Check Out This Dispute

Actually, its the Regional Sports channels that have the fewer viewer and are still expensive. Charlie has stated publicly many times "someone is gonna go without Regionals . . . we were prepared to do it, but came to a [decent] deal." For now, losing ESPN would be too much of a loss/hit, but I can see more Regionals being dropped by Dish, perhaps one by one or two or three by three. No doubt, come in a few years when retransmission deals expire, someone may actually drop ESPN, at least for a short period. It will be an interesting thing to see.

I agree on this - and I can see it happening here in Chicago pretty quickly. With the Cubs starting the new RSN with a reported asking price of $6 per month per subscriber, no way Dish carries it. And with NBC Sports Chicago already pretty expensive, and having lost the Chicago Fire last year, and most likely losing the Cubs to their own RSN, it lowers the value of NBC Sports Chicago. So I could see NBC Sports Chicago as one of the first to go.

Actually, its the Regional Sports channels that have the fewer viewer and are still expensive. Charlie has stated publicly many times "someone is gonna go without Regionals . . . we were prepared to do it, but came to a [decent] deal." For now, losing ESPN would be too much of a loss/hit, but I can see more Regionals being dropped by Dish, perhaps one by one or two or three by three. No doubt, come in a few years when retransmission deals expire, someone may actually drop ESPN, at least for a short period. It will be an interesting thing to see.

The regionals have more value than ESPN.

Here we have the Tigers, Redwings and Pistons on our regionals.

You take that away and you’ll likely have some serious issues.

Take away ESPN, it only effects a few games such as the game of the week.

Other markets you may be able to get away with it, if there is not a major sports team presence.

I think Universities should be stopped from requiring their students pay a sports fee. Most students today are no longer interested in attending sports games. Look at the bowl games. There are very few student faces in the stands. At Texas Tech the student section has become a ghost zone. They are now planning to reduce concession costs and allow alcohol to try to get the fans back. What use to be full stadiums and people on waiting lists to get seats has disappeared. These same students will not be future ESPN viewers. The NFL is now seeing a loss in attendance and viewership. ESPN Monday Night Football has 1/2 the viewers as in their past.

I think Universities should be stopped from requiring their students pay a sports fee. Most students today are no longer interested in attending sports games. Look at the bowl games. There are very few student faces in the stands. At Texas Tech the student section has become a ghost zone. They are now planning to reduce concession costs and allow alcohol to try to get the fans back. What use to be full stadiums and people on waiting lists to get seats has disappeared. These same students will not be future ESPN viewers. The NFL is now seeing a loss in attendance and viewership. ESPN Monday Night Football has 1/2 the viewers as in their past.

Are you kidding!!? Which universities are you talking about??! Ever watched a Big 12 game or seen the crowd at a KU or MU game?

Are you kidding!!? Which universities are you talking about??! Ever watched a Big 12 game or seen the crowd at a KU or MU game?
. Kansas has a 50,000 seat football stadium and averaged about 25,000 this year. MU is not in the big 12 for years . It is in the SEC. So no I am not kidding. Attendance is also measured on seats sold not actual seats filled. So since student seats are part of their required tuition fees. They are counted as seats sold but they are not filling those seats. I attend the games and see the empty seats.

Then that is a Tech problem. OU and OSU are not having that problem, although prices are getting out of hand, which is why we stopped getting season tickets a few years ago, when it started costing nearly $1000 a game for a family of 4 to go.

RSN’s along with the other sports channels do need to be put in their own tier though. I rarely watch Fox SW, Fox MW or Fox OK. Sometimes in the spring for college softball and baseball, bu that’s it. The high school football games have moved to Cox and OTA or on the high schools own websites. I have no interest in NBA, MLB or NHL. The only times I watch espn, fan or nbcsn are for OU, OSU, Notre Dame football or of Australian or Canadian Football games. Basically 3 months of the year I might tune them for 3-6 hrs a week, yet I’m forced to pay for them 12months of the year if I want to see any other subscription tv.

If they’re being added as below the line costs, which they are on Cox, then Locals and RSN’s need to be ala-carte offers only.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
And yet, this is why I dropped all sports programming and now listen to games on radio broadcasts. Sports is the ultimate commodity, and I'm done paying for mediocre programming with live broadcasts that I can simply listen to while I get things done. Everything I miss is usually up on YouTube in highlights by the next morning.

That's all what sports are, yet we've allowed it to become a multi-billion dollar industry. The thing that we don't do, sink a bunch of money and time into, and get lazy and unhealthy all within the process.

As for me, I set aside $200 a year and buy season tickets to a local ECHL franchise. With that, I get my hockey fix. I love the NHL, but not enough to limit my ability to make my home better and do nice things for my family. All to say I got to see a game? In the end, I've realized that it all isn't worth it.

The ESPN/Verizon standoff is over. It will be very interesting to see what comes out in the next couple of days. We won't know how much more they will pay for ESPN, but my guess is that if the average is $8.14 right now, that $10 mark will be showing up shortly.

To add insult to injury ESPN has ruined the show that built the network, SportsCenter. To quote Don Imus they have turned that show into an indecipherable embarrassment of broadcast incompetence. If I wanted to watch MTV for sports news I would.

I think we all like and respect Claude. I think what the biggest issue is the constant reminder that he is not a fan of dish. I will give him credit, however, he has been supportive somewhat lately, and I believe knows that the whole industry right now is.... expletive...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)