Check card info hacked or stolen

peano

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
I was using a check card to autopay my Dish Network bill. They are the ONLY retailer that has the number. I have never used the card for any other purchase with any other company.

So someone at Dish stole the info or their server was hacked. My guess is the former.

My bank is conducting a thorough investigation and they can see I have only ever used the card for Dish Network with the transaction history.

I wonder if Dish will cooperate.

That sucks. I had my CC skimmed at a local retailer last year. Then 3 weeks later my new card with a different number was also compromised. Based on that and the little use the 2nd card had, the police were able to narrow it down to just 2 different possible locations.

DISH Network takes these claims very seriously, and we are more than happy to assist in any way that we can. Please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I may review your account. Thank you!

So you haven't ever used it as a debit are either?
Yeah. I have an extremely difficult time believing that peano has never used that card anywhere else. Just because the number isn't stored online or assigned to an account doesn't mean it isn't out there, ready to be hacked away. A number of companies have been cracked where the crackers (hacker is a term for something else) stole database info that stored purchase data and whatnot.

It would be rare (but not unheard of) for someone to never use a card anywhere at anytime but for payment to one company.

This is why we use one of my low limit credit cards just for our DISH autopay. I never trust any company with my debit card info for autopay.

Yeah. I have an extremely difficult time believing that peano has never used that card anywhere else. Just because the number isn't stored online or assigned to an account doesn't mean it isn't out there, ready to be hacked away. A number of companies have been cracked where the crackers (hacker is a term for something else) stole database info that stored purchase data and whatnot.

I have NEVER used it anywhere else!! I got the card specifically to use for Dish Network and only Dish Network.

I have NEVER used it anywhere else!! I got the card specifically to use for Dish Network and only Dish Network.
Fine, just sounds unusual. There is one other source of the security break, the bank itself.

Fine, just sounds unusual. There is one other source of the security break, the bank itself.

Absolutely correct! I used to work at a bank several years back and I had access to every single client account, including full account numbers, anytime I wanted to see them. I could have known what every person in town had in the bank had I cared. (And for those who may wonder...NO, I did not do anything unethical or illegal with that info, LOL.)

But yes, a bank employee most certainly could have accessed the account number also.

I have three different main credit cards.

"Shopping" card - only for in person transactions
"Internet" card - only for internet purchases
"Bills" card - only for companies like Dish network, and only for ACH type payments

I do it this way so if one gets comprised, I do a quick lost/stolen on that one and don't have to impact the others. I don't carry the "bills" or "internet" with me. They stay at home in a safe place.

I only use the "internet" card when the merchant will not accept paypal. I use the paypal security key, which requires a token from my key. (random number that changes all of the time)

https://www.paypal.com/za/cgi-bin/w...iven/securitycenter/PayPalSecurityKey-outside

Bank of America has a "shop safe" program that lets you generate virtual card numbers. You can setup a specific transaction, a low limit, or a specific expiration. In other words, you could setup one just for Dish and add a little funds each month to cover the bill.

Shop Safe | Credit Card Fraud Protection with Bank of America

Last edited:
The problem with ID theft is, no one really wants to stop it for real. The solutions most thought of are better ways for the consumer to protect themselves. If some type of law enforcement would track down these guys & cut their nuts off... there would probably be less of it.

How hard could it really be for the processing companies to write software that alerts local law enforcement when a stolen card is swiped? Instead, the terminal just comes back "declined", and the thief just walks out the door.

How hard would it be for law enforcement to call a business where a stolen card number was used, and find out the tracking number of the item bought with the stolen card? Then get with the shipping company & have law enforcement there to arrest who ever takes delivery.

Instead, we just get new cards with new numbers & move on... and the so do the thieves.

Cheers

Wells Fargo (formerly Wachovia) recently sent me a new card .. with "my protection" in mind.

No one with WF will say what triggered it, say that if its part of an active investigation they can't ... etc..

It pisses me off, that they can hide behind such bullsh*t and never own up to what happened ... or if they do, they won't send notices around and you'll have to keep contacting them until the "case" is resolved, etc..

I had my discover card number stolen, that I haven't made a charge on in years.

Its either your bank or DISH Network that had the security breach.

If it was me personally, I would get a new card from my bank and move on. If you don't trust Dish, then pay them with a check or money order every month.

i am thinking about going to autopay for my dish network package. phone, internet and tv. but we have never had a credit card or debit card. wife and i have a local account with the bank that wifes ss and one of my retirement accounts are deposited. that will be less hassle to deal with each month. don't think that account can be hacked. charlie

It is much safer to use a credit card to pay for something than either a debit card or even a check. Money taken fraudulently from a checking account comes out initially when the fraud occurs, and even if returned after a dispute, can cause bounced checks for the legitimate ones that you did write. This can cause all kinds of headache to clear up. If you have to dispute a credit card, it won't affect your available cash and cause checks to bounce, overdraft fees, etc.

The card processing company has historically been the culprit. The hackers target the processing companys who have a record of all the transactions they clear. Visa/MC are working hard to prevent them from keeping these numbers. Visa will often issue us an alert to cards that may have been compromised. Our policy is to replace the card out of an abundance of caution. This is why you may get a new card even if no fraud has occurred. The real way to fix the problem is place some of the loss on the merchant. Currently, the bank takes all the loss. Merchants have no incentive to validate the card/owner, but they do pay interchange to the bank. Customers have no liability, so there is really no reason to worry too much. If your bank delays your refund or charges NSF fees due to the fraud, find another bank!

i am thinking about going to autopay for my dish network package. phone, internet and tv. but we have never had a credit card or debit card. wife and i have a local account with the bank that wifes ss and one of my retirement accounts are deposited. that will be less hassle to deal with each month. don't think that account can be hacked. charlie

You should get a rewards card. My card pays 1% cash back. I set it up to automatically redeem the rewards each December. If your phone/internet/dish is about$1500 a year, that's still $15 back. Not to mention the postage you save. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts