Cheapest way to get HD on TV2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brg606

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
I have a vip 722 dual tuner dvr that outputs HD in living room and SD in bedroom. My normal billing fees are $69.99 top 200 plus $7 dvr fee. Would I have to upgrade to the hopper to get HD in the bedroom? I do not care about watching tv on my phone or tablet. Just wondering if I have to get another hd receiver or get another dvr altogether to get hd in bedroom? And what kind of additional charges can I expect? Sorry for the newb questions. Thanks.

Vip 211, $7 more a month. If you need DVR, add $40 one time fee and buy a powered EHD.

That's the cheapest short of throwing tv2 out the window and looking outside the bedroom window, the real infinite HD. Binoculars and telescopes area good option also.

Hopper/Joey is more but you can share the recordings and much better interface. Its worth it!

Cheapest way would be to get a 211k for $7/month. Optional $40 one time charge to make it able to take an external USB HD to make it a DVR.

Hopper would be $5 more per month than the 722 and the Joey $7, so total of $12/month more. But, you get the ability to watch the hopper from the joey for your extra $5.

Another option if you only watch one TV at a time would be to hook one up with component HD and the other one with HDMI and buying another UHF remote. Both outputs will be active at the same time, you just have the same picture on both TVs.

Reactions: yomama
Instead of a 211 you could add a VIP612 $10/mo. increase instead of $7 but less than the $12 of Hopper. VIP612 has dual tuners and built in hard drive and can share external hard drive with 722.

Reactions: TheKrell
so if I went with the 211 option, I would still keep the vip 722 in the living room? could we still watch dvr recordings in the bedroom, or would we need the additional $40 external hard drive option? I would have to go buy an external hard drive I guess?

wish they just made a dual dvr that output hd in 2 rooms.

Reactions: TheKrell
The 211 is not a DVR, adding your own external hardrive makes it one and the one time cost of $40. However you can not share recordings between the two receivers because the 211 is different than the other DISH receivers that can use an external hardrive and it is one tuner. $7 a month.

A vip612 would give you HD at the second TV plus two tuners and can share recordings with the 722. $10 a month.

If you can get the connection to the 2nd TV from the living room, you can use both HD outputs of the 722, HDMI and Component. You have HD at two locations, but each location would need to watch the same channel or DVR event at the same time.

TYhe one question I don't see being asked is do you want to be able to watched recorded programing on either TV? And do you want to be able to watch different programing on each TV at the same time? If so, then a Hopper and a Joey may be the best way to go. You would be able to watch what you recorded on the living room dvr in the bedroom and be able to watch different shows on each TV.

There is one other somewhat painful way to do this. Plug a Sling Adapter into your 722 and put a HTPC at your TV2 location. Go to DishAnywhere.com and enjoy. Lame, but it works.

TYhe one question I don't see being asked is do you want to be able to watched recorded programing on either TV? And do you want to be able to watch different programing on each TV at the same time? If so, then a Hopper and a Joey may be the best way to go. You would be able to watch what you recorded on the living room dvr in the bedroom and be able to watch different shows on each TV.

I did address that with two HD output solution and the incompatible receiver issue...

To add to TheKrell's thought - an actual Slingbox especially with the WD box works fantastically well and is much better than SD - nearly HD. To some it will look like HD.

I have a 50 inch in the living room, and a 32 inch in the bedroom. I use the 722k, but coax seems to provide good enough signal to where, on my 32 inch LCD, I can change the setting to stretch it up and down. The picture isn't quite 100% HD, but it is close enough to where it doesn't bother me or look bad/pixelated at all.... especially for the price. But again, each of us is different that way.

I did address that with two HD output solution and the incompatible receiver issue...

The way I read it was that the 2 receivers could share without any additional hardware. AFAIK, the only way to share would be to have an ehd. Transfer programing to the ehd and then take it to the other receiver and hook it up.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks for all the replies.....sounds like a pita. is it not possible to make a dual tuner dvr that outputs hd in 2 rooms?

I guess i'll just stick with what I've got IF they keep giving me big discounts every year. if not I might just put up an antenna and stream.

The way I read it was that the 2 receivers could share without any additional hardware. AFAIK, the only way to share would be to have an ehd. Transfer programing to the ehd and then take it to the other receiver and hook it up.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, you can share by using the two HD output method. It gives you everything except watching channels independently in the two rooms. The 211 solution gives you two rooms independent, but can not share. 612 gives you everything plus two tuners.

thanks for all the replies.....sounds like a pita. is it not possible to make a dual tuner dvr that outputs hd in 2 rooms?

I guess i'll just stick with what I've got IF they keep giving me big discounts every year. if not I might just put up an antenna and stream.

It's not a big deal once you understand the options. Tons of people have used one of those solutions because they did not want the Hopper because of costs or had no interest in whole home. For me $120 a year to have HD at second TV plus two more tuners, be able to share between the receivers, and have backup seems reasonable. Everyone has their own thoughts and ways to do it.

To add to TheKrell's thought - an actual Slingbox especially with the WD box works fantastically well and is much better than SD - nearly HD. To some it will look like HD.

As you intimated above, the TV2 outputs are not HD. So an external slingbox (of any variety) will not get you independent HD from the TV2 outputs. If you're going to mirror the TV1 outputs, there are much cheaper ways of doing that than a Slingbox. The Sling Adapter, on the other hand, is fairly cheap and it is the only way to get HD out of TV2 and avoid that additional monthly charge for another HD receiver.

I personally went with two leased 612s for our bedrooms.

I don't think there really is an easy way to get HD to multiple TVs from just one receiver. This is why Dish created the Hopper. The reason they do not make a dual tuner receiver than can feed two TVs in HD is because the HD signal does not pass through the coax. They could make a dual tuner receiver that outputs both TV1 and TV2 with HDMI but how many people are able to run an HDMI cable to their second TV? It wouldn't be feasible for most people and it would be a waste of money for Dish to put that in their receivers.

A receiver at each HDTV is still the most logical way of doing it.

I don't think there really is an easy way to get HD to multiple TVs from just one receiver. This is why Dish created the Hopper. The reason they do not make a dual tuner receiver than can feed two TVs in HD is because the HD signal does not pass through the coax. They could make a dual tuner receiver that outputs both TV1 and TV2 with HDMI but how many people are able to run an HDMI cable to their second TV? It wouldn't be feasible for most people and it would be a waste of money for Dish to put that in their receivers.

A receiver at each HDTV is still the most logical way of doing it.

I wonder how expensive a ATSC/QAM modulator would be to incorporate, or if there is even such a thing? I'm sure we'd never see it anyway with the eggs already in the Hopper basket. Probably would have HDCP issues as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)