA.

PS: I'm working for a media company, so I do know how an "uncompressed" (of course it's not :), aquisition codecs are already in effect, though MUCH better quality - think about hundred megabit and higher bitrate) HD looks like... now THAT IS NICE.:D
There's a reason we, ex-Voomers keep saying Voom DBS had the best quality service. Apart from the obviously better programming, we also went to Vooom for its legendary quality... and unless Dish doesn't change the terms after Feb 1 w/ MPEG4, it's likely to remain true for this year or even further down the line... this is the problem.

I was going to stay out of this as this thread has gone south with people proving their points and going back and forth. I will give my two cents on this.

I'm not nuts about getting a new channel here or there but I do want them and expect them from any TV provider. With that said what bothers me more is how these CEOs always think they know best when the truth is they are always way off in la la land and they never truely listen to customers. The comment by Chase Carey was just bad as it shows how this company views their customers. That view is they are stupid and don't know any better and its that attitude that has always killed the cable companies and still does to this day. What Chase Carey thinks is crap someone else might think is great. This whole issue isn't about if the channel is or isn't crap its about this company telling "us" the customers that "it is" crap. Hey I bet Murdock is a rightwing guy so maybe he shouldn't offer any channels that might be un Christian because he knows what is best for "us" customers. The fact is that maybe it isn't his job to tell us what we want to watch and what we don't want to watch. The problem is the attitude towards customers and again this is exactly why customers are just craving for Verizon to get in their area with video because when you have real choice that tends to change what companies think is "right" for their customers.

Right now cable companies tell us we don't need faster internet speeds. Cable companies tell us we don't need an all digital lineup. DirecTV ditches Tivo because we the customer will be better off with a non Tivo box. DirecTV offers HDLite because they feel "we" won't notice a difference. Cable companies keep saying they are happy with their HD offerings while "we" the customer aren't happy with our HD offerings.

This shows that they don't listen to "their" customers as they would know this is complete and utter bullcrap. I understand bandwidth or lack of it or an HD network playing hardball but these issues are far and few compared to the above stuff. This even applies to SD only customers.

Maybe this issue with Chase Carey got lost and people missed the point in all of this. The point is that we should fight and stand up and yell in their faces that its not about what your happy with Chase Carey its about what us 700K customers feel. We must yell at Chase Carey and say to him that we don't give a rats ass what you think is good content or value because its what matters to me that counts. I understand that one customer isn't enough to offer a channel but I bet that at least 30% of HD customers with DirecTV would like a few more premium movie HD channels such as Starz HD and Cinemax HD.

Hey I know a person who could care less about football so what if he was in the same position as Chase Carey. So this person would say that NFL Sunday Ticket games in HDTV are a waste of bandwidth because football sucks but we can add 15 HD channels every sunday to cover the various church events. Well a good company who has bandwidth would cater to both offerings as some might like the NFL and not the church while others would like the church and not the NFL, some would like both while the rest could care less about either of them. Does that mean both these services are crap or does it mean that both services cater to a different segment of your customers. I would love the Voom channels as I love the music, movies and sports from around the country so I don't consider them crap at all but that isn't to say that some of the channel show crap often from time to time. I think both the InHD and HDnet channels show a lot of crap quite often but they are well worth the money I pay because when they show stuff that does interest me it is just great.

To me if I was with DirecTV right now that would be a big red flag for me if I was considering my future with said company. That comment alone would have made me switch to my cable company right away if I wasn't switched as I am.

Again to sum this up this issue isn't about specific channels value and/or content but about the views of the company towards its customers.

Great post LonghornXP. I found it just a bit shocking that CC would even say anything such as "Voom is crap". If he truly made these remarks, and they were made at a call center where you've got CSRs who undoubtedly will repeat what they've been told by the boss, it blows me away. It's unbelievable to me that the CEO of DirecTV would have even made the remark but I have no basis to dis-trust what sixteenbynine has reported, that's why I hope he presents the rest of the incident as he mentioned that he would.

The remark from Carey makes him sound like a pissy little child who since he can't put Voom up anyways, due to whatever the reason(s), it's suddenly "crap", and something that nobody wants anyway. Could he be anymore arrogant..?

In a local forum(SF) the local PBS station reported to the forum members that DirecTV had no interest in carrying PBS-HD stations, even if they were offered for free to DirecTV!!

I've had DirecTV for years, and like everyone else, have seen the decline in PQ, the sloooow HD channel addition and the promises of better things to come.

The remarks by Carey, along with all the stuff mentioned above, the fact that he said TNT-HD would maybe be the only new channel addition this year, I don't need local HD channels and the ridiculous price of Sunday Ticket, has pretty much broke this camel's back. There is no way I'm spending anymore money with DirecTV until things change radically from the current course.

dragon002 said:
directv claims an average of $68.00 per sub times 14.3 MILLION

take the HD subs at $110 per times 700,000

what crack are you smoking? you HD subs are a very minor blip, nothing more!

sd subs are 972 million per MONTH HD subs are 7.7 million per month.

per year? SD is 11.67 BILLION $, HD is 92 MILLION $

what would you do, follow your course? or follow the VoOm course?

Not to pick nits, but the numbers are off a bit due to an incorrect decimal placed in the 7.7 (instead of 77) - although the point remains the same. Best case scenario for HD subs according to D*'s max. estimate of 800,000 HD subs is that they represent 5.3% of subs, translating to possibly 9% of revenue ($1 Billion vs. $11 Billion) assuming $110 for an HD sub and $65.63 for an SD sub - 15 million total subs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.