CHECK OUT THE NEW POLAR MOUNT

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

longhalkilo

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
If you go to the Moteck.com under PRODUCTS you'll find the item DS-12 Polar Mount for a 1.2m offset dish. The specs. for this item are 110 degrees (70E+40W or 40E+70W) and 20-80 degrees Elevation Angle. It looks like this unit can be controlled by a satellite positioner (V3000 G Box or V-Box ll ). Looks like the answer for my heavy (41 lbs. 1.2m ) dish. This could be the answer for many mini-Bud experiments. Does any one here have any info on this product and who might retail in Canada?

Interesting. But as with many similar items we've found, a lot of specs are missing from the DS-12.
Of course, if it works and is reasonably priced, it'd be much more reliable than the usual USALS motors for those heavy dishes.

What I want, is a heavy duty mount, that runs H-H, and -is- USALS capable!
But, it's late, and I probably don't know what I'm talking about. :D

I looked at it. The pivot arm the actuator pushes/pulls looks to be just a steel strap. I wonder how it would stand up to buffeting winds while trying to hold up a heavy firberglass dish like a winegard. It would be interesting if some samples were around to test....

Cadsulfide, I would also love to test one of these units. I was originally going to order an H180 from Sadoun that would handle the weight but not the wind load here on the east coast of Canada. I have done a Google on DS-12 and could not find a retailer anywhere, just the manufacturer from China.

Cadsulfide, I would also love to test one of these units. I was originally going to order an H180 from Sadoun that would handle the weight but not the wind load here on the east coast of Canada. I have done a Google on DS-12 and could not find a retailer anywhere, just the manufacturer from China.

When I see some of the homebrew units people have built, they look sturdy.

Pretty light looking construction, but then again, it says 1.2m dish max. Actuator travel speed seems pretty slow. 300mm stroke, 2.6mm/sec=almost 2 minutes from fully extended to fully retracted.

Another potential player in this space is a product known as the “Maestro Jack.” Brian of SatelliteAV was kind enough to allow me to test one of these products that was apparently under evaluation/consideration by his company. Initially it looks perfect for the mini-BUD project I am working on for the current “vacation house” – a long story in itself. I hope to have a mini BUD system with an Azure Shine offset dish, the Maestro Jack, a SatelliteAV C and KU Band LNBF, a SatelliteAV C-Band LNBF Bracket and a conical scalar ring (thanks to brotherhood!) up and operational soon. Take that HOA! Anyway, back to the Maestro Jack…

It looks to be well built with little use of plastic. It is rated for a 1.8m dish and I found a PDF of the installation manual in English (I will try to attach it - never uploaded before). I can upload some photos if there is interest, perhaps on the weekend. I may try it out with a 90cm Azure Shine here at home before testing at the remote site. I’d be happy to post a more detailed review once it is operational, if there is any interest.

The only immediate shortcoming seems to be the motor azimuth adjustability range (approx. 100 degrees versus about 140 degrees on my SG2100) but the SG2100 wouldn’t be too happy with a 1.2m dish on it, let alone a 1.8m dish. I’ll report more as I dig deeper!

Attachments

• MaestroJack_en.pdf
    666.7 KB · Views: 1,686
Sorry, but what does that mean? Pardon the dumb question. Is it basically saying it do as much as 110 either way from center???? Or 55?
Neither, I believe, it means it can be set up to move 70° one way and 40° the other way from straight up center - (meaning being aimed at your true south).
Bob

The SG2100 dish mover claims 70 degrees east and west of true south for a total of 140 degrees. Some of the others above are asymmetric, as stated above, farther in one direction than another. The Maestro Jack says 50 degrees east and west of center. Does that help?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts