Cheapest Wireless Connection for DishOnline

kovach

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
St. Louis
I have a wireless modem that my laptop and Wii work fine with, but those of course have the necessary included hardware to pick up the signal.

What would I need to purchase and install to my 622 to pick up that signal wirelessly?

Although the slingbox would be a useful upgrade to the 622, I don't think that was the wireless connectivity that the OP was looking for. I believe he wants to hook up the 622 to broadband. One way is to use a homeplug adapter as the 622 has homeplug support built in. The second is using a wireless gaming adapter. As I have my 722 wired into my router, I wouldn't be able to help the OP any more, but maybe others can chime in. Good luck!

I believe he wants to hook up the 622 to broadband. One way is to use a homeplug adapter as the 622 has homeplug support built in. The second is using a wireless gaming adapter.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do, thanks!

I believe he wants to hook up the 622 to broadband. One way is to use a homeplug adapter as the 622 has homeplug support built in. The second is using a wireless gaming adapter.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do, thanks!

Any and all other suggestions would be appreciated!

HomePlug

FWIW, I recommend the HomePlug route. It's dead simple: buy the HomePlug adapter, plug it into the wall next to your wireless router/AP, run a CAT5 from the adapter to the router/AP and, bang, you're done. My 622 automagically found my network and configured itself; I didn't have to lift a finger.

Now, the fact that DISHONline is totally worthless is another story..........:)

Homeplug is not simple, have you tried buying a homeplug adapter, you can't find them anywhere! I have been to BB, CC, Radio Shack and cannot find them. WHERE DO YOU FIND THEM!?

TAWHITE, which BB's are you referring? I live in Western Illinois as well and would like to buy one direct from the store if possible. I have been to the Quincy Best Buy. Thats the only BB that I know of in Western Illinois. Are their others? Did I miss the one in Quincy?

I think I will go the wireless bridge route since I am also considering a slingbox and I will need to broadband connection at the entertainment center to be distrubuted to both.

TAWHITE, which BB's are you referring? I live in Western Illinois as well and would like to buy one direct from the store if possible. I have been to the Quincy Best Buy. Thats the only BB that I know of in Western Illinois. Are their others? Did I miss the one in Quincy?

A little north from you. I have seen them in the QC area, moline, IL, Davenport, IA. I would think Peoria too but haven't looked there.

Check out this thread - they discuss the homeplug connection in depth plus I think they mention the wireless ethnernet bridge too. Personally, I am going to sit tight until I hear about how the wireless -n format works out. The -g is up to 54 mb throughput while the homeplug is up to 85 mbps so it looks like the homeplug would be faster than wireless -g.

The latest post to this thread shows a surge protector that the homeplug system will work with plus it also has an RJ-45 module that looks like it would be an additional port for you network. Check it out and see what you think.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne.../103982-homeplug-built-into-622-how-cool.html

For me, Wireless G, N or homeplug all work for me. All the speed standards are WAY faster than my 2MB download speeds on my broadband. Living in a rural area sucks. At least I live in town so I can at least have something!

You just need a wireless ethernet bridge. (basically turns a standard wired internet port into a wireless port.) Target has this one for $69.99. Belkin 802.11g Wireless Ethernet Adapter - F5D7330 : Target

For me, that's the right idea but it doesn't seem to support WPA2 which is a deal-killer for me. I wish the Buffalo version of this was still available (it had 3 or 4 ports available). :(

Edit: I just looked at user manual and version 2 of the product does seem to support WPA and WPA2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)