Cheaper is better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I had bought a Sanyo 32 LCD tv in May for $697, after fighting to get it to work right I came across a Vizio 32 LCD for $592 at Sams Club and got it, talk about a huge difference.

The Sanyo had only 1 hdmi even though its advertised with 2, aspect ratio's 2 and 3 were the same, I couldnt get it to work with my computer either.

The Vizio has 2 hdmi ports, an rgb port, 2 componant ports, standar rca, coaxial port, digital audio, and audio out plus another rca svideo input and a qam tuner and the best of all its 1080i.

Pictures great and blows away the sanyo all the way, set up was cake and it took a total of 20 seconds to get started, all in all for a cheaper price I got a much better deal on a cheaper tv.

I had the same experience when I went looking for a 26" LCD for my bedroom. I had a 10% off coupon for Circuit City from my Entertainment Book by the way. So when I moved from Florida to New Hampshire I got a new TV set once I got an apartment. So I was looking for a 26" widescreen HD LCD TV set under 700 bucks and my local Circuit City had three models in that price range. They had a Magnovox, Polaroid and and another model I cannot remember now. First all of these models except the Polaroid model just looked bad on the demo unit and I mean just really bad. The two models only had component inputs. No HDMI input, VGA input or anything like that. They both had 1280x720p resolution with 20ms response times. One set had a 500:1 contrast ratio while the other had 700:1 ratio. Both models were prices at 699.99. They also had five other models priced between 700-900 bucks that also looked just as bad with the same type of horrid specs like no HDMI etc. So I had this little unknown TV brand called Polaroid (I knew this brand very well just not for TV sets) and it was the only model that looked good but I didn't have my hopes up that it would have the inputs and specs etc.

Well to my surprise this set had one HDMI input with HDCP support. It also had two component inputs along with a VGA computer input to boot. It also has several S-Video and composite inputs as well. It unlike all the other models has both an NTSC "and" an ATSC input built into it. This set has a 1,000:1 contrast ratio, 1366x768p resolution along with a 6ms response time. My only problem was that this model was on sale and as such my coupon said not valid on sale items. So I asked for a manager and told him I'm looking at buying this set today but I won't buy it unless I get the 10% off. I also told him I won't buy these other models as they look horrid and don't have any specs at all. I told him without the discount I would shop around and buy something else online. I said all of this nicely but I did tell him I'm telling you this because I know what I want and I'd rather not waste your time nor mine. So he tells me no problem I'll accept the coupon and I said thanks and asked if I could get the number or a means to contact his boss and tell him that he is the sole reason why I'm now a Circuit City customer now. I can also say that any item I've needed I've bought only at his Circuit City and I've said hi many times to him too.

Oh and he told me he got one heck of a review and a raise from his boss because of my letter so he has been very nice to me ever since that time. Oh and I've had this set for almost two years now without one regret and the set has had great picture quality with everything working just great. No bad pixels or anything like that. I'm also quite impressed with my friends Sanyo 37" LCD set from Walmart so I'd say that cheaper in my case and yours has been better. I gotta say that the only models that looked very good and had good specs were the Sony and Samsung models but both of them had a price tag of 999.99.

Sorry for such a long post guys and gals but I felt the original poster had one heck of a great post that many users here can benefit from because IMO this poster is 100% correct that cheaper is indeed better in some cases. Very very good post my friend.:up

I'm really not fond of anything sanyo. Vizio seems to be making a good middle of the road HDTV for a very good price.

Idealy I would have liked a Sony 42 inch but thats for another time so I had to bargain shop and seeing as I get a %10 discount from work I thought that the Sanyo vizzion or what ever it is was a good deal for being under $700. The kicker of this whole deal is that Walmart sells the same Vizio that I got from Sams but at a higher price.

Another thing that I have to recommend anyone who is shopping for electronics do is double check the specks at the store versus that of its online site and the manufacturers site. The Sanyo is advertised as having 2 hdmi ports when it has only one, the Vizio is advertised as only doing 720p when it does 1080i wich I verified the other night. In both instances the stores little plaquered's stated the mistake while the box and the website sites were correct.

I havent watched it much but I am thoroughly happy with what Ive seen so far, the tv automaticly resized the sd source to fit the whole screen and we watched forensic files on a very nice screen. My wife loves it and has remarked several times at how much better it is over what we had with the other tv, now all I have left to do is see how good the computer looks through the hdmi port.

Some more great things about this tv, it produces very little heat as compared to the sanyo and the SD quality is impecable and going through the menu options it has features that even some of the much more expensive models dont.

I am a big backer of Vizio. My PQ is as good as my neighbors Sony for nearly half the price. I know I tuned both of them:)

Gotta love it, I may just have to get another for the bedroom, Im definitely writing them a thank you letter about this.

What kills me about the Sanyo lcd is I have a 19 inch digital crt that has been great and I have no complaints and I had asumed that the lcd would have been just as good but I guess that in 3 years time the quality of the product has gone down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)