Cheapest and best option

mfoster711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
College Station, Tx
I am trying to recommend a Dish package to my brother-in-law but he needs the cheapest and best package that includes one DVR receiver. To put this in perspective, he has NEVER had Cable or Satellite TV in the 15 years since he moved out of his parents house. He is married now, has one kid, but they don't watch a lot of TV and only would want Dish if it offers basic service at a cheap price. In our city you only get one channel over the air so they are basically looking to get all the major networks and some common channels.

They have 2 TVs but in reality they would never need to watch both TVs at the same time but they would want both in HD. I was thinking they could get a 612 receiver with the Top 120 package. We could use an HDMI splitter from the 612 to send the signal to both TVs and that would be perfectly acceptable. How much would this cost the first year and second year? The Dish website is showing $24.99 for the first year and $49.99 after that. What other fees would there be with a 612 receiver? If I "refer" them, can they get this even cheaper?

Also, I see there is a "Smart Pack" and "Dish America" pack but I can't tell if these include all your local channels. Plus, I can't find what the Dish America package includes at all.

You can also use the component outs to HD to one tv and HDMI to the second, there is no need for the HDMI splitter if the cost of getting one is an issue. Also, locals are included in every package (sd and/or HD), but HD versions may not be available in all markets.

I wouldn't get the Smart pak. Too few channels for $30 and only the locals are in hd. Although add-on packages with hd channels broadcast in hd. Dish America and AT120 would be his best bet. There is no charge for the first Dish reveiver, but the 612 has a $7 dvr fee. But so does the 722K and it is designed to work with two tv's and has a larger hard drive. The second channel is in sd, but I have TV2 on my 722K connected to a 37" hdtv in my basement via 25' composite cables from monoprice.com and the pq is plenty acceptable. If he really feels that connecting 2 tv's with one 612 is the way to go, then monoprice.com sells long component cables too.

You can find channel line-ups here:

http://www.mydish.com/upgrades/english-packages/?WT.svl=left-nav

I am trying to recommend a Dish package to my brother-in-law but he needs the cheapest and best package that includes one DVR receiver. To put this in perspective, he has NEVER had Cable or Satellite TV in the 15 years since he moved out of his parents house. He is married now, has one kid, but they don't watch a lot of TV and only would want Dish if it offers basic service at a cheap price. In our city you only get one channel over the air so they are basically looking to get all the major networks and some common channels.

They have 2 TVs but in reality they would never need to watch both TVs at the same time but they would want both in HD. I was thinking they could get a 612 receiver with the Top 120 package. We could use an HDMI splitter from the 612 to send the signal to both TVs and that would be perfectly acceptable. How much would this cost the first year and second year? The Dish website is showing $24.99 for the first year and $49.99 after that. What other fees would there be with a 612 receiver? If I "refer" them, can they get this even cheaper?

Also, I see there is a "Smart Pack" and "Dish America" pack but I can't tell if these include all your local channels. Plus, I can't find what the Dish America package includes at all.
Have you checked www.antennaweb.org or www.tvfool.com for local stations with an over the air antenna? If he is also in College Station Tx. Antenna Web lists 6 stations with 11 channels from 3-17 miles for zip 77840. Five UHF and 1 VHF this would be the cheapest way of getting the major networks on his 2 HDTV sets. I wasn't able to check TVfool but I expect more stations might be available from Waco/Houston/Austin if he wanted to invest in FRINGE equipment.

The second channel is in sd, but I have TV2 on my 722K connected to a 37" hdtv in my basement via 25' composite cables from monoprice.com and the pq is plenty acceptable.

Really! How do you get an acceptable PQ and also the right aspect ratio on the HD/widescreen shows? I can capture a pretty darn good (DVD quality) widescreen presentation out of the TV1 composite outputs, since it will put out an anamorphic widscreen signal. But the TV2 output is letterboxed (picture framed on a widescreen TV), and zooming with the TV makes the PQ unacceptable.

Really! How do you get an acceptable PQ and also the right aspect ratio on the HD/widescreen shows? I can capture a pretty darn good (DVD quality) widescreen presentation out of the TV1 composite outputs, since it will put out an anamorphic widscreen signal. But the TV2 output is letterboxed (picture framed on a widescreen TV), and zooming with the TV makes the PQ unacceptable.
You're right, it is letterboxed. But that is acceptable for us on that set and the tv's upscaling is pretty good. There are four of us in the household, so mirroring wouldn't work and I'll be damned paying an extra $10 to convert that sd signal to hd via a H/J system. The tv is primarily used for gaming, but I have a Roku player and my HTPC connected to that tv, so Dish is just a secondary source for it. Also my rooftop antenna is plugged into that set, and in this area, ota hd (as well as much of Netflix/Amazon Prime hd) is superior to Dish's. Hell, we also watch Dish Anywhere through the HTPC on that set, so we have plenty of hd viewing options.

It's the "Some common channels" that prevents a good answer. Equipment in this case is the easier answer. Since they have HD in two rooms, I would not go with a 722 if the idea is using the second SD output since the two TV's are rarely watched independently according to your post. So either get a 722 with the idea of using the HDMI and Component outputs (or a splitter) or get a 612 doing the same. I have 612's with zero problems, but make sure there is good ventilation. That gives you two tuners and a built in OTA tuner. I would also recheck the channels available OTA in your area.

The package would be totally based on what they consider must haves if they are going to spend the money. There's a welcome package http://www.dish.com/entertainment/packages/welcome/ $20 and does not go up. (Meaning there is no discount that ends, and that includes the locals in HD. Or they can take advantage of the discounts and get a package they can afford with the discounts, with an eye towards dropping down after the discounts. (Yes that is allowed) I do not know the cost of installation if they do not get a package 120 and up.

Not sure if this would work. Get a 211 series, add an ehd for a 1 time fee of $40. Then run the component outs to the nearest tv and the hdmi to the remote tv. With this setup there is no dvr fee. Of course you would have to watch the same thing on both tv's. If they want to watch different programing, a hopper and a Joey would give tehm the ability to watch different programs on each tv and only a regular cable would run to each tv.

The 211 would work, but you would need a way to change the channel from the second room since the remote is IR. Also, costs can go up if you need a long HDMI cable.

I wouldn't go with the welcome or smart pack. Dish America has at least the NCIS/L&O channel (err...USA :D), Syfy, Comedy Central, TNT, HDNET movies

Dish does make uhf remote/ir receiver combo. I know I had one for my 211. Just put the receiver end in line of site for the 211. It will convert the uhf signal to ir to control the 211.

A 625, 622 or 722 only cost you the DVR fee of $7. There is no extra fee for the second TV. It's the cheapest way to get programming to two TVs and have two remotes. Dish America is a pretty good deal to start off with.

I can't find the Dish America package on Dish's main site. I see it as an option for $39 when I look at my customer account page but I can't find anything to compare the channels of Dish America VS AT120.

2 211s that can be turned into DVRs for $40 and one's own external hard drive(s).

Yes, a Duo would currently be cheaper, but 2 211s would have 2 HD tuners as well as DVRs...

In terms of packages: Smart Pack ($29.99), Dish America (39.99 I think now), Dish Latino Dos ($48.99), or America's Top 120 ($49.99).
To compare:
http://www.mydish.com/programmingguides/

There are also a la carte options like Encore ($5/month), Blockbuster @ Home ($10/month), or/and Heartland Package ($5/month) as well as other options.

Going with two 211's may give you HD on both TVs but that would only be important if the second TV is over 32". If the customer went with two 211's they would have to pay $40 to activate the DVR feature, pay for two EHDs(depending on size you will be spending over $100 total), $7 a month for the secondary 211 and you would have to set timers for each receiver since they do not communicate.

Don't get me wrong, this may work great for some but it's not always the best setup. You would actually be spending more this way because of the money spent on activating the DVR feature and purchasing EHDs. The secondary receiver fee and the 722's DVR fee of $7 are a wash. So the only benefit I see is that you would get HD on the second TV. If getting HD on the second TV was a priority I would spend the money on a Hopper and Joey, way more benefits for the cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)