Cheapest Way to get YES on HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jaelae

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
New Jersey
My girlfriends parents got an HDTV Plasma Screen and currently have an older analog cablebox. Now I hooked up the coax cable directly to the TV and they get all of their channels (They have Family Basic) including YES which they get on all other TVs with just the coax cable hooked up. Additionally, the TV pulls up all HD channels (2, 4, 5, etc...) except for YES HD.

Now, they don't want to upgrade their plan for just 1 additional channel (CableVision says you need the IO Basic to get it) but that doesn't make sense as it is included with the Family Basic (well regular YES and additional HD channels are). Any ideas what would let them get just the YES HD network without spending a lot more per month? I know CableCards aren't that great, but, since this TV is CableCard Ready it would be an option if YES HD would be useable. Any idea? Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for the help!

jaelae said:
Now, they don't want to upgrade their plan for just 1 additional channel (CableVision says you need the IO Basic to get it) but that doesn't make sense as it is included with the Family Basic (well regular YES and additional HD channels are).

Actually, it makes perfect sense - since Family Cable is an extra cost tier above Broadcast Basic service, CV is scrambling YES HD, so that people that ONLY have Broadcast Basic are not freeloading off of expanded basic HD channels, such as YES HD.
As was just said, getting a cablecard would be your best (& cheapest) bet... ;)

Now don't take this the wrong way but it seems kind of a waste to have a HDTV plasma and still have an old analog box. But like the previous poster said the best way would be to go cable card. Not only will you get YES-HD but all the other HD channels that have corresponding channels in SD. Only problem will be they won't be able to use ondemand or PPV. But if they still have a analog box now I guess they don't care about that stuff any way.

Excellent. Currently they do get all the other HD channels ( i was surprised those were not scrambled and thsi is with no box hooked up). I'll have them get the CableCard and see how things go. I believe they have an "installation" charge from what I have previously read which I find ridiculous since I would think you just plug it in but I'll see what they say.

Thanks for all your help!

The "installation" is to verify that you have a hd tv to install it in. They don't want to give out hd equipment to people who don't have hd tvs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts