Check Switch / Aquiring Satellite

Rookie

Original poster
Sep 12, 2004
Over the past couple of weeks I cannot change channels without loosing satellite or check switch message coming on. I have found if I leave my tv on in the living room, the channels will come back. This is getting very aggravating. I have had no changes to my system. I have one dish and 4 tvs connected (Dish Network). Could this really indicate a switch problem or is Dish Network messing with software?

You didn't say if you had legacy lnb's using sw21's. When I had that setup and the problem you described, I would go out and clean connectors into the sw 21 (oxidized from high humidity). That would clear it up. Make sure all connections are good by disconnecting and reconnecting (including splitters in house). Hope this works for you.

Welcome aboard, Rookie!

Unfortunately, you haven't given us enough to go on to help you.

You say you have "4 tvs connected". Do you mean you have 4 receivers? That's a lot different than having 1 with the output split 4 ways. I'll assume you've got 4 receivers.

So, tell us the model numbers of your receivers for a start.

Next, we need to know more about your actual "outdoor" gear. You can start by going to the receiver's Check Switch screen ad posting what it says. Wouldn't hurt to make sure each box says the same thing. Tell us if not.

While you're making the rounds, go to each box's Point Dish screen and note your signal strengths for satellites 110 AND 119, transponders 11 AND 12. If you have a 3rd bird, give us those numbers too - tp 11 & 12 if possible - not all birds use them.

Once we've got some more info, we should be able to help you out. :)

Here is some more info. Four receivers for four tv's. When I run check switch the same tv comes up with check connections.(not every time) Model #'s for receivers 1000, (2) 2700 & 3700. The 3700 has the check connections. It also shows 119-even has an X in the box. Signal stengths are 1000 - 119 (11)90 (12) 80 / 110 (11) 80 (12) 80 2700 - 119 (11)105 (12)115 / 110 (11)85 (12)80 2700 - 119 (11)100 (12)110 / 110 (11)80 (12)75 3700 - 119 (11)115 (12)95 / 110 (11)90 (12)90. The model 1000 is in the process of being chnged to a different model that will receive lower # channels. All receivers are using SW/42 switch. I can't help with the equipment outside. Never touched it and never received any info when it was installed by Dish Network. Hope this is what was needed. Thanks for help.

boba - it may not be a switch problem, but a bad connector on the feed being used for 119-Even. In any event, an examination of the outdoor gear is in order at some point soon.

Swapping the 3700 with one at another location (do your Check Switches!) would rule out any weird receiver problem.

Note: You have said you 'leave tv on'. It's important to turn "off" your receivers preferably every night so that they can accept new software.

Rechecked the type of switches and they are (2) SW-42 and (2) SMS-4 connected to Dish 500.We did originally have (years ago). 2 dishes and Dish Network changed it to one dish (a long time ago) Nothing has been moved or changed in a very long time. These problems just started occuring. When I mentioned we leave the tv on, what I meant is while watching one tv(3700) the "aquiring sattelite" warning comes on (for only certain channels) as sson as we turn on the (2700) tv the picture pops back on.

Wow. that's some pretty old gear, and there's a lot of interconnections to worry about.

I'm back to swapping the receivers around to see if the problem moves. If it does, you likely have a weird receiver problem.

If the problem does not move with the receiver, then check all connectors, but as boba says, it could very well be a switch problem. Overall, it might be best to just replace all that old stuff with a Legacy Quad LNBF.

Same here - it's got to be a 2x4 multi-switch, tho. ;)

To drive a pair of SW-42s, he needs 4 feeds from each bird's LNBF. So, Dual LNBF to SMS-4 to SW-42. Repeat for the other bird.

So he's got 24, that's TWENTY-FOUR, connectors in the area of his switches! :no

Yes the connections to all those switches is a wiring phenomenon, but it has worked after all this time. If I do change to the equipment suggested above, where is the best place to purchase and can this be a do-it-yourself project?

With a Legacy Quad all you would have to do is remove the two LNBs off the dish and put the quad in there place. The four cables going to the receivers would be connected directly to the quad right at the dish.

I moved around the receivers and the problem stayed at the same location. The receiver works fine. I believe this has to do with the switch as the check connections diagram is off and on with a X in the 110 even space now in addition to the 119 even. It seems logical to remove all those switches and go with the Legacy Quad. If I do in the future want to add another receiver what are my choices with this LNB?

Crossing the 4-tuner limit with a single device is an issue regardless of type. You have a bunch of Legacy receivers, so upgrading your outside equipment to DishPro would be very expensive - you'd need either a $200 DPP44 switch, or a bunch of DP Adapters.

However, a DP Twin LNBF driving a DPP44 would give you a lot of flexibility. Note that the Twin connects directly to the DPP44 without any other stuff - that's the advantage of DishPro over Legacy for the outdoor gear.

The DPP44 is the new do-everything switch. It's the only DP thing that can handle your Legacy receivers without the expense of external adapters.

It is also able to drive a dual-tuner box with a single feed when you use a DP Separator (low-cost little box). Finally, it can be cascaded with another DP switch to add more tuners if needed, but the DPP44 can handle up to 4 dual-tuner boxes - and that type is likely what you would be adding - replacing an existing tuner at the same time.

Once you're DishPro, there's LOTS of installation flexibility. Note that you MUST have RG-6 rated at 2150MHz to use it. Coincidentally, the symptoms of bad cable with DP are a loss of even transponders.

It's a tough decision - $85 Legacy Quad vs. big bucks to go DishPro. It all depends on how much money you're willing to spend.

OR if you have must-carry locals on a wing satellite, E* is obligated to come add a second dish - you might have to commit to locals for a year or something. The typical second dish hookup would involve a DP upgrade - it's worth cheking into.

I am interested in more of your last comment Re: local channels. I have carried the local channels (east and west coast)for some time and will continue to keep them. My main reason for hanging on to DN. I just didn't get the "wing satellite" & E adding a second dish. Can you elaborate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)