Chase Carey Leaving DirecTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This is not good news.....I am concerned we may be on a downhill path :mad:

Edit

The rumor this afternoon in some financial circles....... is that AT&T may be in the wings ready to do a deal. This could explain a lot

Last edited:
This is not good news.....I am concerned we may be on a downhill path :mad:

Edit

The rumor this afternoon in some financial circles....... is that AT&T may be in the wings ready to do a deal. This could explain a lot

Maybe AT&T will hire Chase at that point !
Seeing this way he would no longer be tied to Malone and his contract.

I saw that this morning. Looks like it is going to happen.

Well it's official now, from The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - Chase Carey Departs DIRECTV to Accept New Post at News Corporation; Search for Successor Is Underway

"The DIRECTV Group announced today that President and CEO Chase Carey has informed the Board of Directors that he is resigning from the Company, effective July 1, 2009, to accept a new position at News Corporation. The DIRECTV board has accepted his resignation and has formed a committee of directors tasked with searching for a new President and Chief Executive Officer. In the interim, Larry Hunter will act as Chief Executive Officer in addition to his current responsibilities of Executive Vice President of Legal, HR, and Administration. "

I hope this isn't bad news for D.:( if this move will facilitate the selling of D then so be it. i hate the way malone is running things anyway. as long as the the people buying D are better than malone, i'm good.

I hope this isn't bad news for D.:( if this move will facilitate the selling of D then so be it. i hate the way malone is running things anyway. as long as the the people buying D are better than malone, i'm good.

No telling if AT&T were to buy them things would be better or worse ....

No telling if AT&T were to buy them things would be better or worse ....

I think AT&T would add some HD. They have agreemenst with U-Verse already for some of these channels we want, so it shouldn't be hard to negotiate it for D*. They want to be a player in the TV service game and give cable a run for their money, so I think they will be aggressive. The only thing that worries me is the customer service aspect, but the last few dealings I have had with AT&T have been pleasant.

Here is the full press release.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jun 03, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The DIRECTV Group announced today that President and CEO Chase Carey has informed the Board of Directors that he is resigning from the Company, effective July 1, 2009, to accept a new position at News Corporation. The DIRECTV board has accepted his resignation and has formed a committee of directors tasked with searching for a new President and Chief Executive Officer. In the interim, Larry Hunter will act as Chief Executive Officer in addition to his current responsibilities of Executive Vice President of Legal, HR, and Administration.

"The past six years have been a phenomenal experience and I am extremely proud of the business we have built," Carey said. "The credit goes to an extraordinary senior management and overall employee base that has combined passion, energy and unique abilities to establish DIRECTV as the premier television service. It is a management team second to none. I would also like to thank the Board of Directors for their support, guidance and contributions, which made our achievements possible. DIRECTV is in a great place with a tremendously exciting future ahead of it."

Under Carey's leadership, DIRECTV's subscriber count grew from 12 million to more than 18 million customers in the United States, while growing free cash flow from break-even in 2003 to $1.7 billion last year. His other achievements include the execution of an HD strategy that leapfrogged the competition, the implementation of tougher credit policies to improve subscriber value and a concerted effort to improve customer service throughout the company. In 2004, Carey oversaw the rationalization of the Latin America business after it emerged from bankruptcy and went on to grow from 1.5 million subscribers to 5.8 million subscribers today, becoming the largest pay-TV operator in Latin America.

"The board wishes Chase the very best in his new position. Under his remarkable leadership, DIRECTV's results have been consistently strong and his achievements will leave a lasting impression on the Company," said John Malone, Chairman of DIRECTV Group. "While we will certainly miss Chase, we are confident in DIRECTV's future with a seasoned executive team in place."

About DIRECTV Group

The DIRECTV Group (NASDAQ: DTV) is a world-leading provider of digital television entertainment services. Through its subsidiaries and affiliated companies in the United States, Brazil, Mexico and other countries in Latin America, the DIRECTV Group provides digital television service to more than 18 million customers in the United States and about 5.8 million customers in Latin America.

SOURCE: DIRECTV Group

DIRECTV
Darris Gringeri, 212-205-0882

Copyright Business Wire 2009

I hate to say this, but AT&T might benefit from buying DirecTV and renaming it to use the AT&T name for ubiquity. It could really help their entrance into the TV market, which has been slowed by a painfully slow Uverse deployment.

I hate to say it, but AT&T SUCKS! Their Uverse was known for over-compression of the HD programming. They have done nothing but screwed up what once was great PacBell DSL service. It is now slower than ever, and constantly losing one feature after another. Their cell phone service is amongst the worse. We had to change our 24 hour tech support cell phone service to Verizon as AT&T consistantly dropped calls or couldn't even pick them up. AT&T is working on becoming the giant useless corporation it was when the Feds broke them up years ago. I hope they do not end up as owners of D*, which I went with to avoid their Uverse, my only option besides Time Warner cable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)