Cheap Spekaer Wire

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

directvfreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm looking for some cheap speaker wire to use for some speakers. I heard that you could use lamp cord and get fairly good results. I went down to Home Depot and couldn't believe the price! It was 29 cents afoot for 16 gauge lamp cord and 27 cents a foot for 16 gauge speaker cable. Over $1 for 4 feet! Ridiculous. Any other cheap alternatives. I need about 200 feet of cable because I'm setting up a zone 2 from my A/V receiver and I need about 80 feet of wire per speaker but I figure I'll get extra in case of any obstacles.

Thanks

I would recommend using 14AWG or even as large as 12 AWG for an 80' run. The amp in your tuner would thank you for it; I have a 2nd zone set up outside about 80 or 90' just as you are doing and I really have to crank the volume up MUCH higher than with the speakers with only 2' runs. The larger the pipe (ie: speaker wire) the more power gets to the speaker = less work for the amp. By the way; Don't forget to turn zone 2 off when you go to watch a movie on the main system. My other half was none to happy in bed when the speakers just outside the door came on kinda loud... :eek:

I use the low voltage outdoor lighting wire...its ugly but its cheap. Get it in the the outdoor lighting area at your favorite home center. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)